Hamilton Street Railway

Hybrid0920

Ooo Hamilton is finally getting 17 new Hybrids next year, any comment whether these will be 40 foot hybrids or 60 foot hybrids?

HSR also changed the rear destination sign format a few days ago, it now displays like this: "1" in huge writing, then flashes to a different screen with the route name, with king, it covers the FULL screen. Its the same with all routes. I think its better this way.

Ooo Hamilton is finally getting 17 new Hybrids next year, any comment whether these will be 40 foot hybrids or 60 foot hybrids?

Once again I think the media has not got their facts straight. As far as I have heard, the 17 buses for next year (1001-1017) will be diesels, just the same as the ones for late this year (0901-0917).

Here are some shots from yesterday.

Kevin

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IMG_0016.JPG

HSR also changed the rear destination sign format a few days ago, it now displays like this: "1" in huge writing, then flashes to a different screen with the route name, with king, it covers the FULL screen. Its the same with all routes. I think its better this way.

So far every 03xx that I have seen has had the change in the rear route display. None of the 06xx, 07xx or 08xx that I've observed have had this change as of yet.

The AA systems will not be active for the start of September. It is hoped to get them all running by the beginning of November. Test routes 6, 7, 8, and 34 will be the first to have the announcements and will probably go live sometime in September.

Could you let us know when those routes go live? Though I don't use those routes I'll have to make an exception to see the system live. :lol:

So far every 03xx that I have seen has had the change in the rear route display. None of the 06xx, 07xx or 08xx that I've observed have had this change as of yet.

Also saw an 05xx with the new rear route display format. 0510 to be specific. Also saw an 02xx with the new format this morning.

Accordion bus repairs going smoothly

Spectator staff and wire services (Sep 2, 2009)

The city expects seven articulated buses will be fixed and back on the road on Tuesday.

Don Hull, director of transit, said mechanics have been repairing the accordion-style buses since they were pulled out of service earlier this summer after one vehicle suffered a broken link.

"We're well along in the repairs," he said, noting there was a delay in receiving parts.

Hull said the plan is to have the buses back in operation for Tuesday, which is expected to be a busy transit day as students return to school. The buses will be used on the rapid transit A and B lines.

The problem with the specialized vehicles is not expected to reoccur as the maker, New Flyer Industries of Winnipeg, has upgraded its lubrication schedule, said Hull. New Flyer also paid the city's repair bill.

The province recently added another 18 articulated buses to the city's transit fleet

Accordion bus repairs going smoothly

Spectator staff and wire services (Sep 2, 2009)

The city expects seven articulated buses will be fixed and back on the road on Tuesday.

Don Hull, director of transit, said mechanics have been repairing the accordion-style buses since they were pulled out of service earlier this summer after one vehicle suffered a broken link.

"We're well along in the repairs," he said, noting there was a delay in receiving parts.

Hull said the plan is to have the buses back in operation for Tuesday, which is expected to be a busy transit day as students return to school. The buses will be used on the rapid transit A and B lines.

The problem with the specialized vehicles is not expected to reoccur as the maker, New Flyer Industries of Winnipeg, has upgraded its lubrication schedule, said Hull. New Flyer also paid the city's repair bill.

The province recently added another 18 articulated buses to the city's transit fleet

Kinda fitting...........new parts, new service, all goes hand in hand.....hurray to a new fleet ready for another Hamilton transit cycle!

The sign crews were out today installing signs for the A-Line. They were doing the mountain stops, but nothing in the lower city earlier tonight. It seems the 20 and the 27 have separate stops in front of Mountain Plaza. There were already people standing at the A-Line stop, watching the Upper James buses roll by.

The sign crews were out today installing signs for the A-Line. They were doing the mountain stops, but nothing in the lower city earlier tonight. It seems the 20 and the 27 have separate stops in front of Mountain Plaza. There were already people standing at the A-Line stop, watching the Upper James buses roll by.

People never read signs. :D Are the signs the same as the BLine signs, except in maroon and yellow? I think that it might be cool if the buses didn't display the '10' or the '20' in the route display sign and instead focused on 'ALine Express' and 'BLine Express' to further differentiate the routes as express routes. Almost the way VIVA is distinct from the rest of YRT or iExpress is distinct from GRT.

I take it the separate stops in front of the plaza are to permit easier access for left turn on to Fennell w/b?

I take it the separate stops in front of the plaza are to permit easier access for left turn on to Fennell w/b?

Likely as the stop closest to Fennell (unless it was relocated with the construction) would make for a hard crossing of all lanes to get in the left lane. A normal bus could likely do it but I would bet a DE60LFR would block the lanes if it tried.

ALine starts tomorrow. :blink: We'll see then ... I'll be on it bright and early.

The new panphlets for the 5-Delaware, dated September 6th, 2009 for its service adjustment beginning at that date. I'm wondering. Are there going to be a second batch of those schedules that will be released soon? Or, would the stop points be properly alligned at a later date?

On another note, I take it that the Labour Day Classic (Oskie-wee-wee) LOL...anyways, there must've been a ton of buses for the Ticat Express from each location (University Plaza, Donwtown, Eastgate Square and Lime Ridge Mall. Would the Novas be starting out today?

I rode 929 from Limeridge to Ivor Wynne on the Ti-Cat express....All I can say is WOW!!! very nice riding bus, hardly hear a thing in terms of engine noise! On the way back, 927 was broken down at Ivor Wynne, didn't appear able to start. I never got a chance to ask the super what was wrong. 936 is the bus we got back to Limeridge. This again was a very nice bus, packed as we made a stop downtown first, slow running up the Clairemont, as the AIR was blasting, nice and cold though! Otherwise a great ride from this coach! Hope they serve Hamilton well!

I rode 929 from Limeridge to Ivor Wynne on the Ti-Cat express....All I can say is WOW!!! very nice riding bus, hardly hear a thing in terms of engine noise! On the way back, 927 was broken down at Ivor Wynne, didn't appear able to start. I never got a chance to ask the super what was wrong. 936 is the bus we got back to Limeridge. This again was a very nice bus, packed as we made a stop downtown first, slow running up the Clairemont, as the AIR was blasting, nice and cold though! Otherwise a great ride from this coach! Hope they serve Hamilton well!

I was also on bus # 936 tonight to Lime Ridge Mall on the way back from the Ticat game. Being a new bus, it had a few bugs (destination sign not working, interior lights not working in the rear section).

All Tigercat extras today (12 buses in total) were the new 0900 series artics, for their first official day of service. They really were needed as all buses left Ivor Wynne packed and most returned for a second trip.

Kevin

I was also on bus # 936 tonight to Lime Ridge Mall on the way back from the Ticat game. Being a new bus, it had a few bugs (destination sign not working, interior lights not working in the rear section).

All Tigercat extras today (12 buses in total) were the new 0900 series artics, for their first official day of service. They really were needed as all buses left Ivor Wynne packed and most returned for a second trip.

Kevin

My pleasure to be on the same bus Kev! Yes, forgot the rear section was dark. Made for a comical ride home with all those guys at the back! At least they were having fun and not wrecking the bus. I guess the driver of 927 was enjoying her water with her feet up on the farebox...must've been bored waiting for another coach and such! Hope all goes well with them for tomorrow's revenue debut!

I was surprised to wait for the Barton to downtown at 8pm and have 934 come up to me at Woodward/Melvin. The new artics are incredibly silent, the engine is almost completely inaudible at cruise or idle. There are a lot of little interior changes that differentiate these artics from the 06 order. More plastic mouldings around the articulated joint section, LED lighting like the '08 D40LF's and a different LED light set up in the joint section. Very smooth and quiet ride.

I was surprised to wait for the Barton to downtown at 8pm and have 934 come up to me at Woodward/Melvin. The new artics are incredibly silent, the engine is almost completely inaudible at cruise or idle. There are a lot of little interior changes that differentiate these artics from the 06 order. More plastic mouldings around the articulated joint section, LED lighting like the '08 D40LF's and a different LED light set up in the joint section. Very smooth and quiet ride.

I was waiting for an eastboud Barton last night and I saw that one pass me at Wentworth around 8:25pm. I was caught off guard and didn't get my camera out in time.

The 0900's are out in full force today. All of route 20 and 51 had artics and there were 9 on the B Line as well. Three of the 0600's (0610,11,12) have been returned to service.

Yeah, I saw nothing but 0900s today on both ALine and 51 University. I only noticed one non-artic on the BLine.

I noticed on the new 0900s that, aside from was was mentioned earlier, the raised rear section seems lower to the ground than the other buses. The steps seem shorter and the entire section isn't as high. The ride does seem much smoother and the buses are really quiet. The driver I had on the ALine commented that when he turned on the bus this morning he almost thought that it didn't start as he didn't hear anything, until he felt the bus gently rumbling.

The ALine seems as though it is very conservatively timed right now. We were absolutely crawling and going very slowly and he had trouble not being early. We even sat at Twenty Rd for 3-4 minutes. Of course once people realize the route is there that might pick up. Four people actually got on a downtown-bound ALine in Mount Hope! They obviously got the news. Did the HSR direct mail the residents?

I think it's a great idea that the ALine goes onto the campus of Mohawk College. I think that the 21 Upper Kenilworth should follow the exact same routing through the college. I don't think that many students make the walk to Fennel/West 5th to catch it downtown, especially with the construction going on on the Fennel side of campus. Though the college might need to make some modifications to the drop off are that the buses currently use. This morning there was a 35 College sitting at the doors and three smaller shuttle buses when my ALine pulled up. The area was PACKED. We barely fit.

After going to the Hamilton International Airport for the first time since I can remember I really think the outside of the terminal needs some beautification. Aside from the modern signs it almost looks like an abandoned lot.

Guest HAMILTON BUS

I rode 926 today and absolutely loved it. Very smooth ride and i love the LED lighting in the bus... I cant get enough of the SLICK look of theses buses aswell.. They certantily look amazing..

Not only were all of the '09 artics out today and a few '06 artics but a few Nova's were also on the road on the King. Don't know if they're making a regular return to service or if they were just on as extras though. There was a bad accident on Queenston which completely shut down the 2 Eastbound lanes between Reid to Nash so they might have been extras because of that. The King and B-Line's were taking very large detours.