MÉTRO

SMS

Ottawa street signs have started this as well, with "ch. de Montréal Rd.", "av. de la Gaspé Ave.", and so on. One noteworthy example is Quebec Street, which I always thought was named after the province until the "rue de Québec St." sign went up, meaning that the street is actually named after Quebec City. Most of the other street have very Anglophone names, so there was never any clue to the origin of the street name.

• 1 month later...

The yellow line will be closed for repairs during 25 weekends in 2014. Will it be the RTL that provides the SPS between Longueuil and Papineau / Berri?

I heard a lot of people today freaking out about this news (they probably take the yellow line maybe 0.7 times per year on average, ha ha!). On weekends there aren't really any traffic problems on the Jacques-Cartier Bridge. People need to realize transit networks need repairs just like the roads do.

It's back!!! Saturdays and Sundays from September 13 to December 21, 2014.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/service-updates/stm-works/yellow-line

• 1 month later...

I've heard no evidence of this, in fact I've been riding the orange line from time to time and heard the familiar voice of Judith Ouimet (the old announcements) interspersed with Michèle Deslauriers for newer announcements.

• 2 weeks later...

The STM typically is unwilling to get into details. They for example will never say such and such line is not operating because of a suicide. When the issue is systemwide, it might have been an electrical problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi, everyone! Can you tell me please, why are all "train yards" in Montreal - underground?

Is it done some, in order to provide a maximal climate control in entire system?

Also, why are they names garages?

The entire subway network in Montreal is underground, including the garages, as its trains are not designed to run outdoors. Temperature is regulated by adjusting ventilation only. Ventilation is limited in the winter, but massive fans often operate in the summer to supplement the piston effect of trains and help keep the tunnels cool. Trains generate plenty of heat during the winter months, particularly on line 1 and 4.

Hi, everyone! Can you tell me please, why are all "train yards" in Montreal - underground?

Is it done some, in order to provide a maximal climate control in entire system?

Also, why are they names garages?

All the garage are either underground or in enclosed building.

The garage are at

- Honoré-Beaugrand at the east end of green line.

- Angrignon at the west end of the green line

- St-Charles north of Henri-Bourassa station on the orange line

- Montmorency at the north east end of the orange line

On the yellow, blue and Côte-Vertu terminal on the orange line, train are stored in the "arrière gare" passed the last stop.

Is "ventilation only" option enough for Montreal? is there any air conditioning under the Montreal ground (including walking passages)?

As of New York climate - Air conditioning is a must.

- Generally speaking, It's much easier to control climate in enclosed underground space when it doesn't have such "holes" as portals. The same technology is in use on Russian underground systems. however Mosocw has a few overground stretches, and St Petersburg has its yards (garages) on the street level.

Why can't Montreal Metro trains work outdoor? And why are "train yards" called "garages"?

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.544128,-73.647615,3a,75y,143.5h,72.82t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1szSWXYXJrdxLjssC1NZE2Gg!2e0

And here, I guess is the only place, where you can see Montreal Metro Train from street level. Right?

That appears to be part of the old railway spur used to deliver the Metro cars to the CTM/CTCUM. I found an old topographic map from 1967 online and took a screenshot for reference.

2015-01-12_17-02-47.jpg

That appears to be part of the old railway spur used to deliver the Metro cars to the CTM/CTCUM. I found an old topographic map from 1967 online and took a screenshot for reference.

2015-01-12_17-02-47.jpg

Yep, but that track has been removed a LONG time ago. The only way to see a train at the surface is when they are delivred, after that, they will pass their life in the underground until they retired !

And how are the train delivered if the path is removed?

By road (using their rubber wheels) or by special trucks for oversized loads?

And is it possible to see trains on surface when they are removed from service?

They will be shipped by oversized trucks, just like the MPM-10 prototype.

Is "ventilation only" option enough for Montreal? is there any air conditioning under the Montreal ground (including walking passages)?

As of New York climate - Air conditioning is a must.

- Generally speaking, It's much easier to control climate in enclosed underground space when it doesn't have such "holes" as portals. The same technology is in use on Russian underground systems. however Mosocw has a few overground stretches, and St Petersburg has its yards (garages) on the street level.

Why can't Montreal Metro trains work outdoor? And why are "train yards" called "garages"?

In the 60' when metro was designed and build, the engineer of the time was way more worried by "How we are gonna heat the metro during the winter months", they rapidly figured it out after the opening that it was the reverse problem. On newer segment, the metro is well ventilated but it'ss very hard to control the airflow. They could put A/C on the train, but it will simply reverse the heating problem (the station will become hot instead of the trains).

Heating is indeed more of a problems on line 1 and sometimes 4 where MR-63 operates as their technology generate more heat to dissipate the energy required for braking. I expect cooler stations when those train retires.

And why we call the train yards garage, well it's Quebec !

Why can't Montreal Metro trains work outdoor?

They can, but as the trains run on rubber wheels, that would require extensive winter de-icing and snow removal operations that would ruin the efficiency (frequency and speed) and necessitate softer slopes, whilst :

• All of track and maintenance operations are actually done at night, while the passenger service is shut;
  • Métro de Montréal uses U-profiled interstation to minimize braking and motorized acceleration

2015-01-12_17-02-47.jpg

That spur used to connect to the CN St. Laurent Subdivision, where the AMT Mascouche trains now run, and before it the summer 1990 "Metropolitrain" and CN's Montreal North electric commuter service from 1946-1968. The Youville Metro Shops are built on the site of the old Youville streetcar shops, which stood on the site from 1913-1963. Youville is the only place you can see Metro trains at street level. When the MR-63s were shipped out to Pointe St. Charles for rebuilding in the late 1980s/early 1990s, they were trucked to and from Youville.