GOA transit news, info etc

These are the potential service cuts that OC Transpo is proposing to City Council to balance the 2010 City Budget - http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitize...s-obtained.aspx

If you don't like the cuts you seeing, I would suggest you go to one of the Budget Consultation meetings that will take place - http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/budget/budg...tations_en.html

These are the potential service cuts that OC Transpo is proposing to City Council to balance the 2010 City Budget - http://communities.canada.com/ottawacitize...s-obtained.aspx

If you don't like the cuts you seeing, I would suggest you go to one of the Budget Consultation meetings that will take place - http://www.ottawa.ca/city_hall/budget/budg...tations_en.html

I think I will be, route 6 services alot of people in the Glebe and along Parkdale.

Not to mention from a historical perspective, route 6 is the first and oldest continously operating bus routes in Ottawa. Other than at the ends (Rideau Centre and Tunneys Pasture), it has been viturally unchanged since it's creation in 1929 (I think that's when it was created). Back until 1950 since we didn't have route numbers until then, it was known as the "Carling Bus".

I am most certainly not happen that they are getting rid of a historical route, not to mention a scenic route. The route it's self is probably the oldest piece of transit history that is still remaining in one piece in Ottawa. No charter will ever be able to replace this routing.

Where on earth would the 9,12 and 18 turn and sit if it terminates at Rideau?

Incidently, do any Ottawa councellors regularly travel by bus? If so which ones?

Where on earth would the 9,12 and 18 turn and sit if it terminates at Rideau?

Incidently, do any Ottawa councellors regularly travel by bus? If so which ones?

Councillors Bloess and Wilkinson **claims** they ride the buses. I doubt Councillor Doucet rides the buses even though he's a transit supporter (he's more of a cyclist).

Councillors Bloess and Wilkinson **claims** they ride the buses. I doubt Councillor Doucet rides the buses even though he's a transit supporter (he's more of a cyclist).
I actually have seen Doucet waiting for the 4 at Bronson and Fifth one day in the morning when going to school. I didn't say anything because I don't really like him. This could explain why he was annoyed with the route 41 cut as well as I was, because the 41 made a stop at Bronson and Fifth and it went right to Mack Bridge, where it is a short walk to City Hall for when he does take the bus.

As for Bloess, I highly doubt it :P

He strikes me as a guy who drives. He is after all, chair of the Transportation Committee. Also I asked in a question in regards to Bronson, he was like "Everytime we try to get something built, it gets shut down" which if he did ride the bus, he probably wouldn't of suggested that. When I asked him "Well why not provide a transit alternative? If you get people out of their cars, you won't have to build anything". His face was priceless after that. I could just see the hate. After that he didn't reply to me and he just started talking to someone else :P

Also if he *does* take the bus, that could explain why back in either 2007 or 2008, he tried to get route 25, which is now cancelled, made a peak period route to eliminate the express fare. This is the route he most likely took before it was cancelled.

Well not on the topic of the double deckers but today I just found out while looking at the "NCC funded CTCRO/OC Transpo map" that in 1974, CTCRO and OC Transpo used to operate a route that ran in a circle around Downtown Hull and Downtown Ottawa. It was numbered route 50, and it was referred to as the "Loop Service" since it had a different fare structure from all the other routes because of the fact it is a joint route.

This route obviously didn't last long because in the next map on record, the 1978 system map, it isn't there.

Also route 95, in both 1974 and 1978, in it's old form, is a local route that went from Billings Bridge, down Heron to Prince of Wales, then south on Prince of Wales and then serviced the area that the 176 during rush hour services. Just found that rather interesting.

Also just wondering before I start doing research on it, does anyone have any information about the Leeds Bus Garage? Just East of Elmvale? On the 1978 OC Transpo there is a "Leeds Bus Garage". I'm more looking into information as to it's location and I have a place I *think* might be where it was located but I'm not positive on it. However if no one has any information, that's alright.

Well not on the topic of the double deckers but today I just found out while looking at the "NCC funded CTCRO/OC Transpo map" that in 1974, CTCRO and OC Transpo used to operate a route that ran in a circle around Downtown Hull and Downtown Ottawa. It was numbered route 50, and it was referred to as the "Loop Service" since it had a different fare structure from all the other routes because of the fact it is a joint route.

This route obviously didn't last long because in the next map on record, the 1978 system map, it isn't there.

I have a Sept. 1976 map and route 50 isn't there either. From a previous post, CTCRO buses ran one direction and OC Transpo buses the other. I think the only other shared route in recent history was route 10 a few years ago, linking Lebreton Station with Stats Canada on boul. Sacre-Coeur.

http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=55...mp;#entry165014

Also route 95, in both 1974 and 1978, in it's old form, is a local route that went from Billings Bridge, down Heron to Prince of Wales, then south on Prince of Wales and then serviced the area that the 176 during rush hour services. Just found that rather interesting.

AFAIK, the current route 95 started in 1982, and in 1984 was running from Baseline to St. Laurent via the Ottawa River Pkwy, Lebreton Station, Albert/Slater, Nicholas, Lees and Hurdman Transitway stations and Tremblay with a stop at the train station. Route 99 was the earliest cross-regional designated route and it started around 1978, according to reports I've been able to access at the library.

Also just wondering before I start doing research on it, does anyone have any information about the Leeds Bus Garage? Just East of Elmvale? On the 1978 OC Transpo there is a "Leeds Bus Garage". I'm more looking into information as to it's location and I have a place I *think* might be where it was located but I'm not positive on it. However if no one has any information, that's alright.

I'm just guessing here but your thoughts are probably right; this would be the Greyhound garage just off of Sheffield.

BTW, my 1976 map shows the Champagne garage still in operation. :)

I have a Sept. 1976 map and route 50 isn't there either. From a previous post, CTCRO buses ran one direction and OC Transpo buses the other. I think the only other shared route in recent history was route 10 a few years ago, linking Lebreton Station with Stats Canada on boul. Sacre-Coeur.
I thought that that is probably how it worked since it would make less sense if they had random buses doing both directions. Also the benefit to having CTCRO operating one direction is that you know which direction to catch if you have to pay cash or ticket fare.
AFAIK, the current route 95 started in 1982, and in 1984 was running from Baseline to St. Laurent via the Ottawa River Pkwy, Lebreton Station, Albert/Slater, Nicholas, Lees and Hurdman Transitway stations and Tremblay with a stop at the train station. Route 99 was the earliest cross-regional designated route and it started around 1978, according to reports I've been able to access at the library.
Yes that would be correct. I was just stating how it's strange that in 1974, route 95, which is now our main route, was a local ;) Not that there is nothing wrong with it being a local, just it is strange to look back and see that.

Anyway while at City Hall today, I found this phamplet, the funny thing is, usually City Hall gets informational phamplets later than Mack Bridge, well Mack Bridge has none of these yet.

PC170049__Large_.JPG

Looks like OC Transpo is finally doing a route modification that makes sense. This route modification will take place on January 4th, 2010.

I'm just guessing here but your thoughts are probably right; this would be the Greyhound garage just off of Sheffield.

Actually in regards to Leeds, turns out it is most likely 1275 Leeds Avenue, which is currently a Federal Government warehouse. It is located on the Northwest Corner of Leeds Ave and Blackwell Ave. Image of the location:

1275_Leeds_Avenue.jpg

Canadian National claims he has seen a photo of an OTC bus parked in front of this building, I will be going back to the Library to do some more research into this garage to confirm if this is the garage, or if it is another building like the Greyhound garage.

But on the 1978 map, it shows the garage being on Leeds Avenue. The Greyhound garage is one street north of Leeds.

The location just looks like a garage that OTC would of built, it has a flag pole that is the exact same model as the flagpoles at 1500, it has bushes, a lawn, and other features that all the surrounding buildings lack. So I'm 75% certain that 1275 Leeds Avenue is the Leeds Garage.

Anybody heard about cueball's threats of a lock-out once the current driver's contract expires. But the good news, and that stupidity will help, he will not win the next election. Or hopefully, there won't be enough people in this city stupid enough to re-elect him.

OC Transpo Leeds Garage was not on Sheffield, it was on the corner of Leeds Ave and Blackwell Street. That garage had a small countdown, mechanic bays and held approx. 180 buses. Champagne Garage held a much smaller amount of buses than Leeds Garage and buses were all stored inside, and not outside (since their were no outside space). OC Transpo also had another garage before St.laurent North opened. It was called Lancaster Garage. This particular garage was located underground under an industrial business, and it only stored up to 60 buses. Their were no countdown and no repair bays, it was only used for storing. How it worked was, when a driver finished his run, he would give his bus to a Jockey waiting outside the entrance of the Garage and he would take the bus and park it. Once St.Laurent North Garage opened up, Leeds Garage and Lancaster Garage closed.

Anyway while at City Hall today, I found this phamplet, the funny thing is, usually City Hall gets informational phamplets later than Mack Bridge, well Mack Bridge has none of these yet.

PC170049__Large_.JPG

Looks like OC Transpo is finally doing a route modification that makes sense. This route modification will take place on January 4th, 2010.

The information is on the web site - http://www.octranspo1.com/about-octranspo/news/

I was surprised by the anoucement that the city got $600M from the province for the LRT

Now its up to the feds?

From hints in the past from Biard it might happen.

OC & the city might finally get the LRT started?

I have feeling that the Feds will fund the new LRT system. I too was surprised to hear the announcement from the Province, since Minister Watson and the Premier has been critical about the new plan.

I have feeling that the Feds will fund the new LRT system. I too was surprised to hear the announcement from the Province, since Minister Watson and the Premier has been critical about the new plan.
Wow, yeah, now it's up to the feds, but seeing as there are different people in power now in city hall, I'm sure the previous situation won't happen.

Not sure if anyone posted this, or if I posted this already, but the incident with the Ambulance that plowed into an OC Transpo bus in Downtown was another 2008 D60LF...

hmm seems the 2008 D60lf's are not well liked in this city :P

just a reminder that There will be a special revised service* during the Christmas holidays for a two-week period from December 20 - January 2.

Note Octranspo didnt metion that the 95 is 24 hours but advertises it as running till 4 am ;);)

Level of Service from December 20 - January 2

December 20 Sunday service

December 21, 22 & 23 Reduced weekday service

Christmas Eve - December 24 Reduced weekday service

Christmas Day, December 25 Sunday service

Boxing Day, December 26 Saturday service

December 27 Sunday service

December 28 Special Saturday service

December 29 & 30 Reduced weekday service

New Years Eve, December 31

Reduced weekday service. * Service will be FREE after 11 p.m. and Transitway service on routes 95, 96 and 97 will be increased and extended until 4 a.m., compliments of Molson Coors Canada.

New Years Day, January 1 Sunday service

January 2 Saturday service

January 3 - 9 Back to regular Winter schedules