GOA transit news, info etc

I know I don't like them!
I liked them before, but now there losing it..

What's wrong with them? They ride reasonably nice, have a nice acceleration and they're not rusted out buckets like the ones from '03. The squeaky brakes are the only problem but that's not their fault....

What's wrong with them? They ride reasonably nice, have a nice acceleration and they're not rusted out buckets like the ones from '03. The squeaky brakes are the only problem but that's not their fault....

They are much easier to work on too. The entire Engine, Transmission, Battery and Radiator (is on an angle and a lot bigger) set up is a lot organized than on the 50 Series powered D60LF.

Well for one, they were all pulled off the road for a defective bolt or whatever in the joint, they sound horrible and make me feel like I'm riding to my death with the sound. Also the first time I got to see one in real life, it was broken down at the bus stop that I usually catch my bus at.

However I do like the acceration on them, but the 63XXs powered by the S50 also have good acceration.

Also may I ask which units in specific are "rusted out buckets"? I must not of seen that one unit because I have not seen any D60LFs with any rust at all, even though I ride the bus every day about 10 times and see many many buses.

Afaik, the 2003 D60LFs are not "rusted out buckets". Mainly from what I have worked on, the early 60xx and some 61xx D60LFs are rusting, but thats only the frame of the bus and they get viewable when they escape between fiberglass panels.

Well for one, they were all pulled off the road for a defective bolt or whatever in the joint, they sound horrible and make me feel like I'm riding to my death with the sound. Also the first time I got to see one in real life, it was broken down at the bus stop that I usually catch my bus at.

However I do like the acceration on them, but the 63XXs powered by the S50 also have good acceration.

Also may I ask which units in specific are "rusted out buckets"? I must not of seen that one unit because I have not seen any D60LFs with any rust at all, even though I ride the bus every day about 10 times and see many many buses.

Alright you win for the sound horrible and warranty issues but overall they're not bad. Besides, the joint bolts fiasco was poor engineering on the bolt maker part.

The rust buckets as in the insides (the ones from 2001 not 03 as I said)...I'm usually able to catch a ride on a D60LF 2-3 times a day, the interiors are run down, chipped off, rusted around the edges and everywhere in between etc. Plus the outsides on some of these babies make them look like frankensteins... We should probs take this to another thread too....

Alright you win for the sound horrible and warranty issues but overall they're not bad. Besides, the joint bolts fiasco was poor engineering on the bolt maker part.

The rust buckets as in the insides (the ones from 2001 not 03 as I said)...I'm usually able to catch a ride on a D60LF 2-3 times a day, the interiors are run down, chipped off, rusted around the edges and everywhere in between etc. Plus the outsides on some of these babies make them look like frankensteins... We should probs take this to another thread too....

Give these things 8 more years, they'll look the exact same way that the 2001 D60LFs that haven't been rebuilt look now. Heck actually just give them 3 years, that'll be enough to make them look run down and give rust around the edges on the interior.

This is after all the first winter that these 2008 D60LFs are going through as the strike pretty well preventing them from going through the worse of last winter. So due to this fact, the interior hasn't had much winter exposure until this year, in fact even after this year, it will start looking run down.

Get back to me in 6 months and we'll see how they look then.

Also just to put it out there, I judge my stance on how buses will last overtime, not how they look right now. I used to call the Infernos a good bus (and many other board members if you ask them can tell you that), but that was because they were new and I judged my buses based on how they looked right then. Now as well all know, those things are definitly hunks of junk. These D60LFs used to look really nice when they were brand new in 2001, just as nice as how the 2008 D60LFs look right now, but now look at how ran down they are. You cannot automaticly assume that these things will stay looking nice for 12 years when they haven't even been through one full winter yet.

So that is why I think the 2008 D60LFs are junk, as I would be willing to bet a million dollars that they will be junk when they become the same age as our S50s, but I don't have that kind of money nor does anyone else I know.

Give these things 8 more years, they'll look the exact same way that the 2001 D60LFs that haven't been rebuilt look now. Heck actually just give them 3 years, that'll be enough to make them look run down and give rust around the edges on the interior.

Also just to put it out there, I judge my stance on how buses will last overtime, not how they look right now. I used to call the Infernos a good bus (and many other board members if you ask them can tell you that), but that was because they were new and I judged my buses based on how they looked right then. Now as well all know, those things are definitly hunks of junk. These D60LFs used to look really nice when they were brand new in 2001, just as nice as how the 2008 D60LFs look right now, but now look at how ran down they are. You cannot automaticly assume that these things will stay looking nice for 12 years when they haven't even been through one full winter yet.

So that is why I think the 2008 D60LFs are junk, as I would be willing to bet a million dollars that they will be junk when they become the same age as our S50s, but I don't have that kind of money nor does anyone else I know.

not sure where the looks over durability assumption came from but alright...the connection joints for the '08s vs '01-'02s and even some '03s already spell a world of difference especially since you can see major signs of stress based on design and construction; I'm sure you'll see it a few times in the 10+ times a day you ride the bus. It's 12+ years of proven design and refinements or maybe I'm just a loyal NFI rider.

Inveros...never have been and never will be anything better than wild fantasy in terms of ride quality and comfort; you can quote me on that.

My apologies, back on GOA news/info

Inveros...never have been and never will be anything better than wild fantasy in terms of ride quality and comfort; you can quote me on that.
There has been something better than a Inferno, in fact there has been many buses better than a Invero in terms of ride quality and comfort.

I'll start by mentioning the Fishbowl, best ride ever. Nothing matches up. Just ride 7742 or 7757. 33 years going and still has a better ride than a Inferno. Yes, STO does accept OC Transpo Monthly Passes, Daypasses and transfers, so don't tell me you can't go and ride them.

Now the Classic, some of them can have a rough ride in the 89 series but almost every other bus has a smooth ride.

The D40s, a slowly dieing bread of buses. But these things most definitly had a better ride than a Inferno, and they are also a New Flyer product.

The Orion Vs, the 1991 and 1992 models were rust buckets but they still had a good ride, even the 1997 and 1998s had a good ride even with the hard seats.

Now there are many people on this board who might not agree with what I said about each bus I just mentioned, but they will agree that the Inferno is not a good bus.

Also just curious, have you actually ridden a crushloaded Inferno and sat in the rearmost row? Or rode an Inferno down Limebank Road? I have rode both an Inferno and a Orion V down Limebank, and on the Inferno the ceiling panel fell down, while on the Orion V, we hardly even felt the bumps.

How did you come to this conclusion, the ride is absolute crap, there is no head or leg room in the back, also have you been on a crushloaded inferno and was at the back attempting to get off, have fun maneuvering to get out it will take a while, not to mention the rear door that takes 20 years to open and close, and the constant radeling from all the plastic that the screws and rivets have broken off of.

Oh god, those things break down all the time. Always having issues with the radiator and engine. Interior seating layout is terrible. The way the bus was put together is crap.

not to mention the rear door that takes 20 years to open and close,

That can be adjusted.

OC Transpo Leeds Garage was not on Sheffield, it was on the corner of Leeds Ave and Blackwell Street. That garage had a small countdown, mechanic bays and held approx. 180 buses. Champagne Garage held a much smaller amount of buses than Leeds Garage and buses were all stored inside, and not outside (since their were no outside space). OC Transpo also had another garage before St.laurent North opened. It was called Lancaster Garage. This particular garage was located underground under an industrial business, and it only stored up to 60 buses. Their were no countdown and no repair bays, it was only used for storing. How it worked was, when a driver finished his run, he would give his bus to a Jockey waiting outside the entrance of the Garage and he would take the bus and park it. Once St.Laurent North Garage opened up, Leeds Garage and Lancaster Garage closed.

I have just learned that Lancaster Garage was leased temporarily to hold only 35 buses (but held more if bunched together like I was told)

I have just learned that Lancaster Garage was leased temporarily to hold only 35 buses (but held more if bunched together like I was told)
"Just learned"? Lol

Also that is probably why it didn't have any maintaince bays or countdown bays. Just for storage.

The D60LF that was hit by a truck on Albert/Kent #6387 has been completely rebuilt (not the entire bus, just the front area and etc...). Got to ride it on it's first road test.....not bad except for an alarm that keeps going off when the brakes are applied and a burning smell at the front...

oc_6387_f.png

YAY <_<

Which Invero caught fire this morning?

The D60LF that was hit by a truck on Albert/Kent #6387 has been completely rebuilt (not the entire bus, just the front area and etc...). Got to ride it on it's first road test.....not bad except for an alarm that keeps going off when the brakes are applied and a burning smell at the front...

oc_6387_f.png

could we get a before and after shot please <_<