Trolley Infrastructure Removal

Mark Walton

• 2 weeks later...

ok i just dont get EPCOR how they are removing lines.

They removed the trolley lines last weekend on the HLB however left the clips and the aluminum cover up. why wouldnt they take that down when they had the bridge closed. just no sens

and there is wire from the south side up to at least the 83rd avenue loop. and all the wire is still there. they have pulled wire to the side a bit on a couple spots. but like why not start from what is left close to southgate and work your way back.

Im thinking they are just trying to get out bits and bites while they have some money so when they run out, its too much to try and piece it together.

This has to be the most pathetic work plan ive ever seen.

Im thinking they are just trying to get out bits and bites while they have some money so when they run out, its too much to try and piece it together.

Why would they piece it back together? They are simply bastardizing the wire network so it would be next to impossible to put back together. It ALL has to come down now.

There will be electrification in the future. Maybe 20-30-40 years down the line when it becomes necessary. At which point they can start from scratch and reconfigure routes to make them long and logical. Perhaps new alloys will be used to make strong (but slim) traction poles, special work will be less complicated and garages won't require wire.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it is a fiberglass panel, not aluminum.

ah ok well because they left it up and without the support of the trolley lines, saturday night they spent the whole nght trying to brace it because they lost the first section on the north side. Epcor said they would have to shut down the bridge to remove it all so they were just bracing it for now.

i cant understand why it took them 2 nights to remove that short stretch of wire and not the Fibreglass

ah ok well because they left it up and without the support of the trolley lines, saturday night they spent the whole nght trying to brace it because they lost the first section on the north side. Epcor said they would have to shut down the bridge to remove it all so they were just bracing it for now.

i cant understand why it took them 2 nights to remove that short stretch of wire and not the Fibreglass

Nope. Doesn't make sense at all. If you're going to do a job, do it right the first time.

These clowns in admin couldn't (rather didn't) want to operate a trolleybus system, and they still can't seem to even properly remove the trolley system with out screwing things up. Lets not forget the 95 St LRT crossing!

Is all the special work gone too? Last time I was on the southside all the straight wire was gone, but the intersections at 65 Ave, 76 Ave and Garneau Loop were still up.

Everything appears to be gone from 76ave and 109st intersection and beyond. I'm not sure if it was removed today or not.

Indeed it's all gone as far as I can tell from that intersection. I haven't been north or south of there since Friday, so i can't say what else is gone if anything.

Man, that's awful. Where are your birds gonna sit? We've got a couple of robins and one crow that actually prefer the trolley lines to trees.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the NB wires on 124 Street and 111 Ave just tied off onto the spans. (This was reported yesterday but I only just remembered to 'pay attention' on my way to the pool from work today).

There is some 'work' in the area, but guaranteed that stretch will be the next to come down.

I am really starting to hate this diesel infested excuse for a city. BLECCHH.

• 3 weeks later...

Do any budget figures administration provides have any connection to reality at all?

Well here is some disapointing news.

Aparently Edmonton will possibly come out in the black this year. So i bet that $700,000 they saved from removing trolleys wasnt required as much as they said it was.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2...f-10638056.html

Theres an article in the sun with comments.

The unfunded wire removal continues, along 115 Ave. between the Cromdale loop and 95 Street. Westbound wire is either totally removed or tied off to the side. Hangers have been removed for the eastbound wire, the wire itself is tied to the spanwires. According to a 115 Avenue merchant, they started work this morning at the Cromdale loop and worked west. I didn't get a look at the Cromdale loop, so I don't know what, if anything, is left there.

The unfunded wire removal continues, along 115 Ave. between the Cromdale loop and 95 Street. Westbound wire is either totally removed or tied off to the side. Hangers have been removed for the eastbound wire, the wire itself is tied to the spanwires. According to a 115 Avenue merchant, they started work this morning at the Cromdale loop and worked west. I didn't get a look at the Cromdale loop, so I don't know what, if anything, is left there.

Doesn't matter anymore. Edmonton is a lost cause. It's just one big hot, stinky, polluted mess. I just can't wait to get the heck outta here. I hate it here. Thanks for the update btw.