Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

57 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

The 18 runs to the zoo on stats as well.

Been riding return trip from the terminal loop at Assiniboine Park recently and I can say that not just in the past month but also in past years (weekend trips to Tuxedo Safeway), no one going to or from the Zoo really uses that stop. Guess why? While there is an unheated shelter on Roblin for the 79, there is nothing for riders waiting for the 18. Also, there is just a plain metal bus stop sign, nothing special to denote that the Assiniboine Park Zoo bus stop is important.

Next trip out there for my walk I will take a photograph and possibly a video for YouTube documenting the problems with this particular bus stop.

Despite the Zoo itself being Closed, there were many people (couples) who parked at the Zoo entrance parking lot, and walked on that path to inside the Park itself.

28 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

Been riding return trip from the terminal loop at Assiniboine Park recently and I can say that not just in the past month but also in past years (weekend trips to Tuxedo Safeway), no one going to or from the Zoo really uses that stop. Guess why? While there is an unheated shelter on Roblin for the 79, there is nothing for riders waiting for the 18. Also, there is just a plain metal bus stop sign, nothing special to denote that the Assiniboine Park Zoo bus stop is important.

Next trip out there for my walk I will take a photograph and possibly a video for YouTube documenting the problems with this particular bus stop.

Despite the Zoo itself being Closed, there were many people (couples) who parked at the Zoo entrance parking lot, and walked on that path to inside the Park itself.

No DOMO shuttles in service, either...

The Zoo really does need better transit service. It can't live on parking lots, forever...

31 minutes ago, LilZebra said:

While there is an unheated shelter on Roblin for the 79, there is nothing for riders waiting for the 18. Also, there is just a plain metal bus stop sign, nothing special to denote that the Assiniboine Park Zoo bus stop is important.

My guess is they consider that stop to be unimportant. Even though it’s a terminal stop, it’s only served weekends and holidays, so they must feel there’s no need for a heated shack or a BusWatch sign. In a normal week (i.e. no stats) that stop only gets 77 buses, and each stat only adds another 31. The 83 terminal at Thompson and Ness sees almost 200 a week and it only has a metal sign as well. I do wonder what an 18 extension to Charleswood would do to that route.

29 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

My guess is they consider that stop to be unimportant. Even though it’s a terminal stop, it’s only served weekends and holidays, so they must feel there’s no need for a heated shack or a BusWatch sign.

Of course they did build a BusWatch sign on the 39 loop on Taylor Avenue, which got 2 departures per day, 10 per week. In all fairness, it did display 95 info too, but I'm pretty sure the 39 is the reason they put it up. Maybe they could do the same with the Assiniboine Park loop - have it display info on the 18 and 79, not just 18. Maybe the 79 could even enter the loop and use it as a timing point.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Of course they did build a BusWatch sign on the 39 loop on Taylor Avenue, which got 2 departures per day, 10 per week. In all fairness, it did display 95 info too, but I'm pretty sure the 39 is the reason they put it up. Maybe they could do the same with the Assiniboine Park loop - have it display info on the 18 and 79, not just 18. Maybe the 79 could even enter the loop and use it as a timing point.

Not to mention the 67. With Saturday service levels meaning the 18 will run to the zoo and the 79 will run at rush hour, that portion of Tuxedo will be spoiled for choice at the PM rush (schedule for WB Corydon/Shaftesbury seen below)

3C4373F5-5F3B-407B-BF40-7051D616A374.thumb.jpeg.046c9f700a7090170ce1037bb02bd035.jpeg

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Not to mention the 67. With Saturday service levels meaning the 18 will run to the zoo and the 79 will run at rush hour, that portion of Tuxedo will be spoiled for choice at the PM rush (schedule for WB Corydon/Shaftesbury seen below)

3C4373F5-5F3B-407B-BF40-7051D616A374.thumb.jpeg.046c9f700a7090170ce1037bb02bd035.jpeg

Of course, if you're heading west then the 18 won't get you very far. But eastbound will certainly be spoiled.

2 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

Of course, if you're heading west then the 18 won't get you very far. But eastbound will certainly be spoiled.

Except the 18 won’t run out to Assiniboine Park until 10 AM, so that won’t be an option at the morning rush. Still, at the afternoon rush, you can choose whether you want to take the 18 or 67, or take one of the countless other Portage corridor buses to Polo and transfer to the 79.

1 hour ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Except the 18 won’t run out to Assiniboine Park until 10 AM, so that won’t be an option at the morning rush. Still, at the afternoon rush, you can choose whether you want to take the 18 or 67, or take one of the countless other Portage corridor buses to Polo and transfer to the 79.

Yeah, that's true. Right now, the Saturday headways on that section of WB Corydon, from 3PM - 6PM, including the 18, is approximately 9 - 10 minutes. If the new schedule is exactly the same, but with a few 67 buses added in, then it will be even better.

Something I noticed earlier today, is that Stop 10166, 10674 and 10675 are still listed on winnipegtransit.com......... why? No routes are currently going through there! I have thought that maybe the 65/66 could come through here, via Harkness Station, but right now there is nothing.
Donald2.thumb.png.7862f44df76946895b0816fcbac49450.png

For the record, this is my aforementioned idea for the 65/66. Red is the route, blue is the discontinued portion of route,
66Donald.thumb.png.64093a2e2fc337e6d69a266fa71adf58.png

20 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

Yeah, that's true. Right now, the Saturday headways on that section of WB Corydon, from 3PM - 6PM, including the 18, is approximately 9 - 10 minutes. If the new schedule is exactly the same, but with a few 67 buses added in, then it will be even better.

That being said, the 67 might be the better option. I rode the 18 from Cathedral to Edgeland over the afternoon rush a while back, and it felt like it took longer to get through the Village than it did to get down Corydon. Even the section along Main didn’t feel much longer than the section through the Village. Though the 67 still has to deal with congestion on the St. James Bridge. That being said, there’s probably less traffic out and about, so it shouldn’t be much of an issue.

16 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

For the record, this is my aforementioned idea for the 65/66. Red is the route, blue is the discontinued portion of route,
66Donald.thumb.png.64093a2e2fc337e6d69a266fa71adf58.png

The problem with that idea is there’s no left turn allowed from Donald to stradbrook, so they would have to do something about that maybe buses excepted 

2 hours ago, Thewinnipegtransitfanhuang said:

The problem with that idea is there’s no left turn allowed from Donald to stradbrook, so they would have to do something about that maybe buses excepted 

Maybe put in a transit-priority signal? It wouldn't be the first time transit has put in a transit-only left turn signal in an area where vehicles previously couldn't turn left (Jubilee @ Jubilee Overpass). During the PM rush hour, the headway for the 65/66 is around 5-6 minutes on average (unlike 10628, which is 34 seconds on average (16:00 - 17:00)), so I don't think it would cause too much of a problem with traffic.
TransitLTS.thumb.png.a7c213f976a6369f13103b9ea18b9eb8.png

7 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

Maybe put in a transit-priority signal? It wouldn't be the first time transit has put in a transit-only left turn signal in an area where vehicles previously couldn't turn left (Jubilee @ Jubilee Overpass). During the PM rush hour, the headway for the 65/66 is around 5-6 minutes on average (unlike 10628, which is 34 seconds on average (16:00 - 17:00)), so I don't think it would cause too much of a problem with traffic.
TransitLTS.thumb.png.a7c213f976a6369f13103b9ea18b9eb8.png

There are several like that one now. Some like Main and Graham protect movements that didn't have a signal before. Then there are others that were changed to the new style. The entrance to KP's bus loop comes to mind. There are two signals that have the angled transit priority signal along Phase II of the transitway at Chevier and Clarence but without the green ball and with the standard yellow instead of black. 

Can imagine the 500's not being high priority for getting outside cameras or shields either as they are the oldest original buses in the fleet. I would also think that the 500's, ex-Calgary and Ottawa buses might be the next to be completely retired.

37 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Can imagine the 500's not being high priority for getting outside cameras or shields either as they are the oldest original buses in the fleet. I would also think that the 500's, ex-Calgary and Ottawa buses might be the next to be completely retired.

The wiki says that some of the 500s are already gone. The Calgary buses serve their purpose and work well on express routes, given how fast those buses are, and I would like to see the D60LFs stay around for a while longer, because now that Phase 2’s open and has a near-monopoly on the XD60s, we don’t have enough artics.

15 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

If the D60LF's do get retired in the next 5-7 years, hopefully they get replaced by more XD60's. We need 60-foot buses.

Agree with this. I would also hope that when more do come in, we start to see them on more routes, rather than just the 60 and the BLUE line. The 36 should absolutely get them back if things return to normal in time for the start of the school year. In terms of routes that don’t currently get them, 11, 18, 21, 22 and 33 need them and 14, 24 and 55 could benefit from having them as well.

Edited by SirAndrew710
Add 16 to the list as well.

49 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

The wiki says that some of the 500s are already gone. The Calgary buses serve their purpose and work well on express routes, given how fast those buses are, and I would like to see the D60LFs stay around for a while longer, because now that Phase 2’s open and has a near-monopoly on the XD60s, we don’t have enough artics.

Agree with this. I would also hope that when more do come in, we start to see them on more routes, rather than just the 60 and the BLUE line. The 36 should absolutely get them back if things return to normal in time for the start of the school year. In terms of routes that don’t currently get them, 11, 18, 21, 22 and 33 need them and 14, 24 and 55 could benefit from having them as well.

In my pre-Covid experience, the 47 needs them too, and the 160 had them before being merged with the 47. Will be fun to see what the 47 is like when ridership increases.

I’m surprised to see that the new 47, 662, 671 and 672 don’t get them. According to a quick search on TransSee, even 60 doesn’t get them as much as it used to, though that may be because WT wants to use the XD60s on the BLUE line as much as possible and most of the D60LFs are still out of service.

12 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I’m surprised to see that the new 47, 662, 671 and 672 don’t get them. According to a quick search on TransSee, even 60 doesn’t get them as much as it used to, though that may be because WT wants to use the XD60s on the BLUE line as much as possible and most of the D60LFs are still out of service.

Perhaps ridership in Richmond West/Fort Richmond was too low to warrant a 60-foot bus on the 662. Even the 162 didn't get 60-foot buses, and it had a tendency to get pretty damn full, pretty much all day. I cannot imagine 662 ridership being as high as the 162, with the BLUE replacing the service on South Pembina.