Winnipeg Transit and area

BCT-3122-D800-10240

35 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Usually the side sign says Sorry Not in Service when its a training bus but this one has a normal route on it.

Normally training buses have yellow run cards that say “Training Bus 55-xx” or something like that but I see that the one in the photo has a regular card (55-19).

Looks like they might go ahead and reduce service after all. https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-transit-reductions-expected-bowman-1.4905906

Of course, they refuse to say which routes would be cut and when. Bowman says that those decisions will be finalized “soon,” but they probably won’t tell us a thing until three hours before they do reduce service. My bet is it will be mostly suburban feeders that see service cuts.

6 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

Looks like they might go ahead and reduce service after all. https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg-transit-reductions-expected-bowman-1.4905906

Of course, they refuse to say which routes would be cut and when. Bowman says that those decisions will be finalized “soon,” but they probably won’t tell us a thing until three hours before they do reduce service. My bet is it will be mostly suburban feeders that see service cuts.

Hopefully it’s just a supplemented Saturday schedule. I think main line routes should be reduced before feeders are cut, allowing everyone to still be able to access the transit network. For example BLUE busses don’t need to be running every 4 minutes

I agree that routes such as the BLUE line, the 11 and the 21 should be first to be reduced, but we know that practically speaking, it will be feeders and dial-a-rides that get reduced first. It makes sense, seeing as few people rode them even before COVID, but if they want to send the message that people who need to use Transit still can, getting rid of, for example, the only bus running between St. James and Charleswood (98) might not be the best idea.

1 hour ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

There doing this to save money in the long run and full service will return once the pandemic is over 

If the pandemic ends between changes, would they return to normal right away? Or would I have to go to Polo and grab a 79 or go to Unicity and grab a 66 if I needed to cross the bridge for something? (Assuming the 98 is affected by the reductions, that is)

2 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

$100 that they pull forward the fall cut list to right freakin' now and pretend like they weren't going to do it anyway. In times like these no Saturday 89s actually makes sense since Kildonan Place is only ever open 12 to 5 PM for the shops that are even open to start with, unless you're Shoppers Drug Mart.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I agree that routes such as the BLUE line, the 11 and the 21 should be first to be reduced, but we know that practically speaking, it will be feeders and dial-a-rides that get reduced first. It makes sense, seeing as few people rode them even before COVID, but if they want to send the message that people who need to use Transit still can, getting rid of, for example, the only bus running between St. James and Charleswood (98) might not be the best idea.

I would cut BLUE too, but in a different way: it doesn't need XD60s right now, especially not the UofM runs. Replace them with D40s/XD40s, re-assign the XD60s onto a few 11/21/66 runs, give a 15/30 and 49 at least one XD60 run each (those two routes are most likely to have "essential" workers still doing their thing). Then spread the remainder out over both 47 and 60.

20 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

$100 that they pull forward the fall cut list to right freakin' now and pretend like they weren't going to do it anyway. In times like these no Saturday 89s actually makes sense since Kildonan Place is only ever open 12 to 5 PM for the shops that are even open to start with, unless you're Shoppers Drug Mart.

The documents didn’t even say when those cuts would take effect. I’d assume it would be the fall seeing as that’s when the Spirits will be discontinued, but considering that their hit list included now-defunct routes, clearly they don’t even know what they’re doing.

I've made two trips to Transit Information on Osborne Street to try and collect the new/changed route pamphlets.  I was particularly interested in collecting all of them quickly since service cuts owing to the pandemic seemed inevitable.

I think this may be the most extensive set of service changes in many, many years. It also appears that some mistakes have been made in preparing the new pamphlets...

First, here is the change notice poster hanging in Transit Information:

WinnipegTransit-Changes2020Apr12.thumb.jpg.31facf087fb7554b47cb260fe0dae833.jpg

It lists 5 routes with schedule changes, 9 routes with route changes, and 16 new routes. There should also have been routine seasonal schedule change for route 75 but it's not listed on the poster.

Here's the list of pamphlets I've gotten.  Three pamphlets (marked "*")  that should have been updated weren't. One pamphlet (marked "**") that probably should have been updated wasn't. It's worth noting that the 600-series route pamphlets also contain a map and frequency table for BLUE. It's also interesting that all the new routes have names as well as numbers, and some of the routes that officially lost their names about a decade ago got them back.  Route 68, which was "68 Crescent" when it had a name, is now "68 Grosvenor" (which makes more sense). As with the previous "rt" pamphlets, the new BLUE feeder route pamphlets have a different date syntax (for no apparent reason).

• new     BLUE                                     no schedule/map pamphlet, instead an undated glossy frequency/diagram brochure
  • sched 12 William                            2012 11 18 *
  • new     23 Broadway/William        2020 04 12
  • route   29 Sherbrook                       2020 04 12
  • sched 42 Plessis Express / 92     2019 04 07 *
  • sched 46 Transcona Express        2020 04 12
  • route   47 Transcona/Pembina     2020 04 12
  • sched 48 McMeans Express        2019 04 07 *
  • route   60 Pembina                        2020 04 12
  • route   65 Grant Express / 66 Grant  2020 04 12
  • route   68 Grosvenor                    2020 04 12
  • route   74 Kenaston                      2020 04 12
  • unlis   75 Crosstown East           2019 09 01 **
  • route  78 Waverley                        2020 04 12
  • route  91 St. Norbert                     2020 04 12
  • new   635 Osborne Village            April 2020
  • new   641 Linden Woods West     April 2020
  • new   642 Linden Woods East      April 2020
  • new   649 Chevrier                        April 2020
  • new   650 McGillivray                   April 2020
  • new   662 Richmond                     April 2020
  • new   671 Dalhousie                      April 2020
  • new   672 Killarney                         April 2020
  • new   676 Bridgewater/River Rd   April 2020
  • new   677 Wilkes                           April 2020
  • new   690 Industrial                      April 2020
  • new   691 Whyte Ridge                 April 2020
  • new   693 Waverley Heights        April 2020
  • new   694 Wildwood                     April 2020

Did somebody take their old Route Book and toss the pages in the air? I found a bunch of them out near Fort Rouge Garage, along the nearby path.
20200422_190725.thumb.jpg.f2fb6c042baa6190ab8aa1a07ab3cddc.jpg
20200422_190754.thumb.jpg.1797fc4116152b9aa8bd74065c0da571.jpg20200422_190815.thumb.jpg.1fd01089983bf5d54dfd683dc1f7879e.jpg
20200422_190917.thumb.jpg.50dbcfc289af2605bf937c10c4cd4bd5.jpg20200422_190955.thumb.jpg.38997a69f33253be7fc7e1c219e68c8d.jpg

On 160-B, in the signing instructions, I find it interesting that it says the "Route Sign" is listed as "160 Pembina", but the 160's never said "Pembina" anywhere, unlike the new 47. There's also "Terminals to Osborne Station", but has a 160 actually ever terminated at Osborne Station?

31 minutes ago, Isaac Williams said:

On 160-B, in the signing information, I find it interesting that it says the "Route Sign" is supposed to be "160 Pembina", but the 160's never said "Pembina" anywhere. There's also "Terminals to Osborne Station", but has a 160 actually ever terminated at Osborne Station?

I've always thought that whomever created the "160" page for the Book of Routes started with the "60" page and just made a few edits. Unfortunately they were not very thorough and there were several incorrect bits copied from the "60" unchanged. 

I believe the "60" has at least one late night trip that ends at confusion corner (or used to years ago) and that too was just left on the "160 'Pembina'" page erroneously.

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

I've always thought that whomever created the "160" page for the Book of Routes started with the "60" page and just made a few edits. Unfortunately they were not very thorough and there were several incorrect bits copied from the "60" unchanged. 

I believe the "60" has at least one late night trip that ends at confusion corner (or used to years ago) and that too was just left on the "160 'Pembina'" page erroneously.

It makes sense that a 60 (and others) trip could end at Osborne Junction, considering how close Fort Rouge Garage is to there. But it would be illogical to have any route end at Osborne Station, except maybe a SB (64/)65/66. I also notice that a Route Description for "to Osborne Station" does not exist on the paper, so it probably is a copy/paste error. I wonder if 310 was programmed in, with "160 Osborne" in it.

9 hours ago, Isaac Williams said:

It makes sense that a 60 (and others) trip could end at Osborne Junction, considering how close Fort Rouge Garage is to there. But it would be illogical to have any route end at Osborne Station, except maybe a SB (64/)65/66. I also notice that a Route Description for "to Osborne Station" does not exist on the paper, so it probably is a copy/paste error. I wonder if 310 was programmed in, with "160 Osborne" in it.

It was 

Winnipeg Transit has the modified (Effective May 3rd) schedules online.

I quick check and I saw no differences with the current Saturday schedules with the modified weekday schedule.

However there were changes with some peak period express routes (current weekday vs modified weekday) 

• Sad 2

I was curious about the 36, since it operates all day on weekdays to/from HSC, but also has extra peak period service to/from Maples in peak hours, and does not operate on Saturday. Apparently it will still operate the peak period Maples buses in the worsened schedule, and in the PM peak there will be 8 buses going to the Maples (the current schedule has 5 to the Maples).

I find it interesting to see that the the 22 will run on a regular weekday schedule (in the peak direction) but 21 will run on a regular Saturday schedule, meaning no Grace Hospital short-turns at rush hour. I guess people looking to go to Superstore or Giant Tiger will be spoiled for choice at rush hour come May 4.

8 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I find it interesting to see that the the 22 will run on a regular weekday schedule (in the peak direction) but 21 will run on a regular Saturday schedule, meaning no Grace Hospital short-turns at rush hour. I guess people looking to go to Superstore or Giant Tiger will be spoiled for choice at rush hour come May 4.

I was just about to mention that, lol. The 21 always running the full route all day (not short-turning at Grace Hospital), even though the 22 is still operating.
21-22.thumb.png.6f8d2db0743dc625959b75b92f911eeb.png