TTC Destination Sign Exposure Inconsistencies

I believe I have seen streetcars eastbound on Lake Shore signed up as 507 SHORT TURN/TO RONCESVALLES.

So instead of running to Humber loop, they are short-turning by running to Humber Loop and then continuing to Roncesvalles. Got it.

2 hours ago, T3G said:

I also don't see the problem. It has to be better than this: image.thumb.png.06d7002cb26100a9a9b3664b49ccad32.png

It's an improvement but why do they need 3 signs? Forget the stupid route name. Just use one sign and say 903A To Kennedy Station // via Scarborough Centre. Riders shouldn't have to watch the bus for 10 second to read all the info. 

If one wonders does a sign like this even exist. Yes the 110A/110B Islington South northbound does exactly what I said. Without the route name it reads, 110A To Islington Stn // via Browns Line/Horner. Hope someone from TTC doesn't read this and decides to update the 110 signs.

For accessibility, they really shouldn't flood the sign with too much info or signs. A period with reading disability might take much longer to read and process info. Keep it simple and avoid multiple signs if possible. 

16 hours ago, T3G said:

I also don't see the problem. It has to be better than this: image.thumb.png.06d7002cb26100a9a9b3664b49ccad32.png

They decreased the size of the route number, put in one-line exposures, and the typeface for the route number and the rest of the sign is off. 

14 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's an improvement but why do they need 3 signs? Forget the stupid route name. Just use one sign and say 903A To Kennedy Station // via Scarborough Centre. Riders shouldn't have to watch the bus for 10 second to read all the info. 

If one wonders does a sign like this even exist. Yes the 110A/110B Islington South northbound does exactly what I said. Without the route name it reads, 110A To Islington Stn // via Browns Line/Horner. Hope someone from TTC doesn't read this and decides to update the 110 signs.

For accessibility, they really shouldn't flood the sign with too much info or signs. A period with reading disability might take much longer to read and process info. Keep it simple and avoid multiple signs if possible. 

I don't understand the comparison to 110 signs. 110 is not an express route, it's been around for a dog's age in pretty much its current setup, and it's not a hugely busy route. I assume the "Via Scarborough Centre station" part is to tell people that there is a stop, and they can transfer to/from the bus. That would be even more important northbound.

Now, I have not needed to keep up with all the route reshuffling, but aren't there routes that have now been sent to Kennedy that do not stop at Scarborough Centre station at all?

15 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

I don't understand the comparison to 110 signs. 110 is not an express route, it's been around for a dog's age in pretty much its current setup, and it's not a hugely busy route. I assume the "Via Scarborough Centre station" part is to tell people that there is a stop, and they can transfer to/from the bus. That would be even more important northbound.

Now, I have not needed to keep up with all the route reshuffling, but aren't there routes that have now been sent to Kennedy that do not stop at Scarborough Centre station at all?

No. All extensions are basically the base route plus 903 interlined. They should probably just put an asterisk * in front of the number. Then post a huge sign for people to follow the asterisk if they want to get to STC.

15 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's really bad on the new streetcars with the pathetically small signs especially when they throw "SHORT TURN" and "OFF ROUTE" into the mix. Sometimes it does literally take over 10 seconds to read out what the destination is. They need to tighten things up. There's somebody who keeps making these frequent changes to the sign programs but it's often for the worse. I spotted a 503 last week with the sign up as "TO YORK ST" when it had always been "YORK via KING" why? 🙄

• Like 1

The 506 buses are using the super old signs (pre 2016) 

“506 MAIN STREET STATION” in a single line. I also saw “506 DUNDAS WEST STATION” once on 3418 even though I’m pretty sure they don’t go there.

Speaking of which, why does 506 use some buses alongside streetcars now. From what I can see there is enough streetcars running like regular schedule. I know there was a collision so they were using them from Coxwell/Queen loop to Main Station yesterday but it’s been happening almost daily now in rush hour. Very odd because this isint mentioned anywhere either 

The 306 cars go to Dundas West. I don't know if some late-running 506 might go there as well.

In looking this up, seems the TTC hasn't caught up to the fact that its streetcars on Carlton are accessible. Seems to be also what they think about some other routes, though not Harbourfront.

image.thumb.png.8dfec49fa6adfc8ca307ead2f85492b9.png

2 hours ago, Highway of Heroes said:

Visual Sighting 

11C Bayview Buses now have the updated destination sign saying to “Roe Loop via Sunnybrooke & Lawrence Station.” Stating today.

Speaking of 11 Bayview, they fixed the offset between exposures but the route name is now condensed -> B  A  Y  V  I  E  W  is now just BAYVIEW. Doesn't look that good.

4 hours ago, Highway of Heroes said:

Visual Sighting 

11C Bayview Buses now have the updated destination sign saying to “Roe Loop via Sunnybrooke & Lawrence Station.” Stating today.

They really should punch in the temporary sign codes for the current 11C to not confuse people. 

3428 was deadheading to Malvern using a 512S ST CLAIR sign but the format was super weird

Something like:

512S ST CLAIR

512S SHORT

512S SHORT TURN

ST CLAIR W STN

(keep in mind he was zooming past me at 60-70kmh so don’t get mad if I’m wrong) 

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, TransitFan88 said:

Just saw it for the first time today. Looks like they only did it to the 68B.

Noticed they updated 17A and 102D to remove the extra fare signage. They likely did this for 68B as well which is why only 68B has no spaces. Lately, every time a sign with spaced out letters gets an update the spaces are removed.

45 minutes ago, TransitFan88 said:

Just saw it for the first time today. Looks like they only did it to the 68B.

Yeah it's just 68B. Both directions through. Southbound 68B displays 68 WARDEN while 68A displays 68 W A R D E N

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, izzya258 said:

Got 8218 on the 337S. Sign looks like this.

20240421075354_IMG_2766.jpg

Pretty much all the blue night short turn signs with a destination look like that.

337S Islington / Blue Night > 337S Short Turn / to Islington Stn

The only inconsistencies is the text “short turn” could be 7 pixels tall or 8 pixels depending on the route.

The 329S sign to Sheppard West Stn is a bit different as it was only recently added in January.