TTC Destination Sign Exposure Inconsistencies

2 hours ago, Articulated said:

the road network east of there means it's probably another 10 minutes to loop out to McCowan and back to drop off/pick up zero passengers.

Usually they take a convoluted loop via Triton, McCowan, Ellesmere, Grangeway, and Bushby, which often gets stuck turning left.

Since the shakeup of The Beaches area leading to permanent changes to the 22, 31 and 503. The 22A is discontinued and the 22B got new signs with the branch letter dropped. The new signs has no spaces in between the letters, making them look more like Miway signs than TTC signs. Even before the 22B gain it's branch letter, it read 22 C O X W E L L, T o  Q u e e n. Now it's just 22 COXWELL, To Queen. Same goes for the name in other direction.

Heard from the route supervisor that “31 Greenwood,Kingston/Rd Queen,Connection to Carlton streetcar” got deleted

506 Carlton to dundas west station for buses has both, a 506 CARLTON>506 DUNDAS WEST STN and a single large exposure “506 DUNDAS WEST STATION” 

On 8/3/2023 at 10:13 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

Since the shakeup of The Beaches area leading to permanent changes to the 22, 31 and 503. The 22A is discontinued and the 22B got new signs with the branch letter dropped. The new signs has no spaces in between the letters, making them look more like Miway signs than TTC signs. Even before the 22B gain it's branch letter, it read 22 C O X W E L L, T o  Q u e e n. Now it's just 22 COXWELL, To Queen. Same goes for the name in other direction.

Just saw this on some buses. But of them was using the old 22A sign with “DETOUR ON ROUTE”..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There’s another 903 sign, or maybe this was previously used for something else. It’s just “SCARBOROUGH CTR STN” single exposure side and front signs. Back sign shows “3”.

the 903 sign is also weird, the side one but I guess it’s meant to be this way:

903 SCARBOROUGH

903 CENTRE

903 STATION

903 EXPRESS

EXPRESS NETWORK

On 9/20/2023 at 8:42 PM, CJ. said:

There’s another 903 sign, or maybe this was previously used for something else. It’s just “SCARBOROUGH CTR STN” single exposure side and front signs. Back sign shows “3”.

the 903 sign is also weird, the side one but I guess it’s meant to be this way:

903 SCARBOROUGH

903 CENTRE

903 STATION

903 EXPRESS

EXPRESS NETWORK

The 903 exposures are quite a mess, tho I haven't seen only a 3 being displayed at the back.

11 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The Queen East shuttle buses are sign 501D/513 QUEEN EAST to Neville Park or to Church

Why can't they just pick one.

My guess is that if someone doesn't see the 501 Queen destination sign visible, they won't board waiting for one that will show 501 Queen to take them where they need to go. This is along with how they aren't programmed into the TTC website, but it is available on Transsee via Route 513 Queen East. 

Considering that you get some people who board without looking at the destination sign. 

15 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The Queen East shuttle buses are sign 501D/513 QUEEN EAST to Neville Park or to Church

Why can't they just pick one.

It could be temporary to help people familiarize themselves with the route? I say they should remove 501D and leave it as 513 after 2-3 months but given the lackluster signage we’ve been seeing in recent years, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

On 9/23/2023 at 9:33 PM, TransitFan88 said:

The 903 exposures are quite a mess, tho I haven't seen only a 3 being displayed at the back.

I saw someone using 3 SUBWAY SHUTTLE BUS TO SCARBOROUGH CTR NON-STOP earlier today 

Its been almost 1 month since bus service has been suspended at Broadview stn, yet the destination signs on the 8, 87 and 62 have not been updated.  The 8 still say to Broadview stn. Lately the buses on the 62 and 8 have the SHORTURN signs up.  Only once i saw a RAD bus on the 8 that actually said "8 Broadview - to Mortimer and Broadview".

Something so simple, I don't understand why the TTC cant update the signs.  When the 100 was moved to Pape, the destination signs were updated overnight.

The 501D/513 is the first time that a double route streetcar shuttle has a route name and destination displayed. 47/512 is the first time they displayed a route name with a destination but that's a branch of the 47. Previously signs like 504/505 and 504A/506 are signed with only destination.  

Uniquely route 513 QUEEN EAST is only used for these 2 weeks. This is supposedly a trial to see if they can introduced a new number for the split route but ultimately they didn't go forward with it. (originally proposed as 502 in a presentation back in June). Next board they would revert to just 501 streetcars.

513eb.thumb.jpg.a888445068ef254706511f2c9d71fcdd.jpg513wb.thumb.jpg.214f82f7701fed58288962df921dc027.jpg

I'll leave these here for those who haven't gotten a chance to see this unique temporary route.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2023 at 6:18 PM, TransitFan88 said:

The 116 Morningside displays “To Finch & Morningside” as the destination but the external audio announcement announces “to Finch and Morningside Heights”.

Same with 22 coxwell to queen but external says Queen Street East, 31 and 64 used to be like that too when VISION was new to the TTC. 22 just slid through the cracks

4 hours ago, CJ. said:

Same with 22 coxwell to queen but external says Queen Street East

True tho this is a unique case where "Morningside" is referring to a neighbourhood, Morningside Heights. "To Finch/Morningside Heights (or Hts)" would've made more sense.

21 minutes ago, TransitFan88 said:

True tho this is a unique case where "Morningside" is referring to a neighbourhood, Morningside Heights. "To Finch/Morningside Heights (or Hts)" would've made more sense.

Whoever edited the sign was just careless. The old 116C displays to Finch and Morningside Hts, they simplified the 116 sign to fit in one line but copy and pasted the text-to-speech line.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 7:45 PM, Kumiko Oumae said:

954 LAWRENCE EAST EXPRESS signage now reads "TO STARSPRAY BLVD" as with the 54E in the past. Before it read "TO STARSPRAY" as its destination. WB buses appears to be using "TO KENNEDY STATION" text but I did not see it.

IMG_8766.jpeg

That's what it looks like.

image.thumb.jpeg.7db49a9f5ab30a889faecf8018fa2b11.jpeg

I keep seeing the 22 coxwell sign and just keep thinking that this looks exactly like a Miway sign. It’s super inconsistent with any other sign in the system at all but I rather like it and hope it becomes the new norm. Although the spaced out destination signs are unique to TTC, this one is “minimalized” which is always nice to see 

• 2 weeks later...

The 506 Carlton shuttle bus that ran for the last couple nights ended up with lots of the old signs, the really old signs.

506 C H U R C H. Funny thing is that vision announced it as a “Route 506 westbound westbound towards church”. Seems like it was an untouched copy from when they had the TRUMP system. Operators were manually changing their signs but some were on the real 506 and just using it with “detour on route”.

i also witnessed the original destination sign at least once:

506 MAIN STREET

STATION 

In the past year, TTC has been spelling station out instead of stn whenever space permits. The 97C sign however displays to Eglinton Stn. The 97A/B signs displays to St Clair Station.

Also they added spaces displaying Y O N G E instead of YONGE unlike all the other signs they made recently such as updated MORTIMER and COSBURN.