1998 C40LF Tracking

APPARENTLY, all the Vancouver D40LF's have A/C but CMBC/Translink instruct the mechanics to disable it.

Mister Cassidy

Those were never delivered a/c, it camed with the solid back panel like the ETS 1998 D40LF for heater purpose. If you get a chance, look at the side control and those have HVAC knob switch that says "Cool", they will have a/c.

It would be interesting how well those guys did the work by installing two tanks on their dieselized C40LF as well the performance.

There was no A/C on Vancouver's D40LF's or C40LF's to even be disconnected by Mechanics.

It would be interesting how well those guys did the work by installing two tanks on their dieselized C40LF as well the performance.

Two tanks???
3285 and 3303 currently parking inside RTC, this is the pic of 3285 taken at this afternoon~~
As well, I can see where the fuel door has been installed on 3285 right in the same place as regular true D40LF's. Nice pic and thanks for sharing it with us. Now we just gotta see the inside as I am pretty sure the seating arrangement has been changed to accommodate the new diesel fuel tanks that have been installed.

There was no A/C on Vancouver's D40LF's or C40LF's to even be disconnected by Mechanics.

Ok, never mind my above message. Is there anything similar to A/C that could be delivered then disconnected? Like some "cool air" system?

As well, I can see where the fuel door has been installed on 3285 right in the same place as regular true D40LF's. Nice pic and thanks for sharing it with us. Now we just gotta see the inside as I am pretty sure the seating arrangement has been changed to accommodate the new diesel fuel tanks that have been installed.

Well I know they removed the very last set of seats before the raised portion of the back. Cut a hole, put a tank in there, and I suspect they just put the seats to face inwards like the rest of the D40LF's.

Mister Cassidy

Ok, never mind my above message. Is there anything similar to A/C that could be delivered then disconnected? Like some "cool air" system?

No.

oh... it's just a standard heater? ah well... still odd configuration nevertheless =P

- Allan Kuan

What odd? Where else can it have heater since the tanks are on top and you can't put the rooftop heater?

• 2 weeks later...

At RTC right now...

3303 was originally parked with 3285 and 3293 in a spot over on the east fence (bordering Ironwood Ctr). Now 3293 is the only one remaining there.

3285 was parked in the inspection line. As I was leaving RTC I spotted another C40LF being moved around the yard, which must have been 3303.

I was down at RTC this afternoon waiting to see if any C40LFs would come out on PM trippers, when I got tipped off by Cathay 888 that 3303 was already out - on an all-day run. The bus was enroute from 22nd Street Station as a 410 Railway on block 97/401, but it had some troubles at No.3 and Cambie and had to get attention from a supervisor and shop truck.

The mechanic managed to get it going again, but of course the bus was late so a deadhead to the Steveston terminus was necessary to put the run back on time. We followed the bus/supervisor van/shop truck procession down to Steveston to get a photo.

The trouble with the bus must have reared its head again at some point, because when I went to catch it as a 401 about an hour ago, it had been replaced by 7154.

At RTC, 3285 is still parked outside the shops in the inspection line, and 3293 has now disappeared from the Ironwood Mall fence. I don't know whether it was out as well, or whether it was tucked away in the shop getting prepped for service.

I have a chance to have a ride on 3303, it's very smooth with the series 50 EGR engine and the new generation of B400R transmission~~

Here is some photos of 3303 at my album~~

CMBC- 1998 New Flyer C40LF (Dieselization)

Interesting to see. They still have that old sticker to run it 2 minutes before shutdown. Only the new plate dashboard that covered the old section for the transmission pushbutton.

If there's possible to take another photo for the tanks inside the two seater across the rear door, just want to see what is looks like since CMBC does customization.

Only 6 remaining 98 C40LF with Cummins. They are continue to running strong!

Interesting to see. They still have that old sticker to run it 2 minutes before shutdown. Only the new plate dashboard that covered the old section for the transmission pushbutton.

Anyone know why they had the 2 minutes idle before shutdown sticker?

Jeff

Anyone know why they had the 2 minutes idle before shutdown sticker?

Jeff

For any engine in any vehicle, it is very bad to shut it down right after you finish driver and after the heavy work load the engine just endured, idling for 2 minuets lets it cools off just a slight bit enough for the engine to not have to shut off in a very hot condition. Engines for CNG are problemful enough and idling it is suppose help the wear and tear before shutdown.

• Board Admin

That's one of the problems I see with the "anti-idling" policies here - the drivers pull into the transit centre and just park and shut the bus down.

So much for those turbos, I wonder how many are replaced each month!

That's one of the problems I see with the "anti-idling" policies here - the drivers pull into the transit centre and just park and shut the bus down.

So much for those turbos, I wonder how many are replaced each month!

In Calgary, They ask us to let the bus run for at least two minutes before shutting it down. Our anti-idling policy is to shut the bus down if layover is 5 minutes or longer (about -10 celsius or above). That makes it hard if you gotta go to the can and walking to the nearest can is at least a couple of minutes to get to and from plus time spent in the washroom and the layover is 6 minutes. So you wait 2 minutes before shutting down the bus then head off to the facilities! By the time you get back and fire the bus back up it's probably been closer to 9-10 minutes.