1998 C40LF Tracking

Any C40LF with Cummins engine will last longer.

We also all thought that they would never dieselize the C40LF's because of the costs, look what they did.

Honestly, I think the Cummins buses will be safe because the major issues with the other C40LF's were the power trains. If there are 6 buses with the same power trains as the 25 C40LFR's running in the same depot, they'll probably keep them.

Chris Cassidy

We also all thought that they would never dieselize the C40LF's because of the costs, look what they did.

Honestly, I think the Cummins buses will be safe because the major issues with the other C40LF's were the power trains. If there are 6 buses with the same power trains as the 25 C40LFR's running in the same depot, they'll probably keep them.

Yup! But the reason I don't think they will convert Cummins C40LF's for the time being is because of the amount of money they spent on them swapping the Series 50G engines out for the Cummins C+ engines. As well, I am sure that was a typo, but I thought there were 50 C40LFR's running out of Poco?? (Besides the one that burned).

Chris Cassidy

It's also the facility repair is in Vancouver, so parts are available to get it easier.

what is the relation between cummins and cummins-westport?

Westport partnered with Cummins about a decade ago to develop a CNG powerplant for heavy vehicles. As far as transit is concerned, the result of that partnership was 3292, the C40LF which was repowered with a Cummins-Westport C+ CNG engine. That bus was used by Cummins-Westport for several years as a demonstrator. I recall seeing it running around Vancouver once or twice in 2004.

I was suprised to see P3290 be converted to diesel considering they swapped the transmission in it, that not exactly cheap either.

They tested out the transmission to see if the Series 50G can accelerate better, it does work.

I belive the Series 50G engine parts are becoming more expensive to repair than ever.