Calgary Transit

kevlo86

6 hours ago, vicinity said:

305 deleted

408 deleted

As a former Bownesian, and I am not referring to the former grocery store, I used to hear about how service in Bowness sucked compared to other parts of the city. It seems the city is intent on proving their point.

I loved the 408, was a great route before they started to mess with it to avoid Bowness. Same with the 305, sending it up to COP was a dumb idea as a lot of people that relied on it lost the service when it was moved. I signed on it immediately after the move to COP and after leaving Bowness there would be no one on it in either direction.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vicinity said:

A loop in strathcona and a loop in sirocco no west hills service 

Similar to the 408 however there is a more direct route being used to crestmount and valley ridge 

This also includes a 23 minute headway all day which is a lot better then what is used right now 

31 minutes ago, D40LF said:

As a former Bownesian, and I am not referring to the former grocery store, I used to hear about how service in Bowness sucked compared to other parts of the city. It seems the city is intent on proving their point.

I loved the 408, was a great route before they started to mess with it to avoid Bowness. Same with the 305, sending it up to COP was a dumb idea as a lot of people that relied on it lost the service when it was moved. I signed on it immediately after the move to COP and after leaving Bowness there would be no one on it in either direction.

To be fair, the 53 has been a nice improvement over the old 407 in terms of directness and frequency and service span 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, D40LF said:

The routing to COP never made sense to me either. If maybe the 305 was all day service, I could see some sense in it. But since morning trips originate from COP, there is very few reasons why someone would be beginning their trip from there. The few outbound trips in the morning arent likely to garner much ridership either. The afternoon situation isn’t much better since you can get to COP in the afternoon but will likely be stuck relying on the 408 for the return trip.

As discussed on this board over the years, the 305 has always been plagued with the issue that its not that much faster than the 1 and it was quite often scheduled to run minutes apart from a 1 anyway.

Im kind of glad its getting axed in favour of more service on the 1. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vicinity said:

Similar to the 408 however there is a more direct route being used to crestmount and valley ridge 

Im curious how this will differ from the 408 which already seems fairly direct to me for what its trying to accomplish. That whole part of the city has always seemed like a transit planners worst nightmare.

Perhaps im biased growing up in NE and East Calgary where we have such simple and clean loop lines radiating from the LRT stations with the occasional mainline routes travelling in straight lines along major roads.

Some of the newer developments in the far NW or SE dont seem much better with their long winding routes which could easily take you a half hour just to get to areas like Somerset or North Pointe. I suppose this is more an urban sprawl problem that it is a transit one though!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I’m curious about the bus stop arrangement for Centre Street x 4th Avenue South.

If you’re travelling north from Chinatown, Routes 2, 3, 17 and 300 are on the far side on northbound Centre Street x 4th Avenue S but Route 301 is on the near side. This means that you can’t just stand in one spot and take the first bus that passes by.

Is there a reason for the current arrangement? My first guess is that it’s to allow for splitting up the volume of departures/arrivals.

(If it were up to me, I would have all the downtown expresses use the far-side stop and everything else on the near-side stop, which has space and could possibly accommodate the combined departures of Route 2, 3, 17, 300 and 301, even at peak times?)

8 hours ago, downbeat said:

(If it were up to me, I would have all the downtown expresses use the far-side stop and everything else on the near-side stop, which has space and could possibly accommodate the combined departures of Route 2, 3, 17, 300 and 301, even at peak times?)

Doesn't the farside stop in front of Dragon City Mall technically have more waiting space? If there is a huge crowd standing there waiting at the stop, you could always walk around them by going behind the shelter. It seems far roomier there in general with the mall entrance too, which can also be a plus during inclement weather.

The near-side stop south of 4th Ave is literally on the sidewalk with not as much room to get around people if there's a huge crowd of people waiting for buses.

3 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

Doesn't the farside stop in front of Dragon City Mall technically have more waiting space?.

I should have been clearer: more room for buses on the street relative to available sidewalk space for passengers to wait. You could move the bus stop by Dragon City Mall farther north but at that point, there’s really nowhere for people to stand and wait.

The near-side stop is adjacent to a parking lot, so lots of space (as long as the parking lot is there, anyway)

On 7/13/2023 at 10:10 AM, vicinity said:

Weekday September 4th changes

1 peak frequency increased to every 11 minutes 

2 peak frequency increased to 15-18 and midday increased to every 21 

3 peak increased to 6-7 

4/5 midday increased to 20 and evening increased to every 23

10 all day 30 minutes

20 peak increased to 13/14 minutes 

23 peak every 10-12 minutes midday and evening every 20 minutes 

32/46 peak 15-17 

34 service span increased to 19:45

38 peak 14 minutes midday 17 midday evening 19 minutes 

42 peak 14 minutes 

49 peak 14 minutes 

New route 51 west hills discovery ridge 

58 peak 15 minutes 

59/85 all day 25 minutes 

71 peak 16 minutes 

90 peak 25 minutes 

94 peak 25 minutes off peak 50 minutes 

new route 108 paskapoo loop

123 peak 22 minutes 

124 peak 15 minutes midday 23 minutes evening 23 minutes 

148 service span increased to 23:30 off peak 30 minutes 

155 peak 23 minutes 

new route 164 aspen summit )replacing 454.

300 midday increased to 22-26 minutes 

301 peak 5 minutes 

302 service span increased to 24:20

303 peak 8-10 minutes midday 11/12 minutes evening 20 minutes 

305 deleted 

306 midday 20 minutes 

408 deleted 

421 peak 15 minutes 

422 all day 30 minutes 

453 deleted and replaced with 51 

Will the new route changes in the northeast change on September 4th also?

I am forever amused by people who can’t figure out how to open the back door. I can understand not immediately getting the Nova Bus hand waving thing … but not understanding the New Flyer push bar is weird. 
(Ideally, there would be one standard method to open the doors.)

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

I am forever amused by people who can’t figure out how to open the back door. I can understand not immediately getting the Nova Bus hand waving thing … but not understanding the New Flyer push bar is weird. 
(Ideally, there would be one standard method to open the doors.)

I could swear this has suddenly gotten much worse in only the last year or two as well 🙄

1 minute ago, 7979 d40lf fan said:

I AM SO FING MAD. NOW WHEN I RIDE THE BUS TO MY COUSINS IT WILL SAY PASKAPOO SLOPES 😡😡😡 I MISS THE 400 number routes, 402,406,408,

Can you stop posting off topic stuff like this? It has nothing to do with the service and is quite annoying to read.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, agott said:

This morning I noticed a Novabus (can’t remember the number) on a Route 3 to Sandstone going East on 7th Ave to Centre Street. Is that normal or is it due to construction on the roads or something?

You are correct. There seems to be construction on 5th Ave SW that is causing a detour. Yesterday night the 3 was turning East on 7th Ave, South onto 1st St, East on 9th Ave, then North on Centre St, then onto it's normal route.

There does not seem to be any notice on the site, or Twitter.

I rode a arboc today on the 167 and when we were turning the driver was speeding up so fast cause the light was turning yellow so when we turned the bus bounced like really high from a bump. I just recall seeing everyone at the back go flying in the mirror😂 ct needs to slow down. Its okay to miss a green light

2023 Fall Service Revisions page is available now. It hasn't officially been made accessible from the main page yet so still subject to change. No big surprises thanks to the big sneak peek we got from vicinity. As per usual, schedules won't be available until closer to the start of the new signup.

Maps are available for the new routes including the new 108 which has a MUCH better routing through the Winsport/COP area. I didn't realize they had built a new road there.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Transit Fan said:

2023 Fall Service Revisions page is available now

Some things for the proofreader(s), perhaps:

• Route 8 revisions make mention of departures from “downtown” but the route doesn’t service the city centre.
  • Route 10 revisions say weekend but we’d previously heard about the improvements being for weekday.
  • Route 53 revisions seem redundant: the service already runs every 31 minutes every day.
  • Routes 67 and 87 are perhaps no longer interlined? Their listed improvements aren’t synced this time around.
  • Route 68 says school trips removed, rather than added. I don’t remember this route ever having any such trips anyway.
  • Route 301 probably has a typo: “Weekend morning and afternoon peak service frequency has been improved to every 5 minutes”

Other things:

• Route 302 improvements previewed on the forum aren’t shown.
  • The new Route 108 alignment looks really good.
  • The system could use more bus stop optimization, as they’re doing on 17 Avenue S.W.
  • Route 128’s new weekend service appears to be kicking off the northeast improvements one season early.
  • Like 4

I also now notice improvements to MAX Yellow that were not previously discussed here:

Weekday peak service frequency has been adjusted to every 11 minutes, and every 19 minutes off-peak.

Also, the changes to Route 440 aren’t new and don’t constitute an improvement, as headways are longer than they were before.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 7979 d40lf fan said:

Im proud of calgary transit for keeping 1825 for so long, 10 years in service. Officially retired july 27th on route 101. I praise them for keeping up with maintenance!

Just because a bus hasn't been active in a while doesn't mean it's retired.  Do you have an accurate source for this information?

• Like 4