West LRT Construction Updates

mersar

Did route 104 on Friday and noticed that the ballast is in place along the length of Bow Trail with ties in place at the west end heading towards the tunnel.

Also the track is in place along 17th Ave and up onto the Sarcee Trail bridge. In the east the catenary supports have been added to a couple of the masts.

What I dont understand is why the tracks across 11th Street were never laid when they were doing road construction!

There may be some utility work to be done yet.

I hear they need 65 operators for the west leg next March (sign on for trains starts every March :P) Expect to see lots of rookies next year, should be interesting to who comes on......and then off...

• 3 weeks later...
FINALLY!! Underground LRT. Thats gonna be interesting!

They were originally going to have it underground in 1980, but scrapped it due to budgetary concerns (we all know what that turned out for Edmontons LRT Expansion after the Downtown tunnels)

They were originally going to have it underground in 1980, but scrapped it due to budgetary concerns (we all know what that turned out for Edmontons LRT Expansion after the Downtown tunnels)

I do not believe we are referring to the section that is downtown. The section noted in the video is out west of the downtown core. Nothing to do with the section that was going to be underground in the downtown core in 1980....

• 1 month later...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/...3850/story.html

Two years ago, then-mayor Dave Bronconnier stood by the west LRT’s future final station and declared the new C-Train line would take its first passengers at 5 a.m. on Dec. 10, 2012.

But that due date won’t be met and the west LRT is now not scheduled to open until March 2013 after construction was hampered by the slower-than-expected relocation of franchise utilities to make way for the megaproject.

The west LRT is now not scheduled to open until March 2013 after construction was hampered by the slower-than-expected relocation of franchise utilities to make way for the megaproject.

Ouch.

And I wondered whether the trenching of the line around 45th street was going to cause any cost overruns...

So what does this mean to the west end of 7th Avenue? Another 3 months of construction, or will the City actually have the West gateway station done prior to opening of the West LRT?

Jon

The west LRT is now not scheduled to open until March 2013 after construction was hampered by the slower-than-expected relocation of franchise utilities to make way for the megaproject

Not surprised. The west leg project is a major undertaking.

• 1 month later...

I took a few pics of Shaganappi Point Station when I was in the area a few days ago. Click for full size.

6kAYPl.jpg

The new 24th St pedestrian bridge opened on December 13th.

nFXB8l.jpg

The east end of the station. I think the copper roof has been treated with something? It's darker and less shiny than it was previously.

QVaGSl.jpg

A look into the station from the east end pedestrian crossing (equipped with vehicle-style barriers, like some stations on the south leg).

The EB bus stop has been moved to the east side of 26th St and now has a proper bus bay, with an asphalt path leading to the 24th St pedestrian bridge.

Most of the signals between Shaganappi Point and 11th St are in place, and catenary is starting to go up near 11th St on the bridge.

The east end of the station. I think the copper roof has been treated with something? It's darker and less shiny than it was previously.

It may of just naturally oxidized, it doesn't take long for that stuff to do that. With the price of copper these days, I'm surprised that nobody has tried to rip it off!! :lol:

I am quite surprised that ALL West LRT stations are side-loading except for 69 Street Station

For Shaganappi Point, 45 Street, and Sirocco it is not that much of an issue but for Sunalta and Westbrook its crazy as they will have two sets of stairs escalators and elevators for each side of the station as opposed to just one set for a center loading platform

for Sunalta and Westbrook its crazy as they will have two sets of stairs escalators and elevators for each side of the station as opposed to just one set for a center loading platform

It could be that a wider tunnel/guideway for the approach cost more than an extra set of stairs and elevators. It could be an operational issue. The planners made this decision with information that is not available to us.

All we know is that terminal stations must be center-load (so the train can arrive or depart from either side, if another train is already there.)

Your post has made it occur to me that the new 11 Street W station will not open until the West LRT opens in March 2013 as it is a side-loading station and therefore cannot be a terminus station.

So im guessing that 10 Street W will stay in place until West LRT opening day when 11 Street W will open and the center-loading platform will be quickly removed. It is just a concrete slab sitting in the middle of 7 Avenue anyways.

Your post has made it occur to me that the new 11 Street W station will not open until the West LRT opens in March 2013 as it is a side-loading station and therefore cannot be a terminus station.

So im guessing that 10 Street W will stay in place until West LRT opening day when 11 Street W will open and the center-loading platform will be quickly removed. It is just a concrete slab sitting in the middle of 7 Avenue anyways.

It doesn't sound like that will be possible:

http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=4759&st=180&p=514760entry514760

It might be more inconvenient to passengers, but I don't see how a side-load platform cannot temporarily be a terminus station. The crossovers will continue to be there, and if the south platform is occupied, then the crossovers line straight through and the train uses the north platform.

I still think they should have the 10th street platform out of the way prior to March 2013 and using the gateway station irrespective of the WestLRT completion.

Jon

I'm thinking for the short time that 11 Street W is the terminus station that they could possibly span a temporary pedestrian bridge at the Western edge of the platform to allow people to cross over in the case that the train pulls into the platform on the opposite to the side on which they are standing.

Does anybody know when 11 Street W is expected to open anyways?

Here are some pics I took today, Noticed some very unique differences with one of the interlocking signals. D56A and D56B heading west (labeled wrong should be labeled the other way around the O.B track should be the A track and not the B track) has a HW under the signal. Not sure what that means, I wonder if thats a high speed interlocking that I heard about, trains can take that switch at 60KM/H rather then the uasual 20KM/H.

Enjoy....

69st_station_parkade.jpg

69st_station_west.jpg

69st_station_west_tail.jpg

D41.jpg

D45.jpg

D56A_D57B_HW.jpg

guidway.jpg

interlocking_D57A_D57B_EB.jpg

unique_catenary_pole.jpg