ETS Centennial Celebration

A. Wong

If you stopped spending all your time worrying about trolleys you would have plenty of time for the important things in life...like wedding rehearsal, wedding, spending time with dying aunt and friend, etc. A bus is a bus is a bus.... life only happens once (unless you believe in reincarnation) so don't waste it.

I would take Ms. Krushell over you any day James.

I would take Ms. Krushell over you any day James.

ah well at least one person likes her besides the mayor lol.

Even the media is starting to think twice... maybe you should sit and really understand. you should come to one of our meetings some day. you might learn something

Car 1 was indeed turned around and they did use that spot on the track to turn her around.

On another note, tonight was the ETS Homecoming party in Fort Ed Park

Streetcars 24, 42 and 80 were in operation. sometimes #1 came out I drove #80

ETS Buses 22, 432, 438, 5 and 202 were down in the park. #5 was able to drive within the park under it's own power a bit but i am otld it just needs brakes done and a couple odd's and ends. i have pics but im not downlodaing them tonihgt.

We had a parade going back to the garage tonight. 22, 438, 432 then me in my van. Made a stop in Southgate with all 3 buses. lots of fun at 11:30 at night.

Lots of people came out and it was a blast. enjoyed a few snacks with Bill and Dan before we started our parade back to Westwood.

Didn't see Charlie Stolte tonight. kinda sad considering the kind of celebration it is.

He's still downing champagne and caviar after Wednesday. :unsure:

My friends Vi and Alex went to the Homecoming. So did Laura and her grandson Kellen.

i think i saw Vi there, im not sure i didnt make it to the party till about 1030 because i had been driving. most people had left. but i think i saw her much earlier.

Car 1 was indeed turned around and they did use that spot on the track to turn her around.

On another note, tonight was the ETS Homecoming party in Fort Ed Park

Streetcars 24, 42 and 80 were in operation. sometimes #1 came out I drove #80

ETS Buses 22, 432, 438, 5 and 202 were down in the park. #5 was able to drive within the park under it's own power a bit but i am otld it just needs brakes done and a couple odd's and ends. i have pics but im not downlodaing them tonihgt.

We had a parade going back to the garage tonight. 22, 438, 432 then me in my van. Made a stop in Southgate with all 3 buses. lots of fun at 11:30 at night.

Lots of people came out and it was a blast. enjoyed a few snacks with Bill and Dan before we started our parade back to Westwood.

Didn't see Charlie Stolte tonight. kinda sad considering the kind of celebration it is.

202 was down there? Wow. I'm surprised they would even allow a trolley bus to be put on display.

• 2 weeks later...

Straight out of the Effective Communications Department...

ETS Website: http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt/ga...ical_Tours_.htm

Here’s a good way to bring colour into your summer this year. Take one of our ETS historical bus tours.

Our popular tours feature local historians, who act as guides during the 2 daily trips. The first tour of each day travels through the Old Glenora area and the second tour travels through Norwood along the original 1908 Streetcar line.

2008 Historical Transit Tours begin Tuesday, July 8.

Tour tickets can be purchased at Tix on the Square 780-420-1757 during the summer. Tours take approximately 90 minutes and leave from the north side of City Hall at 99 Street and 103A Avenue (bus stop #1123).

Join our tour guides as they educate and entertain bringing city landmarks and buildings, and ETS history to life through their stories.

July In Transit: http://www.edmonton.ca/portal/server.pt/ga...ers/default.htm

Historic Tours Expanded

Join the ride of the century this summer and help us celebrate 100 years of public transit service to Edmonton by taking one of our ETS historical bus tours.

As part of the ETS Centennial celebrations, we’re running all four of our popular tours with the addition of a special Centennial tour connecting to the High Level Bridge Streetcar.

Featuring local historians as guides, our tours run from Saturday, July 26 to Saturday, August 23. We have two tours on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 1:30pm and 7pm, as well as tours on Saturday at 10:30am and 2pm.

The first tour of each day will be the special Centennial tour. It’s been designed to show riders highlights from the original street car route and travels on both the north and south sides of the river. In addition, customers from this route have the option to transfer to the High Level Bridge Streetcar at no extra charge.

Each of the other routes will be running in the afternoon slot for a week: July 26-31 is the Glenora tour; August 2-7 is the Norwood tour; August 9-14 is the Strathcona tour; and August 16-23 is the Highlands tour.

Tour tickets are $5 and are available for advance purchase starting July 9 at Tix on the Square (780-420-1757).

Tours take approximately 90 minutes and leave from the north side of City Hall at 99 Street/103A Avenue (bus stop #1123).

Join our tour guides as they educate and entertain, bringing city landmarks and buildings, and ETS history to life through their stories.

For more information see the ETS Trip Planner or call 780-496-1611.

Note that the In Transit version states the first tour of each day (afternoon Tues/Thurs, morning Sat) is the Centennial Tour, and then says that "Each of the other routes will be running in the afternoon slot for a week". Would have been easier to say: "Each of the other routes will be running as the second tour of the day for a week". Or something to that effect.

I believe Doug said that there were some other problems. I believe something about the Strathcona tour.

The July In Transit is closest. Tours start July 26, 2008.

I believe the tours were originally supposed to start July 8, however, apparently funding fell through and hence the later start time. Also, the July 8th start date information says "during the 2 daily trips". Seems to indicate they would be running 2 trips per day.

Sounds like Doug is doing all/ most of the tours.

At least there were no spelling mistakes :P

There's some inconsistencies, and at least 1 missing coma.

"Our popular tours feature local historians, who act as guides during the 2 daily trips."

Should that read "Our popular tours feature local historians, who act as guides, during the 2 daily trips."?

Didn't we have two streetcar lines? Edmonton routing, and then Strathcona? Which means everything about the original streetcar line should be the original streetcar lines.

"streetcar" is spelt as "streetcar" but there is at least one instance of "street car". Nothing wrong, but, it is a bit inconsistent.

I'm also curious about the names for these tours.

If I were writing them, I would be capitalizing them. Example: ETS Historical Bus Tour. They are not. But, that could be my mistake.

Interstingly, in the July 8th text, there is a heading or title or something that was bolded on the ETS website.

"2008 Historical Transit Tours begin Tuesday, July 8."

Either:

- Historical Transit Tours is considered a name, and should be capitalized (in which other cases throughout the text should be capitalized as well, as per my example above)

- Or "begin" should have been capitalized if it was a title.

Either way, I figure there's a mistake in there.

And speaking of capitialization... July 8 text the original streetcar line(s) is refered to as the 1908 Streetcar line. I don't see why that capitalization is there.

Anyways, I figured I'd see what I could pick out after your comment about no spelling mistakes. :( Hopefully what ever text editor they use has some sort of spell checking capabilities.

We have to read a lot more poorly worded posts on this board than what ETS puts out, and as per my usual disclaimer. I am far from perfect with grammar so don't try to bust my balls if my posts are not perfect, because they won't be. However, one would hope that if you are putting something on the internet, or in print (In Transit newsletters) that there has been some sort of thought put into it, as to whether or not proper grammer is used.

Of course, that's besides the fact they have wrong information posted front and centre on the website. The July 8th Historical Tours info will be the first to be seen. You would have to go into the In Transit newsletter to find the correct information. It seems most information posted on the ETS home page is contained in the In Transit newsletters anyways.

Yes, there were two original streetcar lines. However, the Edmonton line (95 St/118 Ave-116 St/Jasper Ave) started first ran on October 29, with the first run to Strathcona on October 31. Regular service on the Edmonton line about three weeks before regular service to Strathcona.

There's some inconsistencies, and at least 1 missing coma.

"Our popular tours feature local historians, who act as guides during the 2 daily trips."

Should that read "Our popular tours feature local historians, who act as guides, during the 2 daily trips."?

Didn't we have two streetcar lines? Edmonton routing, and then Strathcona? Which means everything about the original streetcar line should be the original streetcar lines.