Brampton Transit/Züm

Gil

Historically, the OMB usually sides with the developers. My 2 cents.

It's more complex that that. For instance, they approved two large towers in the Queen West area, but rejected the third. I seem to recall that they also sided with the community - to a degree - with the Uptown Minto towers at Yonge and Eglinton, and they were built at a lower height than originally intended.

Dan

I hope somebody posts up a picture of it

Still in OC red & white, with white BT logos on the side & front, blue "TRANING BUS" lettering on the side at the front. There's a verbal picture. It was out on the road Friday.

That'll do. Disappointing though. Would have been nicer to see it in new colours but it was done on the cheap....of course. Thanks

Well, it's only on (temporary) lease at any rate. New Flyer would probably be the one doing any repainting.

Service Improvements

Effective March 26, 2012

4 Chinguacousy

• Weekday, Saturday and Sunday schedules adjusted to improve service reliability

9 Vodden

• Minor schedule adjustments

15 Bramalea

• Weekday, Saturday and Sunday schedules adjusted to improve service reliability and connections with GO Train service at Bramalea GO Station

21 Heart Lake

• Weekday schedules adjusted to improve service reliability

23 Sandalwood

• Weekday, Saturday and Sunday schedules adjusted to improve service reliability

29 Williams

31 McVean

• Weekday schedules adjusted to improve service reliability

51 Steeles West

Fare Change

Effective March 26, 2012

- Tickets + Passes increasing. Cash, PRESTO and Student prices remain the same.

- Effective Jan 2013 - Tickets will no longer be sold; PRESTO + Cash will be mandatory.

Been looking through the wiki and wanted to clarify a small thing here.

Given that the ZUM contract will be for XDE60s with this year's 20, and options until 2017. Was this extended past the original deal that would've ended this or next year with XDE40s, which I'm also guessing there is 18 of those coming this year, too?

Then, from the local services...is the contract for the 3-year, 77-bus contract ending next year as according to the wiki or has that too been extended?

Fare Change

Effective March 26, 2012

- Tickets + Passes increasing. Cash, PRESTO and Student prices remain the same.

- Effective Jan 2013 - Tickets will no longer be sold; PRESTO + Cash will be mandatory.

What about weekly/monthly passes? Are they doing away with all the paper fare media? The preferential rates for PRESTO seem to indicate that. At least Brampton is starting to give notice about this significant change. Knowing Mississauga, they'd probably tell everyone less than a month before implementation.

You forgot to mention the PIC for this September's Service Changes. This year will be held at two locations:

City Hall Atrium

2 Wellington Street West

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

6-8PM

Brampton Civic Centre

150 Central Park Drive

Thursday, April 12, 2012

1-5PM

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if they'll run it in regular service as well. It'd be really funky seeing that looping around Springdale on the 22 all day... :P

Definately not. No farebox, radio, AVL, can't re-program the destination sign, etc, etc, etc.

Been looking through the wiki and wanted to clarify a small thing here.

Given that the ZUM contract will be for XDE60s with this year's 20, and options until 2017. Was this extended past the original deal that would've ended this or next year with XDE40s, which I'm also guessing there is 18 of those coming this year, too?

Then, from the local services...is the contract for the 3-year, 77-bus contract ending next year as according to the wiki or has that too been extended?

No you asked this a while back, but I went back to read the original press release about the 20 XDE60s.

"

Brampton Transit of Brampton, Ontario has converted further options of 58 EUs to firm

orders. Brampton will receive 18 additional 40’ Xcelsior buses as well as 20 buses (40

EUs) as the launch customer for the new 60’ articulated Xcelsior bus. Brampton was the

Company’s first customer to operate the new Xcelsior 40 model, and these follow-on

orders represent the fourth and fifth Xcelsior orders released by Brampton Transit.

"

The wording here makes me think that the 18 40' buses are from the 77 conventional bus order, as IIRC NFI counts 40 hybrids as 1.5 EUs, vs the 1 EU these 18 buses are each listed as. It would also make sense as the original Zum contract was for 50-60 buses, and the 20 XDE60s would bring the total to 61. And the contract extension for Zum only includes 60' buses (45 of them until 2017).

No you asked this a while back, but I went [/size]back to read the original press release about the 20 XDE60s.

"

Brampton Transit of Brampton, Ontario has converted further options of 58 EUs to firm

orders. Brampton will receive 18 additional 40’ Xcelsior buses as well as 20 buses (40

EUs) as the launch customer for the new 60’ articulated Xcelsior bus. Brampton was the

Company’s first customer to operate the new Xcelsior 40 model, and these follow-on

orders represent the fourth and fifth Xcelsior orders released by Brampton Transit.

"

The wording here makes me think that the 18 40' buses are from the 77 conventional bus order, as IIRC NFI counts 40 hybrids as 1.5 EUs, vs the 1 EU these 18 buses are each listed as. It would also make sense as the original Zum contract was for 50-60 buses, and the 20 XDE60s would bring the total to 61. And the contract extension for Zum only includes 60' buses (45 of them until 2017).

Hmm, ok. I had been under the impression that the 18 40's were the last of a 3-year contract for XDE40s. So, given that the original contract for ZUM was for 50 60 foot XDE60s, I guess the number of 50 was added on from the 45 from now until 2017. Is this a correct assumption?

It applies to those as well, but one thing I didn't try out is what I would be charged on the Zum bus if I use my PRESTO card in Square One: $2.50 (MiWay) or $2.65 (Brampton).

Did we ever get an answer to this question? With the recent fare increases the gap between MiWay and BT is now only 5 cents, but the question still remains: How much are you charged boarding a Züm bus in Mississauga?

Did we ever get an answer to this question? With the recent fare increases the gap between MiWay and BT is now only 5 cents, but the question still remains: How much are you charged boarding a Züm bus in Mississauga?

You get charged $2.65, regardless of where you get on.

Hmm, ok. I had been under the impression that the 18 40's were the last of a 3-year contract for XDE40s. So, given that the original contract for ZUM was for 50 60 foot XDE60s, I guess the number of 50 was added on from the 45 from now until 2017. Is this a correct assumption?

You don't quite have it :P . Here is the announcement of the original contract for 60 buses (not 60 foot buses, lol).

"Brampton Transit in Brampton, ON has ordered 20 40-foot diesel-electric hybrid buses with options for up to an additional 40 buses."

So the 20 XDE60s we're getting this year are part of that original contract (which actually brings the contract to 61 buses). The 45 new options (good till 2017) are an extension of that contract. So after this year, Brampton will still have all 45 of those new options left. And the 18 are from year 2 of the 77 bus contract.

The thing that surprises me the most about that announcement I just posted is that the original award was for 20 buses in 2010 (not the 25 that we ended up receiving). This tells me that Zum suffered (and still does) from massive overcrowding, but we were originally supposed to receive even LESS buses. Im glad we got those extra 5, lol.

This discussion is making me excited for when we get the first XDE60. Should be anytime now!!!! :D

Maybe a more simple way of understanding it instead of clumping Brampton Transit order with ZUM order is this:

ZUM Orders (XDE40 and XDE60):

60 Xcelsior hybrids originally ordered. 25 came in 2010, 16 came in 2011, 20 comes in 2012 (Artic hybrids).

Total becomes 61 after modification. This contract was awarded for 3 years.

45 more as option as part of this contract can be bought after 2012 up to 2017 if ZUM needs more buses which it will.

Brampton Transit Orders (XD40):

77 Xcelsior diesel originally ordered. 30 came in 2010-2011. 18 will come 2012. 29 will come in 2012.

Total should still be 77 if they haven't modified it. This contract was awarded for 3 years.

I doubt they wanted XD60s for this order?

Btw, someone should fix the info on the Brampton diesel Xcelsior order since the dates are mixed up there but I don't know the exact date of the contract.

I have been informed to pass on that the two Zum XDE40's will in fact replace the Zum Backups, and that delivieries of the 20 Zum XDE60's are expected towards the end of April. Somewhere in the range of 10 to 20 regular BT buses are also expected this year.