GTTA Subway Lines

vivablue5215

(This has been explained in Transit Toronto, but I wanna throw it here as well)

How would you situate your 'sci-fi' subway lines, if GTTA happens tomorrow?

Here's mine:

Yonge-University-Spadina (1 Line):

Bernard

Elgin Mills

Crosby

Major Mackenzie

Weldrick

16th-Carrville

Bantry-Scott

Richmond Hill Centre

Royal Orchard

Centre Street

Clark

Steeles

Finch

Regular routing until...

Downsview

Sheppard West

Finch West

York University

Steeles West

407 Transitway

Vaughan Corporate Centre

Langstaff

Vaughan Mills-Rutherford

Bloor-Danforth (2 Line):

Square One-Hurontario

Central Parkway

Cawthra

Tomken

Dixie

Cloverdale

Kipling

Regular routing until...

Kennedy

Lawrence East

Scarborough Centre

Sheppard-North Etobicoke (3 Line):

Pearson Terminal 2

Pearson Terminal 1

Pearson Terminal 3

Woodbine Centre

Martin Grove

Kipling

Islington

Albion

Weston

Jane

Keele

Allen

Bathurst

Senlac

Yonge

Regular routing until...

Don Mills

Consumers

Victoria Park

Pharmacy

Warden

Birchmount

Kennedy

Agincourt

Midland

Scarborough Centre

Markham

Neilson

Morningside

Toronto Zoo

Kingston

Rouge Hill

Highway 7 (4 Line)

Shoppers World

Bramalea City Centre

Torbram

Airport

Goreway

McVean

The Gore

Highway 27

Martin Grove

Regular routing until...

Vaughan Corporate Centre

Jane

Keele

Regular routing until...

McCowan

Main Street Markham

Wootten Way

Cornell

Queen (5 Line)

Port Credit-Hurontario

Cawthra

Dixie

Long Branch-Browns Line

Kipling

Islington

Royal York

Park Lawn

Humber

Parkside

Roncesvalles

Jameson

Dufferin

Ossington

Belwoods Park

Bathurst

Spadina

University

City Hall

Yonge

Moss Park-Sherbourne

Parliament

Broadview

Carlaw

Leslie

Greenwood

Coxwell

Dundas East

Woodbine

Victoria Park

Warden

Birchmount

Midland

Brimley

McCowan

Bellamy

Markham

Eglinton East

Guildwood

Lawrence East

Rouge Hill

Eglinton (6 Line)

Pearson Terminal 3

Pearson Terminal 1

Pearson Terminal 2

Skyway

Martin Grove

Kipling

Islington

Royal York

Scarlett

Jane

York City Centre

Keele

Caledonia

Dufferin

Oakwood

Allen

Bathurst

Avenue

Yonge

Mount Pleasant

Bayview

Laird

Leslie

Don Mills-Science Centre

Wynford

Victoria Park

Pharmacy

Warden

Birchmount

Kennedy

Midland

Brimley

McCowan

Bellamy

Markham-Kingston

Don Mills (7 Line)

Unionville

Markham Centre

14th Avenue

Denison

Steeles-Metro Square

McNicoll

Seneca College

Sheppard

Graydon Hall

York Mills

Lawrence

Eglinton-Science Centre

Overlea

O'Connor

Cosburn

Mortimer

Danforth

Gerrard

Queen

Hurontario (8 Line)

Shoppers World

Derry

Courtney Park

Britannia

Matheson

Bristol

Eglinton

Square One-Rathburn

Burhamthorpe

Central Parkway

Dundas

Queensway

Port Credit-Lakeshore

I'm just going to comment on the stops on your lines.

Line 1: If you are going to have a stop at Elgin Mills, you won't have one at Bernard since Bernard is only about 600 meters north of Elgin Mills. If they don't build stations that close in Toronto, they are surely not going to build them this close in York Region. I also think Weldrick is not happening for the same reason (only ~750 m north of 16th Ave). Same with Bantry/Scott. Likewise, if anything intertmediate is built between Clark and Richmond Hill Centre will have to choose one of Centre/Royal Orchard, but not both (only about 750 m between the two).

On the other side, what is the point of the stop at the 407? Ther e is northing there to draw any crowds.

Line 2: Are you following Burnhamthorpe from Square One to Dixie and then directly across to Cloverdale Mall? Similarly to above stations are too close for a subway. Will have to give up Tomken for sure and maybe Central Parkway as well.

Line 3: Where would your stations at Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington and Albion located? No need for a Pharmacy station its only ~400 meters from Victoria Park. For these two stations you could probably put the actual platform in the middle between the two streets with exits at either end of the platform, with one exiting on Vic Park and the other on Pharmacy. Similar idea with the Kennedy and Agincourt stations. What is the routing you are following after the Kennedy/Agincourt station?

Line 5: I think there is no need to have a Humber Station (which I assume would be at Humber Loop), it would be better to have the station in the South Kingsway/Windermere area. Also Parkside and Roncesvalles is only ~600 meters, so keep Roncesvalles station and get rid of Parkside. Get rid of Bellwoods Park as it is way too close to Ossington and Bathurst. Likewise for the City Hall stop, get rid of it it is way too close between Yonge and University. Make the stop for Sherbourne/Parliament into one similar to Vic Park/Pharmacy or get rid of one of them. I would keep Parliament as it is right in the middle between Yonge and Broadview. Also, one of Leslie or Greenwood would have to go (only about 400 meters between them). What is the routing followed by the line after Coxwell?

Line 6: Where would the Skyway station be located? Not sure if a station at Jane should be built as it would lie right in the middle of a park at least 500 meters away from the nearest residential area. Although, I guess it would be a major connection for the Jane bus. No need for a station at York City Centre as it is only ~250 meters west of Keele. Oakwood station is a luxury and is too close to Allen/Dufferin. I don't think a station at Leslie is needed - there is nothing there. Pharmacy/Vic Park same situation as described in my comments about the Sheppard Line.

Line 7: What is the routing of this line through Markham?

Line 8: Could you please explain the routing of this line? I.e. give both streets of the intersections for all the stops following Square One.

It seems it follows the same routing as VIVA Green north of Don Mills Station and the regular routing of 25 south of it. Steeles-Metro Square station seems to be a renamed Esna-Steeles Station.

Hurontario (8 Line)

Shoppers World

Derry

Courtney Park

Britannia

Matheson

Bristol

Eglinton

Square One-Rathburn

Burhamthorpe

Central Parkway

Dundas

Queensway

Port Credit

Graydon Hall

York Mills

Lawrence

Eglinton-Science Centre

Overlea

O'Connor

Cosburn

Mortimer

Danforth

Looks like there is a typo there after Port Credit Station. I think Graydon Hall to Danforth is part of the Don Mills Line?

The Don Mills line should be extended & integrated into the Queen line, that way the Downtown Relief line could built, and eliminate a transfer there, which would make it more useful.

Perhaps the Bloor/Danforth line could be extended further, up to Steeles via McCowan, and even as far as Highway 7 (Markville Mall)?

I'm just going to comment on the stops on your lines.

Line 1: If you are going to have a stop at Elgin Mills, you won't have one at Bernard since Bernard is only about 600 meters north of Elgin Mills. If they don't build stations that close in Toronto, they are surely not going to build them this close in York Region. I also think Weldrick is not happening for the same reason (only ~750 m north of 16th Ave). Same with Bantry/Scott. Likewise, if anything intertmediate is built between Clark and Richmond Hill Centre will have to choose one of Centre/Royal Orchard, but not both (only about 750 m between the two).

Clark is definitely necessary. I'll probably take out Weldrick and Elgin Mills. 90 can go up to Bernard, only waste 5 mins. I'll take out Bantry/Scott. I'll keep Royal Orchard, because it attracts more customers than Centre IMO.

On the other side, what is the point of the stop at the 407? Ther e is northing there to draw any crowds.

Ok eliminate that stop.

Line 2: Are you following Burnhamthorpe from Square One to Dixie and then directly across to Cloverdale Mall? Similarly to above stations are too close for a subway. Will have to give up Tomken for sure and maybe Central Parkway as well.

From Square One: Southeast to Hurontario/Burhamthorpe, cut through the Mississauga Valley Park to Central Pkwy/Bloor (Central Pkwy Station), continue on Bloor (Cawthra, Tomken, Dixie Stations, but I might take away Cawthra), before the Etobicoke Creek, line slopes down to Dundas, meeting at just before the 427 (Cloverdale Mall), then follow parallel the GO tracks to Kipling.

Line 3: Where would your stations at Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington and Albion located? No need for a Pharmacy station its only ~400 meters from Victoria Park. For these two stations you could probably put the actual platform in the middle between the two streets with exits at either end of the platform, with one exiting on Vic Park and the other on Pharmacy. Similar idea with the Kennedy and Agincourt stations. What is the routing you are following after the Kennedy/Agincourt station?

All stations between Woodbine Centre and Islington would be at Rexdale. After Islington, line would slope up, with a station at Albion/Elmhurst, then northeast thru the Humber River to Sheppard.

East of Agincourt, continue to Midland (I find it annoying that 190 has no stop at Midland), then slope down to Brimley/Progress, and into Scarborough Centre. Then, back up, meeting back Sheppard at Markham Road.

Line 5: I think there is no need to have a Humber Station (which I assume would be at Humber Loop), it would be better to have the station in the South Kingsway/Windermere area. Also Parkside and Roncesvalles is only ~600 meters, so keep Roncesvalles station and get rid of Parkside. Get rid of Bellwoods Park as it is way too close to Ossington and Bathurst. Likewise for the City Hall stop, get rid of it it is way too close between Yonge and University. Make the stop for Sherbourne/Parliament into one similar to Vic Park/Pharmacy or get rid of one of them. I would keep Parliament as it is right in the middle between Yonge and Broadview. Also, one of Leslie or Greenwood would have to go (only about 400 meters between them). What is the routing followed by the line after Coxwell?

Line follows Kingston Road after Coxwell. Serves the Beach and East Scarborough well.

Line 6: Where would the Skyway station be located? Not sure if a station at Jane should be built as it would lie right in the middle of a park at least 500 meters away from the nearest residential area. Although, I guess it would be a major connection for the Jane bus. No need for a station at York City Centre as it is only ~250 meters west of Keele. Oakwood station is a luxury and is too close to Allen/Dufferin. I don't think a station at Leslie is needed - there is nothing there. Pharmacy/Vic Park same situation as described in my comments about the Sheppard Line.

Skyway would be at Skyway and Galaxy loop.

(I might have minor issues with the length of the subway carts in this line)

Start at Unionville GO, west to serve the future Markham Centre, turn south at Warden, serve 14th and Denison, slope southwest, serve Metro Square at Steeles/Ferrier (or keep the Esna stop, haven't decided on that), continue southwest to McNicoll, Seneca College, and down Don Mills to Sheppard. And continue down Don Mills to O'Connor, and use Greenwood to meet Danforth. And maybe continue down Greenwood to Gerrard and Queen.

Line 8: Could you please explain the routing of this line? I.e. give both streets of the intersections for all the stops following Square One.

Whoops, typo past Port Credit. All stops at Hurontario. Post edited above.

Have to debate, RHC will no doubt become more popular than Royal Orchard, especially since RHC already has a terminal and GO station to boot. RHC also has the connection to the Highway 7 line, which Royal Orchard won't have.

Sorry, I meant Royal Orchard would be more popular than Centre Street

East of Agincourt, continue to Midland (I find it annoying that 190 has no stop at Midland), then slope down to Brimley/Progress, and into Scarborough Centre. Then, back up, meeting back Sheppard at Markham Road.

In that case get rid of Agincourt Station and have stations at Kennedy and Midland. It seems a bit wasteful to go southeast to Scarborough Town Centre (STC) and then to go back northeast to Sheppard/Markham. After STC I would continue going south east with stations at Centennial College, U of T Scarborough, Meadowvale/Kingston Rd, Port Union/Lawson and Rouge HIll.

Line follows Kingston Road after Coxwell. Serves the Beach and East Scarborough well.

So the Dundas East station is at Kingston Rd/Dundas E? Instead of stations at Markham/Kingston and Eglinton/Kingston I would put the station in the middle of the Kinston/Markham/Eglinton triangle. The transfer station would be head-to-head, that is the north end of the Kingston Rd line station would connect to the east end of the Eglinton line Station that way you could have an underground connection that could have exits at Markham/Eglinton, Kingston/Eglinton and Markham/Kingston as well as directly into Markington Square.

Skyway would be at Skyway and Galaxy loop.

I don't think there would be enough riders there to justify a stop. Maybe instead of this stop go directly southbound and have a stop at Renforth and Eglinton.

(I might have minor issues with the length of the subway carts in this line)

Start at Unionville GO, west to serve the future Markham Centre, turn south at Warden, serve 14th and Denison, slope southwest, serve Metro Square at Steeles/Ferrier (or keep the Esna stop, haven't decided on that), continue southwest to McNicoll, Seneca College, and down Don Mills to Sheppard. And continue down Don Mills to O'Connor, and use Greenwood to meet Danforth. And maybe continue down Greenwood to Gerrard and Queen.

I don't think a stop is necessary at Graydon Hall. I would continue following Don Mills bus after Overlea and have a stop in the Thorncliffe Park area. Then the line could continue via Greenwood or Pape. However, Cosburn and Mortimer are too close, have a stop at Mortimer (it is roughly half way between O'Connor and Danforth) and forget about Cosburn.

As far as the Queen line goes I would put in a stop in the Meadowvale/Lawrence area (or maybe at Centennial/Lawrence).

The map looks good, thanks for drawing out a visual.

The lines would be a lot farther apart in real life, just vivablue5215 ran out of room on his page.

Ah I see :P

But either line 6 or 3 should connect to 8 somewhere, it would be a pain getting to the airport from Shoppers World or anywhere along line 8.

I've been working on this map on and off since January and I thought I'd shere it now. This map is Toronto only subway system. Some of the routes on it I found on other maps I've seen and added a little to it. Also, some of the ideas I put on it I found out later that others have used it on there maps like the Dundas West to YCC portion of the D-Q-W Line and the Sheppard line going to the Toronto Zoo. Here's a list of where some of the stations that don't have a specific street name are located:

Eglinton Line

York City Centre - Black Creek/Eglinton Ave. W

Sheppard Line

Belfield - Martin Grove/Belfield

Rexdale - Kipling/Rexdale

The Elms - Islington/Elmhurst, a bit north of Rexdale, near The Elms Park

Don Mills-Queen-Weston Line

Graydon - York Mills/Don Mills

Donway - Lawrence/Don Mills

Overlea - Don Mills/Overlea

Leslieville - Pape/Queen

Riverside - Broadview/Queen

Jarvis - Jarvis in between King and Front

John - John/King

Alexandra Park- Queen St. in between Portland and Augusta

Trinity-Bellwoods - Queen/Strachan

Roncesvalles - Roncesvalles/Garden

Old Weston - either at St. Clair in between Keele and Old Weston or in between St. Clair and Old Weston on the ?CN Weston Sub? (I'm not fermiliar with the Railway System in Toronto) closer to Old Weston/Davenport with an underground walkway connection to St. Clair.

Anyway's here the map:

future_ttc_subway_map.JPG

I posted this in another thread eariler, but here is my version of what the subway system in the Tornto area should look like again. :P (Again, the proposed GO Rail lines on the map are part of the scope of another idea I had, so you can ignore most of them)

http://www.etspe.ca/cptdb/index.php?act=At...=post&id=66 (PDF FILE!)

Beyond this I think LRT, Monorails, BRT lines etc. or such would be adequate to fill in any connections between lines, or even act as the main lines outside the scope of the map.

Here's one to scale, bit in a bad quality:

scan0001.jpg

Express Stations on 1 Express (from RH to Downtown):

Bernard

Major Mack

16th

Richmond Hill Centre

Clark

Steeles

Finch

Sheppard

York Mills

Eglinton

St. Clair

Bloor

College

Dundas

Queen

King

Union

Proposal I might consider: Extend the 6 Line west along Derry Road, ending at Hurontario.

wow, everyone has great maps of their ideas! Unfortunately, there can only be one that becomes reality.

Greater Golden Horseshoe Transit, would your Orange/Red and Yellow/Blue lines be interlined?

Yes, they would be interlined.

Yellow/Blue like the YUS Line today and Orange/Red forming a two-way loop.

The Airport RT could be a Extension of the Current LINK Train that goes Around the Airport

Unfortuneately the technology used for the link severely limits its expansion. Practically speaking, only two trains can run at a time as each train is pulled by its own cable. In addition, expansions in the system will need a new motor station to be built, longer cables etc. IMO the Airport should have gone with a full-fledged Monorail system to begin with, it would make expanding the system much easier.