Metro Transit

SMS

Metropolitan Council RFP 12P227 for a base order of 184 40' transit buses with options for 221 additional has been issued.

Details:

• Base order is for 114 diesel and 60 hybrid diesel-electric for Metro Transit, and 10 diesel for MTS.
  • Options are for 176 diesel and 45 hybrid diesel-electric, options may be used by the Council for Metro Transit, MTS, or other regional providers, or assigned, sold, or transferred.
  • Bids are due March 1st at this time, with an expected award date of June, pilot bus due in January 2014, and first order delivered by August 2014.
  • Document holders so far include transit vehicle manufacturers New Flyer, Gillig, Nova Bus, NABI, and Designline. Other interested parties are American Seating, and Mobile Climate Control.

To view the RFP if interested, click the link in the PDF, put in 2409990 for the ebiddoc number, and click 'view plans' in the grey bar under the Met Council banner.

Looks like Metro Transit and MTS are not jumping on the CNG bandwagon.

I doubt any TAs in the TCM will be switching to CNG for a while. Unfortunately the testing of CNG was done at a bad time and, IMO, with bad units, so it didn't have much of a chance to catch on. In 5-10 years though that could change. The Twin Cities are not entirely CNG free though. Randy's Sanitation, Lakeville Sanitation, and Waste Management of Blaine have all added CNG fueling stations and replaced part of their fleets with new CNG trucks. So I'd say interest is growing.

I doubt any TAs in the TCM will be switching to CNG for a while. Unfortunately the testing of CNG was done at a bad time and, IMO, with bad units, so it didn't have much of a chance to catch on. In 5-10 years though that could change. The Twin Cities are not entirely CNG free though. Randy's Sanitation, Lakeville Sanitation, and Waste Management of Blaine have all added CNG fueling stations and replaced part of their fleets with new CNG trucks. So I'd say interest is growing.

You can add Ace Solid Waste to that list

• 3 weeks later...

I will be in the Twin Cities next month. I am wondering if the Nova LFX are out running now for the MVTA BRT. I would like to see and ride those when I am there.

Unfortunately METRO Red is not expected to begin service until May/June. In the meantime the LFX will be outfitted with fare collection equipment, next stop announcement hardware, TSP signaling, and I think they're adding the DAS as well. I did read in an article that the buses may be seen occasionally traveling along Cedar Avenue for training and testing starting this month. So there might be a chance to see one if you're here during the week.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, the bid for 40' units was closed on time. So I hope to see them announce the winner in June as scheduled. I have no basis for this prediction, but I have a hunch NFI will win.

I rode Gillig LF/BRT 1111 yesterday, and noticed what may have been the reason for a change in flooring type on the new contract. There were cracks and wrinkles in the floor near the back. Surprise surprise, the cheap stuff doesn't hold up as well. It'll be interesting to see if they end up reflooring the 1100s and 7100s. The 1200-1400 and 7200-7300 series seem to have a higher quality floor installed.

As far as I can tell, the bid for 40' units was closed on time. So I hope to see them announce the winner in June as scheduled. I have no basis for this prediction, but I have a hunch NFI will win.

How many buses does Metro Transit want to buy? Hybrids?

• 3 weeks later...

How many buses does Metro Transit want to buy? Hybrids?

It's noted earlier in the thread :)

----

I finally caught one of the new S-70!

8659461070_f9a671d081_t.jpg 8658357139_d00c4ea518_t.jpg

I also saw one of the Xcelsiors in the DT Minneapolis area, either on the Mall or Hennepin, couldn't tell which. At any rate they seem to be running regularly.

5: Major Metro Transit Investigation Underway

Metro Transit Is Hiring Bus Drivers

-- WCCO note on this

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

It's time for the annual State Fair bus update! Hot as heck this year and short on time for fanning so no ride videos were taken this year, just photos:

A couple notable Metro Transit shots:

9620789264_20c30d723d_t.jpg 9617554943_3255f3c8d9_t.jpg

Mostly Gillig LF/BRT and D60LFR now on the fair shuttles, with a few D60 and Phantoms making an appearance. Along with 677 a couple other 600 series and a few 700 series units were seen, all will likely be sent to auction or possibly transferred to MTS afer the fair is over.

Lorenz and the free shuttle network:

9620584072_f40e8e8346_t.jpg 9617347437_39efbddae7_t.jpg 9620588012_38459b13e4_t.jpg

I did see 1500 and 6008 were still in service, otherwise all the Lorenz transit units seem to be the former Metro Transit 300, 400, 500, and 2300 series Phantoms. There was also a 1202, I am not sure which former MCT unti number it was.

Here they go again Gilligs!

Looks like Metro Transit favored the Gilligs for their 40 footer fleet just like the last order and they ordered a mixture of diesel and hybrids buses. I wonder if they are likely BRT based on recent order since 2008 all of them have BRT front.

Its a pity there is no explanation on why they preferred Gillig. I'm always surprised that Metro Transit does not favor the in-state company, New Flyer. Maybe they don't get any funding from state politicians.

It's time for the annual State Fair bus update! Hot as heck this year and short on time for fanning so no ride videos were taken this year, just photos:

Mostly Gillig LF/BRT and D60LFR now on the fair shuttles, with a few D60 and Phantoms making an appearance. Along with 677 a couple other 600 series and a few 700 series units were seen, all will likely be sent to auction or possibly transferred to MTS afer the fair is over.

9620584072_f40e8e8346_t.jpg 9617347437_39efbddae7_t.jpg 9620588012_38459b13e4_t.jpg

I did see 1500 and 6008 were still in service, otherwise all the Lorenz transit units seem to be the former Metro Transit 300, 400, 500, and 2300 series Phantoms. There was also a 1202, I am not sure which former MCT unti number it was.

As always, great pictures of the transportation around Minnesota Fair including Metro Transit, and Lorenz Bus Service on Free Shuttles as well as other private operators providing shuttles too.

By the way, what kind of events does Minnesota features annually at the fair?

Its a pity there is no explanation on why they preferred Gillig. I'm always surprised that Metro Transit does not favor the in-state company, New Flyer. Maybe they don't get any funding from state politicians.

Gillig LF's are made out of aluminum. Xcelsiors, if I'm not mistaken, are still carbon steel, although stainless steel is available at a significant cost. Carbon steel does NOT handle Minnesota winters very well. Stainless steel does, however there's something like a 20% cost premium.

The Gillig webpage says the LF has a stainless steel chassis and adds a patented aluminum body. So thanks, thats a difference and a clue.

But are Minnesota winters any different than Winnipeg winters? Now I'm curious how Winnipeg Transit buses hold up against rust. Presumably all of their New Flyers are carbon steel.

Im pretty sure they use Federal funding, which means they put the contract out to bids, so it ends up lowest compliant bidder.

MAX BRT, on 29 August 2013 - 07:46 AM, said:

You can go to Transportation Committee Meeting date: June 10, 2013 (2013-137:-Authorization to Execute Contract No. 12P277, Procurement of 184 40-ft Transit Buses) explains why they choose Gillig. It came down to money, like about two million dollars difference.

• 2 months later...

I recently saw one of the XDE40 on the Nicollet Mall, so I guess thay are still running in regular service.

METRO Blue line is now largely S70 trainsets during the off peak period, woohoo! I assume the Flexity-Swifts are getting rebuilt. METRO Green is slated to open summer 2014. IIRC it's supposed to be running by July.

• 1 month later...