Quebec and Ontario Plates

Matt Demers

I actually collect license plates! Off eBay. Although I'm not a pro... there are a lot of fan sites... and some of the bus fans here even like to note the bus license plates of local buses. I know I'd sure like to own a bus license plate one day.

I actually collect license plates! Off eBay. Although I'm not a pro... there are a lot of fan sites... and some of the bus fans here even like to note the bus license plates of local buses. I know I'd sure like to own a bus license plate one day.

Then why not go ask someone at the local bus scrapyard if they'll give you one?

Failing that, I guess you could always...well, never mind. :P

"Pro"? You mean there's such an animal as a "professional license plate collector". :)

Yeah... I've been lazy though.

One day I'll get it! :)

What I need to do is increase my European plates... I only have one... a German one. I should start by having one from all provinces.

Yeah... I've been lazy though.

One day I'll get it! :P

What I need to do is increase my European plates... I only have one... a German one. I should start by having one from all provinces.

Plates can be found almost anywhere. During my travels, I've seen them on barber shop walls, in restaurants, service stations (naturally), at land fills, lying in the gutter, and at flea markets (the best place of all!), etc.

Some govt's have strict "return policies" regarding plates, which means that their owners must return them to their respective license bureaux before receiving new ones, due to the potential of any "loose" plates ending up being used for illegal purposes. Even some car graveyards are required to return plates back to the gov't.

Thus, you can walk into flea markets today and find boxes full of some plates while you could look high and low for others. Individual issuers even change their rules over the years.

For example, you might be rummaging through a box at a flea market and stumble on a certain locality's plate--say "ABC 123"--which presumably means its issuing license bureau has already deleted it from their computer registry and is therefore unconcerned about it floating around who knows where. But who can possibly control exactly where this plate may eventually end up, particularly where a given plate may not have a specific year stamped on it. Obviously, situations will vary.

The way the world is these days with "identity theft" becoming more prevalent, it might therefore be a good idea to complete your collection before stricter and more universally-followed rules prevail.

Happy hunting! :)

• 1 year later...
Just like why I say one of V and Y should not be used, because they look waaaaaaay too similar.

I know, my plates start 'AY' & i know someone who has 'AV' they look way too similar, maybe a different die for the letter V can fix that

The phone company here has a few vehicles in its fleet with ADSL ### plates.

While it might not seem like it, Ontario's plate serials are actually doled out by region. Any plate with ADSL is from Thunder Bay.

I know there are quite a few WTF plates in Gatineau, one of them is even on a Smart :). You see them almost daily. I've also seen 'AAA 111' a few times.

and the FFF#### plates in Quebec are commercial plates.

Now we're in the BFxx series. I've seen some BFEx xxx plates.

I prefer my AY series plates over any new B series plates

I have a set of alberta plates circa the mid 80s, the numbering/lettering says '77-C308' Can anyone tell me if these would be issued for? They are on the 84-current base

They're probably a little further ahead in some areas than in others. Like I said, its regional. It also depends on how often you look at them. I've been keeping track since they were in the AJXX series though I haven't been looking lately.

I believe those are commercial plates.
Quite likely. I've seen a number of the larger fleet plate users have similar patterns.

Could you also tell if they were commerical plates by the number printed on the bottom of the sticker? Also, do commerical plates have more than two stickers on them?

Now we're in the BFxx series. I've seen some BFEx xxx plates.

Our newest 2009 Altima came with a BFHX plate while some of our 2009 Galants were plated BFFC just a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if we have several BFXX plated cars like we do BEXX plates since GM hasn't sent us many cars since they temporarily shut down production.