TTC Fleet Procurement Strategy and Plan

1 hour ago, 2044 said:

Fleet Procurement Strategy and Plan

Highlights include:

- 13 new streetcars from Bombardier 

- more hybrid buses

- new fleet for Bloor-Danforth line

- new technologies for bus fleet

13 additional streetcars at a cost of $10.8 million dollars roughly per unit at a total cost of $140 million versus $5.9 million with the volume discount in the original 204 order at $1.2 billion. Noting the volume discount on additional vehicles was only available up until the 60th vehicle was delivered. 

If they buy 60 new streetcars, it would cost roughly $500 million dollars or just over $8.33 million a unit. 

I think it is about time that the Bloor-Danforth received the same rolling stock as Yonge-University and Sheppard. 62 of the 80 train sets allocated to Bloor-Danforth and the 18 expansion Yonge-University. The total price tag of $2.24 billion dollars at the time the proposal was generated. With $624 million of that future order funded. Buses coming at second with 1,422 at approximately $1.86 billion.

Final comments:

I know this covers the next decade. Even with COVID-19 decimating ridership, it will be a hard sell on justifying new equipment purchases with the amount of funding required to make such purchases. Trying to prepare when ridership levels regain to pre-pandemic levels. 

39 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

Is there a financial advantage to getting the other 47 streetcars as an option on a contract instead of just buying 60 outright?

If I read it correctly, the City has secured funding for the 13 streetcars, but not the remaining 47.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2044 said:

If I read it correctly, the City has secured funding for the 13 streetcars, but not the remaining 47.

Exactly. Sooner they restart the production, and place options, the less risk that will not be be possible if they find more money later.

Of course it would have been cheaper and better to have done this 3-4 years ago. But it's surely cheaper now, than in another 3-4 years.

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Young said:

I wonder who would win the bid for the artics or the 40ft

I guess was/still is too early when that strategy report was prepared with the electric bus trial still underway to start ordering electric buses in quantity.  I'm curious to see when procurement changes to straight electrics instead of hybrids.

As for the baker's dozen streetcars significantly later at higher prices, I guess there's a strategy there although I'm not entirely sure what it is.  The BS artist politicians can no doubt find a way to spin it.

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

As for the baker's dozen streetcars significantly later at higher prices, I guess there's a strategy there although I'm not entirely sure what it is.  The BS artist politicians can no doubt find a way to spin it.

They want 60 more, but city funding is for first 13, and the lower-priced option of 47 vehicles come out of the provincial/federal funding. So they can set up the contract now, and take up the options if and when further funding appears.