Translink electrification by 2050

tbodnar2003

It seems similar to current prices. The mistake I made related to the budget. The funding request for the project included about $300,000 per BEB. But that is the extra cost over and above the existing planned spending on diesel hybrids. But the actual price tag would be roughly $1m for a standard 12m BEB.

8 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Well, if you go easy on the brakes, not necessarily...

:P 

On a diesel, with a broken compressor or frozen air lines,  easy peasy.  Trolley running on the EPU, fun times with the braking, total dogs with the brake application ?

I don't understand why they didn't/don't install small modern lithium ion batteries for the EPU on the trolleys. Nothing big at their mid-life point, but something that could guarantee a few km off-wire range and enough air for the braking system while of- wire. As little as 10kWh capacity would probably be enough, wouldn't weigh too much and wouldn't cost too much. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, martin607 said:

I don't understand why they didn't/don't install small modern lithium ion batteries for the EPU on the trolleys. Nothing big at their mid-life point, but something that could guarantee a few km off-wire range and enough air for the braking system while of- wire. As little as 10kWh capacity would probably be enough, wouldn't weigh too much and wouldn't cost too much. 

We all know Translink is good at wasting money. But when it comes to something that would be useful they don't want to spend the money!

Does anyone know when the BAE hybrids are expected to be upgraded to full battery-electric, how much it will cost, and whether the budgeting for that is already being planned for? Obviously it won't happen until there are TCs capable of supporting them, so it would presumably happen after the proposed upgrades mentioned here. Perhaps around the mid-life rebuild?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

Does anyone know when the BAE hybrids are expected to be upgraded to full battery-electric, how much it will cost, and whether the budgeting for that is already being planned for? Obviously it won't happen until there are TCs capable of supporting them, so it would presumably happen after the proposed upgrades mentioned here. Perhaps around the mid-life rebuild?

AFAIK it’s not so much that there are concrete plans to do so, as that TransLink presumed (read: guessed) when defining the spec for the RFPs that a series-hybrid coach would be significantly easier to retrofit for full-electric operation than a parallel-hybrid coach. I guess we’ll find out in about six or seven years…

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

AFAIK it’s not so much that there are concrete plans to do so, as that TransLink presumed (read: guessed) when defining the spec for the RFPs that a series-hybrid coach would be significantly easier to retrofit for full-electric operation than a parallel-hybrid coach. I guess we’ll find out in about six or seven years…

Some while back I read similar comments from San Francisco Muni management that they would be able to convert their series hybrid to full battery electric at a later stage.

Just now, Millennium2002 said:

This is partly off topic, but I would love to see all the buses older than 2012 (when air conditioning was introduced fleet-wide) to be put out to pasture as expeditiously as possible.

I mean other than from a TL financial point of view that would be excellent lol especially since we've almost lost all the good old ones anyway - the D40LFs and the Orions

12 hours ago, martin607 said:

Some while back I read similar comments from San Francisco Muni management that they would be able to convert their series hybrid to full battery electric at a later stage.

Similar reasoning was used to justify the purchase of buses equipped with BAE hybrid propulsion systems... The rationale being that, because the axles are purely driven by electric motors, the mechanical work involved is simpler.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:59 PM, martin607 said:

I agree, make a start, which will be to equip the new Marpole TC as an all-electric garage, take it from there and see how things develop.

Even I accept that, but as things develop, I would like to see a selective use of battery-trolleybuses too. Just a small proportion of the whole but there could be some sensible opportunities.

im not too sure if TL wants to replace the E40LFR/E60LFR's with XT40/XT60's, but an all electric garage would be a feat. we would probably be have the largest electric fleet in Canada and the USA once we have the buses up and running out of MTC (Marpole TC) 

Also could someone add this info to the CMBC wiki page?

• Like 1

TL has expressed interest in replacing the E40/60LFRs I believe. And honestly, they could use a replacement. The XT40/60 is probably the best option for TL, so my guess is that they'll order it at some point. However, they also seem interested in a dual-mode trolley/battery bus so we could see that as well, in whatever form it ends up being.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2020 at 6:43 PM, Peterbiltguy1989@gmail.com said:

2050 is 30 years from now. Plenty of time to come up with a battery bus that can run all day on a single charge without too many issues

I highly doubt so cos I think we have already hitting the limits of chemistry...

although, if TL really wants, they can always choose a more powerful engine and carry a significantly larger and heavier battery rack :( 

2 minutes ago, tensorflow said:

I highly doubt so cos I think we have already hitting the limits of chemistry...

although, if TL really wants, they can always choose a more powerful engine and carry a significantly larger and heavier battery rack :( 

We're hitting the limits of the chemistry we've developed so far - there's still more we can do.

And at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with a heavier battery pack - the bus will need to cost a bit more but overall I bet it'd be worth it with the additional range.

17 minutes ago, Zortan said:

We're hitting the limits of the chemistry we've developed so far - there's still more we can do.

And at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with a heavier battery pack - the bus will need to cost a bit more but overall I bet it'd be worth it with the additional range.

Or we could just, you know, put in-motion charging infrastructure along some of the busier bus routes... ?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1