Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

Yes, every so often I'd see him on the 6.

He used to do it on HSR buses, but was kicked off by many drivers, he was well known out there, since there is a large amount of "bus groupies" in hamilton, most are mentally challanged, but some are just "normal" weird people that just like the uniform, and there are assorted driver nicknames for them, that cant be posted here...

As far as Presto's concerned,

November 30th will be the first phase of the launch in Burlington. I wasn't sure about Oakville's status at that time, on November 30th, only adult Presto cards will be available, with a few buses having the system installed. I wasn't quite clear whether the entire fleet was going to have the systems installed by then, but I think it'd make sense to do that, with the first phase for adult cards. Personally, introducing it one phasse at a time (May 10 of 2010 would be the official launch), student, child and seniior cards will be available and hopefully that'd also include the entire BT fleet of 52 buses (that's what the manager of Transit & Traffic said [it's 53]. Seeing as this will be happening in phases, I believe that this will overall will determine if one of the phases has bugs in it, before the overall implementation so that the next phase would have to be delayed as the first one would first get worked out.

Additionally, seeing as Oakville and Burlington are part of PHase 2, the transfer is for 90 minutes for Burlington compared to 2 hours in Oakville. The driver will have the ability to add on the amount of time when transferring between a Burlington and Oakville bus. The card would be smart enough to recognize a transfer, meaning that once it is tapped at the transferred bus, there wouldn't be a balance taken off from it. It'll recognize that it came from another bus. It'll also recognize ridership stats, which route the passenger had transferred from. Wow, that's very smart of this Presto card.

Like a Tim card used at Tim Horton's, there'll be automatic reload features and everything else that I think many of you already know about.

I asked about how this card would effect the visually impaired community. The staff @ Presto have been in constant contact with CNIB offices as well as Paratransit and Handi-Van operators. At this time, the pollicy for travelling free with a CNIB card will still continue. However, it'll also help for me to obtain a Presto card, as it'll track my transit movements, calculate statstics and overall ridership from a very important transit demographic. Very impressive.

In other news, Burlington Transit will be receiving the first of the 10 consortium-based D40LF's mid to late next week. I guess general682002 was right in saying that the 9xx's in York Region are the consortium buses. Currently, it's 10 replacements, no expansions.

The Transit Department in in the middle of plenty of exciting initatives and new services and projects.

Within the budget as it'll have to be submitted by the end of this month for March of next year, possible approvals of the 407 Alton Terminal, relocation of the Downtown Bus Terminal from its current on-street location; Transit Priority Systems, Dundas BRT and what options would be availble (like having a BT route going to Uptown Core :lol:) More buses for 2010 (not sure of exact numbers or even if it'll come from consortium, either), looking at enhancing route coverage with possibly more new routes (will be brought more to the forefront in next month's meeting).

Overall, I feel that BT has plenty of potential. What I am afraid of is whether or not city council would want to give BT the funds and proper strategies to fulfill their plans. I can already tell that once the new supervisor was hired way back last October, I can tell that things are definitely looking up.

May 10th of 2010 will be the official launch, as I've just stated. It will also include all 3 GO stations in Burlington. By this time, we're hoping ot have the rest of the stations along the entire Lakeshore West line to have the Presto readers installed. The thign with GO is that in order to properly calculate the fares (seeing as GO uses Zones to determine prices), passengers would be required to tap the card on the machine once to start their ride and again when they disembark the train. I am sure that there'll be plenty of missed taps. But, there'll be plenty of machines set up by then. It'll be a new way of thinking and conditioning for GO commuters.

As far as Presto's concerned,

November 30th will be the first phase of the launch in Burlington. I wasn't sure about Oakville's status at that time, on November 30th, only adult Presto cards will be available, with a few buses having the system installed. I wasn't quite clear whether the entire fleet was going to have the systems installed by then, but I think it'd make sense to do that, with the first phase for adult cards. Personally, introducing it one phasse at a time (May 10 of 2010 would be the official launch), student, child and seniior cards will be available and hopefully that'd also include the entire BT fleet of 52 buses (that's what the manager of Transit & Traffic said [it's 53]. Seeing as this will be happening in phases, I believe that this will overall will determine if one of the phases has bugs in it, before the overall implementation so that the next phase would have to be delayed as the first one would first get worked out.

Additionally, seeing as Oakville and Burlington are part of PHase 2, the transfer is for 90 minutes for Burlington compared to 2 hours in Oakville. The driver will have the ability to add on the amount of time when transferring between a Burlington and Oakville bus. The card would be smart enough to recognize a transfer, meaning that once it is tapped at the transferred bus, there wouldn't be a balance taken off from it. It'll recognize that it came from another bus. It'll also recognize ridership stats, which route the passenger had transferred from. Wow, that's very smart of this Presto card.

Like a Tim card used at Tim Horton's, there'll be automatic reload features and everything else that I think many of you already know about.

I asked about how this card would effect the visually impaired community. The staff @ Presto have been in constant contact with CNIB offices as well as Paratransit and Handi-Van operators. At this time, the pollicy for travelling free with a CNIB card will still continue. However, it'll also help for me to obtain a Presto card, as it'll track my transit movements, calculate statstics and overall ridership from a very important transit demographic. Very impressive.

In other news, Burlington Transit will be receiving the first of the 10 consortium-based D40LF's mid to late next week. I guess general682002 was right in saying that the 9xx's in York Region are the consortium buses. Currently, it's 10 replacements, no expansions.

The Transit Department in in the middle of plenty of exciting initatives and new services and projects.

Within the budget as it'll have to be submitted by the end of this month for March of next year, possible approvals of the 407 Alton Terminal, relocation of the Downtown Bus Terminal from its current on-street location; Transit Priority Systems, Dundas BRT and what options would be availble (like having a BT route going to Uptown Core -_-) More buses for 2010 (not sure of exact numbers or even if it'll come from consortium, either), looking at enhancing route coverage with possibly more new routes (will be brought more to the forefront in next month's meeting).

Overall, I feel that BT has plenty of potential. What I am afraid of is whether or not city council would want to give BT the funds and proper strategies to fulfill their plans. I can already tell that once the new supervisor was hired way back last October, I can tell that things are definitely looking up.

May 10th of 2010 will be the official launch, as I've just stated. It will also include all 3 GO stations in Burlington. By this time, we're hoping ot have the rest of the stations along the entire Lakeshore West line to have the Presto readers installed. The thign with GO is that in order to properly calculate the fares (seeing as GO uses Zones to determine prices), passengers would be required to tap the card on the machine once to start their ride and again when they disembark the train. I am sure that there'll be plenty of missed taps. But, there'll be plenty of machines set up by then. It'll be a new way of thinking and conditioning for GO commuters.

Wow, thanks for all that information. Impressive post.

For Presto, with readers being installed at the Burlington GO Stations will the cards be available for sale there? Though HSR isn't going to start until Fall 2010 I still want to get my card early. :blink: Also did they mention anything about the look of the cards? Will there be any custom cards of will they all have a uniform look? By custom I mean could there be one that has the BT logo on it, Oakville Transit themed one, HSR style card with the Presto logo? Similar to the way you can get a custom credit card or gift cards to various businesses that have stylized looks.

Is there anything online about the proposed services and projects for Burlington Transit? If the downtown bus terminal is relocated this would certainly impact HSR Route 11 Parkdale which currently connects there.

BT confuses me. I have heard conflicting opinions on the fate of the Refurbs and 7047-82. I heard from a couple of drivers that the Fishbowl has been or will be parked. Others have said that it will be rebuilt and will live on for another year. Come on, BT give me a straight answer, PLEASE. What is the official word on the fate of 7047?

Wow, thanks for all that information. Impressive post.

For Presto, with readers being installed at the Burlington GO Stations will the cards be available for sale there? Though HSR isn't going to start until Fall 2010 I still want to get my card early. :P Also did they mention anything about the look of the cards? Will there be any custom cards of will they all have a uniform look? By custom I mean could there be one that has the BT logo on it, Oakville Transit themed one, HSR style card with the Presto logo? Similar to the way you can get a custom credit card or gift cards to various businesses that have stylized looks.

Is there anything online about the proposed services and projects for Burlington Transit? If the downtown bus terminal is relocated this would certainly impact HSR Route 11 Parkdale which currently connects there.

JN,

You bring up a very interesting prospect in regarding which systems and their Presto Cards, using their own logos on them to clearly indentify them.

Referring to the projects. Part of all of this is dependant on re-development of the website for Burlington Transit. That's been a very hard thing to do as long as the city hasn't allocated enough funds for it. This year they have. Problem is, nothing's happened with it as of yet. I'd be wondering too in case if details about those projects could be available on the website.

JN,

You bring up a very interesting prospect in regarding which systems and their Presto Cards, using their own logos on them to clearly indentify them.

Referring to the projects. Part of all of this is dependant on re-development of the website for Burlington Transit. That's been a very hard thing to do as long as the city hasn't allocated enough funds for it. This year they have. Problem is, nothing's happened with it as of yet. I'd be wondering too in case if details about those projects could be available on the website.

From what I've seen, the presto cards are going to look the same all across the board. Once presto is fully launched, you can use your card on any transit system so it wouldn't make much sense to put individual agencies logos on them.

The only questions and concerns are about discounted fares. What if you go to school and get transportation subsidized? Are they going to give the students presto cards or continue with normal passes. (Sorry I'm refering to the HSR here, but since the presto discussion is going on here may as well ask.)

BT confuses me. I have heard conflicting opinions on the fate of the Refurbs and 7047-82. I heard from a couple of drivers that the Fishbowl has been or will be parked. Others have said that it will be rebuilt and will live on for another year. Come on, BT give me a straight answer, PLEASE. What is the official word on the fate of 7047?

I don't know what the plans with 7047 are right now but I can tell you that it has been parked in the same spot beside maintenence and hasn't moved for the last 3 weeks. Right now it appears to be retired.

The only questions and concerns are about discounted fares. What if you go to school and get transportation subsidized? Are they going to give the students presto cards or continue with normal passes. (Sorry I'm refering to the HSR here, but since the presto discussion is going on here may as well ask.)

That is a good question, I have no idea how that will work.

From what I've seen, the presto cards are going to look the same all across the board. Once presto is fully launched, you can use your card on any transit system so it wouldn't make much sense to put individual agencies logos on them.

The idea of individual agency logos on them is more from the aspect of having a 'personalized' or 'collectible' card to spiff things up somewhat, just like you can go to a store and have a dozen options of gift card designs. Perhaps something that can be looked at after getting through the launch, but I think it would be neat.

I hope that the BT website gets it's upgrade soon. It would be nice if it had more of a distinct look from the rest of the city website so that it stood alone. Maybe even it's own top level domain.

BurlingtonTransit.com

BurlingtonTransit.ca

BTOnline.ca

Something along those lines.

The idea of individual agency logos on them is more from the aspect of having a 'personalized' or 'collectible' card to spiff things up somewhat, just like you can go to a store and have a dozen options of gift card designs. Perhaps something that can be looked at after getting through the launch, but I think it would be neat.

I hope that the BT website gets it's upgrade soon. It would be nice if it had more of a distinct look from the rest of the city website so that it stood alone. Maybe even it's own top level domain.

BurlingtonTransit.com

BurlingtonTransit.ca

BTOnline.ca

Or

Flaming7024.ca :P

BurlingtonTransit.com

BurlingtonTransit.ca

BTOnline.ca

Before you can think of your wish list, tell that to the City of Burlington as they run part of the budget show!

No new buses yet. Apparently they are suppost to start arriving this week or next.

Update:

7001-09 has arrived today. It is decalled all ready. Some new features include the rear destination sign (finally), LED interior lights and the rear left and side sign passenger windows are sliding windows (the same as DRT and YRT). They also have the adjustible foot pedals for the driver.

As a sidenote, 7047 is off with engine problems, it may be retired. Also, get your shots of the classics, particularally the ex Utah's as their days are officially numbered now.

So there is a chance of seeing it in service on Monday? Also, what will the other buses be numbered? Presumably 7046, 7048-7053, or perhaps 7001, 7010, 7014, 7015, 7016, 7042, 7046, 7048, 7049, 7050.

Also, I heard 7047 was in "The Graveyard", which is getting smaller due to Construction. Learned that from a certain driver on Route 12.

More like the fleets would be:

7001, 7010, 7014, 7015, 7016, 7026, 7042, 7046, 7048 and 7049.

Such a seemingly random set of numbers. :) Do you think they'll all be put into active service at the same time or be staggered? Does anyone know what is seeing their end of days? 7047-82 I imagine, even though I still haven't had the chance to photograph it.

Such a seemingly random set of numbers. :lol: Do you think they'll all be put into active service at the same time or be staggered? Does anyone know what is seeing their end of days? 7047-82 I imagine, even though I still haven't had the chance to photograph it.

It seems like Burlington is reusing the old numbers which is rather strange. I guess there taking notes from London Transit.

So there is a chance of seeing it in service on Monday? Also, what will the other buses be numbered? Presumably 7046, 7048-7053, or perhaps 7001, 7010, 7014, 7015, 7016, 7042, 7046, 7048, 7049, 7050.

Also, I heard 7047 was in "The Graveyard", which is getting smaller due to Construction. Learned that from a certain driver on Route 12.

Ya, right! It may be decalled but it's still awaiting plates, farebox and radio installation. It probably wont be in service for another few weeks.

It seems like Burlington is reusing the old numbers which is rather strange. I guess there taking notes from London Transit.

I think the numbers of 7050-53, 7056-60, 7064 and 7070-7076 has something to do with them not wanting them to be sued or something. I have no clue.

Yet, previous buses were up to 7049. But, when the original Classics and V's were purchased, 7054, 7055 and then, 7061-7063 were taken....7065-7069 were used. And the biggest jump was 7077-7080. Huge gaps. I'd like the big gaps to be filled somehow.

Such a seemingly random set of numbers. :lol: Do you think they'll all be put into active service at the same time or be staggered? Does anyone know what is seeing their end of days? 7047-82 I imagine, even though I still haven't had the chance to photograph it.

This isn't the official list but I think the buses to be retired will be 7007, 7008, 7011, 7012, 7013 (all classics), 7047 (fishbowl) and 7063 (orion v). I'd personally like to see 7054 go but it probably wont happen.