TTC Nova Bus Delivery & Service Tracking

1 hour ago, 8000 said:

7115 has entered service on 96B Wilson, but it is not trackable and not marked as delivered....

This would require photo proof.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Has the TTC considered adding one more bus or multiple buses to the order for free? I think because this batch has came in late and it was past due its delivery deadline. 

A similar precedent exists. The 250 Orion VIIs that came in 2005 resulted 12 buses added and 220 Orion VII NG hybrids built in 2007-08 also added 4 more buses in the order.

2 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

Has the TTC considered adding one more bus or multiple buses to the order for free? I think because this batch has came in late and it was past due its delivery deadline. 

A similar precedent exists. The 250 Orion VIIs that came in 2005 resulted 12 buses added and 220 Orion VII NG hybrids built in 2007-08 also added 4 more buses in the order.

TTC negotiates each contract separately with the manufacturer. They usually contain penalties for various things, including late delivery.

In the past, Orion in particular was happy to "pay" those penalty costs with extra vehicles, which was part of the contract that was negotiated. They were a smaller builder, though, and had multi-year contracts set up with the TTC already, so tacking an extra bus or two onto the next years' order wasn't much of an issue with how they structured their business.

New Flyer and Nova both plan their production lines out for 1-2+ years in advance, so fitting in penalty buses at the end of the current order would cause issues/delays with their other customers. It could also mean TTC won't recover their penalties until the manufacturer has space to accommodate the equivalent of a "small order", which coule potentially be multiple years later. Plus, in recent years TTC has largely made one huge single order (rather than a series of multi-year contracts), so it's not really possible to "tack on" a couple of penalty buses to the next order if they're not even certain when that next order might be.

Given the above factors, it wouldn't surprise me if any damages for late delivery were in the form of liquid penalties (i.e. cash). They could be in other receivables that could be negotiated too, such as warranty extensions or credit for future parts/maintenance.

So the last 10 buses of the 7100 order has this new blindspots detection sensors. They have black senors on the exterior, and black rectangular boxes in the driver's areas to warn of any object for the driver to be alerted. There's one in either side of the driver's seat. 

Pictures to come later.