Double Decker Bus Order

sseguin

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted at Wajax yesterday (May 23): No new arrivals, but 8135 (plated), 8136 and 8137 were there.

Today: 8132 spotted deadheading westbound at Albert/Preston at 16:00.

At Wajax: No new arrivals, other than 8134, 8136, and 8137 - all of these buses have their licence plates.

As well, 8133 is now in service - spotted on Wednesday morning at Laurier Avenue waiting to turn left to southbound Nicholas while deadheading, presumably just completed a trip on 91 Laurier.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JCL said:

At Wajax: No new arrivals, other than 8134, 8136, and 8137 - all of these buses have their licence plates.

As well, 8133 is now in service - spotted on Wednesday morning at Laurier Avenue waiting to turn left to southbound Nicholas while deadheading, presumably just completed a trip on 91 Laurier.

8137 was still not licensed as of Friday 5/27, interestingly it was done the day after :-)

Thank you for all the updates again!  6 more to go to complete this order!

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm just curious are there any difference between the 8000 series DD's & the 81xx series DD's

IE drivers area? seating? engine/transmission? or anything else?

Yes. 

- Extra row of seats on the lower level (due to the removal of the Maintenance Access area)

- Video screen relocated (for passengers to see whether there are seats available upstairs)

- Rear doors are slightly narrower compared to the 8000s

- Driver's area, some switches moved to different location

- Driver has the ability to dim the interior lights

- There is a driver switch that allow the driver to control the sun visor

- Engine is quieter on the 8100 compared to an 8000, despite the engine being same model (Cummins ISL9)

I posted an interior walkaround video a while back, but I'll post it again: 

1 hour ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm just curious are there any difference between the 8000 series DD's & the 81xx series DD's

IE drivers area? seating? engine/transmission? or anything else?

It's an updated model!

the bodywork is different, and I think the new ones are slightly lower IIRC

I know I have a visual disability(Glaucoma) But I don't think my eye sight has gotten that bad, but either I'm seeing things, but are the windows on the DD buses slightly tinted? I also just noticed that there a systems map(or I think it's a system) on the driver's side the  2nd or 3rd window from the rear.

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I also just noticed that there a systems map(or I think it's a system) on the driver's side the  2nd or 3rd window from the rear.

That would be the Transiway Connections map (just a clear version of the one found on every bus (there's one on the second floor window too at the top of the stairs) ) 

15 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I know I have a visual disability(Glaucoma) But I don't think my eye sight has gotten that bad, but either I'm seeing things, but are the windows on the DD buses slightly tinted? I also just noticed that there a systems map(or I think it's a system) on the driver's side the  2nd or 3rd window from the rear.

Yes, the passenger and rear door windows of the double-deckers are tinted.

On 6/11/2016 at 0:00 AM, Enviro_1203 said:

8000s are 4.149m

8100s are 4.114m

never know they have different height, as from the ADL catalogue it shows that they have same height at 13' 6", would the 3cm difference caused by the different design of the tree guard besides the upper front windshield, as shown in the picture below?  Anyway i am still a bigger friend of the older generation more..........just my own preference

treeguard.jpg

5 hours ago, Cimon8000 said:

never know they have different height, as from the ADL catalogue it shows that they have same height at 13' 6", would the 3cm difference caused by the different design of the tree guard besides the upper front windshield, as shown in the picture below?  Anyway i am still a bigger friend of the older generation more..........just my own preference

treeguard.jpg

I'm doubtful the tree guard affects the bus's clearance. Its positioning is the same on both types of double-deckers. As a driver, I prefer the older ones to the newer ones as well.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

I'm doubtful the tree guard affects the bus's clearance. Its positioning is the same on both types of double-deckers. As a driver, I prefer the older ones to the newer ones as well.

from the picture, it looks to me that the tree guard on the older batch, seems to extend out from the roof of the bus, while the more "curvy" new batch, the tree guard kinda "hide" on the curvy edge of the roof, which doesn't extend above the roof of the bus.............but i could be wrong

• 2 weeks later...

8134 spotted this morning deadheading on RR174 eastbound. As well, I note from the post from the OC Bus Spotting thread that 8137 is in service (https://cptdb.ca/topic/10414-oc-bus-spottings/?do=findComment&comment=734723). 

That leaves 8138 to 8143 outstanding - none of those six have been pre-delivered when I passed by Wajax last Sunday. 

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Centralsmt said:

Still no sign of 8138-43?

Is it possible they may not be built until, at least, some of the GO Transit order is delivered?

ADL does seem to have a pretty full order book for Enviro 500's in North America just now.

I usually drive by Wajax and City View on Sunday mornings. So far, none of them have arrived. 

3 hours ago, Centralsmt said:

Still no sign of 8138-43?

Is it possible they may not be built until, at least, some of the GO Transit order is delivered?

ADL does seem to have a pretty full order book for Enviro 500's in North America just now.

Go Transit put in the contract that their Enviro 500 buses (SuperLo) have to have some of the assembly done in Vaughan. It is to minimize the delivery time especially on a large order of 253 SuperLo buses with an option for another 150 of them if they choose to take it. That order is separate from OC Transpo because the SuperLo is 3.9 metres to clear through the 4 remaining stations (Union, Yorkdale, York Mills and Hamilton Go). Along with the OC Transpo buses are built in Michigan by a manufacturer contracted by ADL. 

Considering that OC Transpo put it when the delivery was underway, Alexander Dennis would have to go through the supply chain to fill the remaining 6 double deckers requested. Alexander Dennis only planned for 37 new double deckers requested by OC Transpo. I don't think it will take very long to build another six since they were averaging two to three deliveries a week. Just more of an unexpected request for more units that were not covered in the additional order and working to accommodate the request for additional units. 

Alexander Dennis has been trying pretty hard to crack into the North American market. Especially when New Flyer has dominated the market for regular clean diesel buses along with a loyal clientele of transit agencies in their books. A lot of adjustments required to the product accommodating how low bridges, stations/terminals and buildings can be along some transit routes.