New pole spotted at Westmount

Ode of Bund

A bit behind (that pole's actually been up for a couple weeks), but it is still a good thing. Previously that hanger was held up by a span wire which was attached to a pole in the middle of the Westmount Island as well, but that pole has been removed. Also, the feeder cable has been moved from the middle of Westmount to the side, so this work is all being done to accomodate the trolleys during the reconstruction of Westmount. So, this September (or whenever construction actually begins) when Westmount is rebuilt, there will still be trolleys on the 5/135

so what happened to all my old postings? all discarded?? :)

A bit behind (that pole's actually been up for a couple weeks), but it is still a good thing. Previously that hanger was held up by a span wire which was attached to a pole in the middle of the Westmount Island as well, but that pole has been removed. Also, the feeder cable has been moved from the middle of Westmount to the side, so this work is all being done to accomodate the trolleys during the reconstruction of Westmount. So, this September (or whenever construction actually begins) when Westmount is rebuilt, there will still be trolleys on the 5/135

As well there's also a few new span wires in place around the terminal.

According to the guy I spoke with on Sunday, he said all new contact wire and new crossovers. I stood and watched for quite a long time, both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday they mostly put up the new wire, it was exhiliarating (to say the least) to watch the twin wire unravel from tandem spools from the back of the truck.

Sunday, they were taking the old copper down and replacing the crossovers. I have a pic of a crossover standing against a building wall (I stood beside a crossover, I wanted to touch it but didn't because I'm sure one of the guys would have yelled at me if I had). And I didn't want to sound foolish asking if I could 'touch' it. ( I will post the pic here on Thursday ~ watch this space :( )

crossover.jpgcrossover1.jpg

I wonder what Epcor does with the old crossovers and whatnot? I'd buy it.:P

They go to a fellow in ETS that deals with the disposition of 'old' hardware. I'd buy it too. So you'd better stand in line, there's four people ahead of you. We may have to have the crossovers on time share...each person can have it for three months or something. Can you imagine the joy of having a crossover in your living room ???

I understand that trolley wire is not a railway :P, but, the wires are very similar in layout to rails of a railway.

But of course, in model railroading a switch is virtually exlusively known as a turnout. Apparently this term is used with railways as well.

So, terminolgy is a bitch.

ETS drivers call section insulators "breakers". Technically they're section insulators, but who really cares?

Shoudn't those be reffered to as "crossings" rather than "crossovers"? As in railroading a crossing is when two tracks cross, a crossover is a set of two switches for a train to go from one track to another.

Correct. Actually, there's only one true "crossover" in Edmonton that I can think of.

but who really cares?

Not many people, to be sure :unsure:

It falls under the Railway Act.

While I have never read it... It probably is considered as falling under the Railway Act because it operates on a fixed infrastructure.

Yes and no. The Railway Act doesn't apply to urban transit. The railway act says:

“urban rail transit system” means any undertaking that is a street railway, tramway, light rail transit railway or similar undertaking the purpose of which is to transport the general public within an urban area.

Which is where the definition of a trolley bus as a rail vehicle probably comes from. I don't know if there's another piece of legislation that governs urban transit and explicitly makes the definition. I'd have to look it up :D

It falls under the Railway Act.

While I have never read it... It probably is considered as falling under the Railway Act because it operates on a fixed infrastructure.

Not any more: Some years ago (I don't know when) the Alberta Highway Traffic Act was changed to reclassify trolley buses as "motor vehicles". Until then, trolley buses in Edmonton (and Calgary 1947-1975) didn't need or have licence plates, nor were their drivers legally required to have driver's licences; now both are required.

Not any more: Some years ago (I don't know when) the Alberta Highway Traffic Act was changed to reclassify trolley buses as "motor vehicles". Until then, trolley buses in Edmonton (and Calgary 1947-1975) didn't need or have licence plates, nor were their drivers legally required to have driver's licences; now both are required.

Um not true. non of our trolleys nor lrt have license plates.

A drivers license is still not actually required because as long as pole is up, they are technically on private property.

Um not true. non of our trolleys nor lrt have license plates.

A drivers license is still not actually required because as long as pole is up, they are technically on private property.

I don't think having a pole up and being on private property has anything to do with it. The unit is not going to leave city limits under its own power. I think once we get the new units with the APU's, that rule may/ will change and they will be required to have plates. I could be wrong, but I think I'm not 'far' off the track here.

I don't think having a pole up and being on private property has anything to do with it. The unit is not going to leave city limits under its own power. I think once we get the new units with the APU's, that rule may/ will change and they will be required to have plates. I could be wrong, but I think I'm not 'far' off the track here.

I believe your right. the reason ETS trolleys are probably not covered under this is for the lack of APU's. it cannot be drivin without the power from overhead which is technically private property. this was explained somehow to me but im not sure exactly..

Guess ETS has been in error since then?

Still no plates on trolleybuses.