Vancouver Special Sightings

Enviro 500

Is there anybody else that listens to the Skytrain Scanner having problems right now? It has been wonky for me for the past week. It seems to be very intermittent and cuts in and out which makes it un-listenable. Oh well, too much "spare" time and have to find something else to do when it's not working. Or maybe invest in a real radio scanner and pull the signal myself...

Too bad it's only Skytrain that's available on the scanner. If one could get the bus channels I would invest in a scanner.

EDIT: Doesn't count as a special sighting...

Not sure if this counts, but I found V7200, V9492, V9494, and V9522, 9543 on the 3, and V7204,V9493, V9496, V9506, V9537, V9542, 9555 on the 20.

Probably because it's just the weekend.

Yeeh, as this list grows, I'm starting to think they do this all the time.

Why not use the 40-feet trolleys instead?

Due to car free day events on Main St and Commercial Dr the 3 and 20 are on detour today, forcing dieselization as the reroutes take them away from the trolley lines (the 20 is using Clark Dr, and the 3 is using Fraser between 33 and 12 Aves). The 5 and 6 will also be diesel today due to Denman St being closed. On a normal weekend the 3, 8 and 20 still get artic trolleys.

Due to car free day events on Main St and Commercial Dr the 3 and 20 are on detour today, forcing dieselization as the reroutes take them away from the trolley lines (the 20 is using Clark Dr, and the 3 is using Fraser between 33 and 12 Aves). The 5 and 6 will also be diesel today due to Denman St being closed. On a normal weekend the 3, 8 and 20 still get artic trolleys.

yes thats correct, I think today is the most dieselizations of the year, plus the 4 and 7.

I heard something to that effect too. However, there are two kinds of transmissions - the voice transmissions using the radio / handset, and text transmissions on the T-Mac. So maybe the voice transissions can be picked up on a scanner....

I'd really like to find out more and know for sure before I go and buy a scanner. And the sales clerks at the store won't know.

If there TX / RX frequencies, then there should be a way to pick it up.

I heard something to that effect too. However, there are two kinds of transmissions - the voice transmissions using the radio / handset, and text transmissions on the T-Mac. So maybe the voice transissions can be picked up on a scanner....

I'd really like to find out more and know for sure before I go and buy a scanner. And the sales clerks at the store won't know.

If there TX / RX frequencies, then there should be a way to pick it up.

Sorry captain but, most of the stuff between buses and the dispatch is via the cell phone networks. And even then all the voice networks are through the cell network as well. The only system with radios is West Vancouver.

- Bryan "Goggles"

So these are cell phone frequencies NOT radio frequencies??? Why would it be on radioreference then?

http://www.radiorefe...ps/db/?aid=6211

Well... I'll be dammed. I don't know if any of these frequencies work other then the SkyTrain ones. You could try them, but from the look of the reports. They havn't been updated since 2009.

- Bryan "Goggles"

Well... I'll be dammed. I don't know if any of these frequencies work other then the SkyTrain ones. You could try them, but from the look of the reports. They havn't been updated since 2009.

- Bryan "Goggles"

The T-Macs were in use in June 2009. I have no way to try out these frequencies. I don't have a scanner anymore. My dilemma is that I want a scanner, but if these frequencies aren't going to pick up on the scanner, then I won't bother buying one. If you know anyone with a decent scanner, if they could program in these frequencies and see if anything comes through, I'd appreciate some feedback.

I had a scanner from 2004 until 2011 in Edmonton. Our LRT line was at that time rather small and for the most part uninteresting. A lot of repetitive 'protocol' stuff. Control giving a directive and each motorman (in numerical train order) had to acknowledge (copy) that the directive was understood. So you would hear "Train 1 copy, Train 2 copy, and so on). And the boringness of MRC - manual route clearances, and whenever a motorman took a train out he would have to call in his numbers - a readout meter in each car (penaly stops over signal bypass) at each end (A end and B end) of his train. This was the majority of LRT chatter.

HOWEVER - the buses.... a comedy of errors. It was so entertaining I never did turn on a regular radio or T.V. ever again. (Till now of course). But then, ETS was just entertaining. Especially if you knew what you were listening to. To the non-transit ear, it would have just been gobbledy gook.

You would probably love to listen to ETS LRT because there are motormen, so it not only skytrain attendants/police and control.

I don't know if they use "Yellow Tango" or "Red India" either.

Do the Canada Line and the Expo / Millenium Line have separate Communication Control centers?

- Bryan "Goggles"

No those don't work anymore, or they've gone encrypted and my scanner can't decode them.

Do the Canada Line and the Expo / Millenium Line have separate Communication Control centers?

Canada Line is separate from Expo and Millennium Lines

Do these Canada Line frequencies work on the scanner ?

412.8625 Channel 1 Track Operations

413.0625 Channel 2 Operations & Mechanical Centre

413.4125 On Board Intercom OMC -> Train

418.4125 On Board Intercom Train -> OMC

413.7625 SCADA

413.7875 SCADA

The first three work. I've never heard anything transmitted from Train->OMC. Maybe I'm too far from the train, or it's encoded in some way.

There's nothing worth listening to on the SCADA channels. It's mostly data blips.

Also for those of you who listen to SkyTrain/Canada Line operations, you may find this info helpful:

http://dennistt.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/canadalinetrack.pdf

http://dennistt.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/skytraintrack.pdf

The C92 is normally run with big buses during rush hour, with trips coming off various routes that have extra layover time at Bridgeport Stn, meaning during rush hour there is no one bus devoted to the C92.

Anyone know why they choose to run standard buses on this route in the summer when BCIT is not in session? Is it still that busy??

Not necessarily. Given the scheduling for the C92, it's quite likely that if it were run with shuttles the runs that currently service it would either head back to RTC earlier or have extra layover time at Bridgeport Stn. As it stands right now, the C92's midday shuttle work would be one shift by itself, and adding shuttles in rush hour would require splitting the shift up, with one or both pieces being short enough that they would have to be paired with another piece of work for the operator.

What I meant was why didn't they change the block so that the C92 runs only with Community Shuttle vehicles for the June sheet? Isn't it a waste of resources (especially artics) to put them on the lowest capacity routes? I didn't think the C92 was that busy even in the peak hours in the summer. I thought it was only because the the BCIT U-Pas that they added the big buses to the C92. They could change it back for the September sheet.

• 2 weeks later...