CTrain - S200 (series 9) cars

LRT

18 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Saw this one in service running at the front of EB Blue Line either last Thursday or Friday!

Yes, 2444 has been on active roster as of last week.  Must be some kind of a record for that to happen in less than 2 weeks after delivery. 

17 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

What typically causes delays from the factory? Defects? Outfitting?

It's mostly electronics and mechanical defects and incomplete installations.  I've seen the interiors only half assembled on more than one occasion.

Serious question - I am fairly tall and have noticed occasional loose or hanging panels (usually above a door, though I think once it was a loose overhead handrail) on a few of the Series 9 interiors. Looks like a fastener either not done or stripped out of its housing. I don't play with them of course. But I notice.

Are these things known going out of the garage? Is there a way to report them? How often are interiors inspected?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Serious question - I am fairly tall and have noticed occasional loose or hanging panels (usually above a door, though I think once it was a loose overhead handrail) on a few of the Series 9 interiors. Looks like a fastener either not done or stripped out of its housing. I don't play with them of course. But I notice.

Are these things known going out of the garage? Is there a way to report them? How often are interiors inspected?

It's a known issue on the 9s. They do pop open on there own. Operators set the trains up and if a panel is found open service personnel from the garage will secure them.

These 9s fit and finish are not the greatest. Some of these cars rattle pretty bad.. it's not surprising to have panels pop open on their own.

• Like 1

I would only add that it's not just the interior panels coming loose, it's happening with the outside (skirt) panels as well. There are more expensive locks with rubber bushings available and used on other Siemens trains but they cost more money.

1 hour ago, chills_on_the_train said:

The interiors get inspected every day but that doesn't mean that every lock does as well or that the locks don't vibrate loose after few hours in service. Anything posted on Twitter seems to get an instant response.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Thank goodness. A passenger had to grab and help the doors stay shut on #2083 yesterday, they kept cycling otherwise. Time to go, U2s!

I couldn't agree more.There was a 4-car U2 train yesterday where the first 3 cars had the doorbanks activated on both sides at the same time. Unfortunately, it's going to take more money and another order of new cars before we can really start thinning out the U2 herd.