Translink Refurbishments

323 Surrey Ctrl Stn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Inside, they are for all intents and purposes the same. My biggest beef with the LFRs compared to the LFs is the design of the driver's window. Because of the contoured shape of the front cap, the front pane of the driver's window follows the contour, and the front half doesn't open as far as it should. When it's all the way open, the window frame partially blocks the mirror. On LFs this isn't an issue because both the window panes are the same size and shape so the front half can open further. I also find that the visibility lines on an LF are slightly better than on an LFR. Last summer in BTC I did a Skytrain shuttle two days in a row, the exact same index, which involved making a turn you don't see buses making every day - left from northbound Main St to the on-ramp for the Georgia Viaduct. Because of how tight the turn was, it was necessary to take the outer lane and then encroach onto the inner lane halfway through the turn. I found it a lot easier to see what was coming up on my left side from the driver's seat of a D60LF compared to a D60LFR.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 4:52 PM, Dane said:

Wait 7404 had a refurb this year? That seems .... interesting? How much service life are the remaining D40LFs expected to get? 

It's been out of service since February. I wonder whether the recent D40LF refurbs could be compared to when the last few D40s went through FOH in 2006/2007 (I'm thinking specifically of 3127 and 3181).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So how extensive is the rebuild on the ExxLFRs? Are they putting in push-bar doors on the newer ones? (Please, please, please!) Are they replacing the APU batteries? If so, with the same type or something more modern? Will they be converting the seating arrangement on V2101 to match the rest of the fleet? Anything else of note?