PRESTO - Ottawa Discussion

sseguin

According to the PRESTO Website, Ottawa is scheduled to get PRESTO late winter 2011.

I know, but they have been saying that for a while. I would like to believe it but they don't have the Next Stop announcement system up and running yet. So I find it hard that in the next year the Presto will be running. Although I have been surprised before. Has there been any mention of this recently?

• 4 months later...
Now the Presto site has it listed as Early 2012. Has there been any news or updates on this? Or are we still looking at a few years away judging by the lack of news?

Thanks

I attended a technical briefing back on June 8, 2010 ( http://ottawa.ca/cgi-bin/pressco.pl?&E...118〈=en ) in regards to the implementation of PRESTO. I did obtain hard-copy of the PowerPoint presentation and the information below of key importance is as follows:

• August/September 2011, begin marketing and communication campaign
  • September 2011, installation of the PRESTO hardware onto the bus fleet begins
  • November 2011, there will be a "field trial" on PRESTO. As well, they will begin selling PRESTO to Adult Pass users for December 2011
  • December 2011, PRESTO System will go-live
  • In December 2011, they will then begin selling PRESTO to Student Pass users and Ecopass users for use in January 2012
  • In January 2012, they will begin selling PRESTO to Community Pass users and Senior Pass users for use in Feburary 2012
  • In February 2012, they will begin selling e-Purse (I believe that is in lieu of bus tickets) for use in March 2012
  • It is anticipated that PRESTO hardware installations to the entire bus fleet be completed by March 2012 (one PowerPoint slide specified 100% completion of installation on March 1, 2011 for 1080 buses)
  • The old media fare types should be phased out by Summer 2012 (beginning July 2012)

We will have to wait and see whether or not the implementation, the above information, is on schedule because I haven't heard anything newer than what was provided last June.

I hope this helps.

• 8 months later...

I'm going to bump this thread back up, as I believe we should use this thread to continue the discussion PRESTO.

For anyone who missed what the implementation plan for PRESTO for next year, refer to this post in the GOA Transit News thread: http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?s=&showt...st&p=496228

For next Wednesday, there is a recommendation to allow PRESTO cards to be transferable: http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cityc...us%20Passes.htm

I'm going to bump this thread back up, as I believe we should use this thread to continue the discussion PRESTO.

For anyone who missed what the implementation plan for PRESTO for next year, refer to this post in the GOA Transit News thread: http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?s=&showt...st&p=496228

For next Wednesday, there is a recommendation to allow PRESTO cards to be transferable: http://www.ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cityc...us%20Passes.htm

I wonder how this will work with the Odsp Commuity Pass if the photo id is no longer issued.

I don't know if this has already been discussed but could there be something similar to Opus where reduced fare cards have a photo that needs to be shown to the driver?
Well we're going to have to because how else will the student pass work? I already got a Presto card in Toronto and there is like no room on it for a photo so it might have to be a different card.

This is and also due to our inter-provincal status, reason why our adult passes have photo ID and no one else does is to attempt to control which province buys what fare. I have no idea how they plan on controlling this once we impliment Presto unless we also continue to require photo ID for all passes. I know if they don't require photo ID, I am going to get myself a STO pass to save some money.

NVM, after reading through the report I see how it's going to work, if your registered in Quebec, you buy Quebec fare, if you registered in Ontario, you buy Ontario fare. Looks like they're not going to allow you to buy the other if your not registered in that province.

And as for the ID, they aren't totally eliminating it, but it will still be allowed to be transferable (similiar to the TTC):

Requiring all customers to carry proof of discounted fare entitlement (e.g. student card to prove eligibility for student smart card).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I think it's an error on their part when they actually meant the 13 future LRT Stations....

Maybe not?

If the O-Train is inded expanded and its used instead of a North South LRT I could see 13 stations

1)Bayview

2)Carling

3)Carelton U

4)Confederation

5Walkley(New)

6)Greenboro

7)South Keys(New)

8)Hunt Club Loop(New-Transitway ends)

9)Letrim(New)

10-13)(New)Not sure of all the stops but at least Fallowfield, that the Bridge there building?

Maybe not?

If the O-Train is inded expanded and its used instead of a North South LRT I could see 13 stations

1)Bayview

2)Carling

3)Carelton U

4)Confederation

5Walkley(New)

6)Greenboro

7)South Keys(New)

8)Hunt Club Loop(New-Transitway ends)

9)Letrim(New)

10-13)(New)Not sure of all the stops but at least Fallowfield, that the Bridge there building?

They are referring to the 13 LRT Stations that are part of the Downtown Ottawa Transit Tunnel (DOTT) Project, not the O-Train or former NS LRT Project.

1) Tunney's Pasture

2) Bayview Station

3) Lebreton Station

4) "Downtown West"

5) "Downtown East"

6) Rideau Station (for Rideau Centre)

7) Campus Station

8) Lees Station

9) Hurdman Station

10) Train Station

11) St. Laurent Station

12) Cyrville Station

13) Blair Station

They are referring to the 13 LRT Stations that are part of the Downtown Ottawa Transit Tunnel (DOTT) Project, not the O-Train or former NS LRT Project.

1) Tunney's Pasture

2) Bayview Station

3) Lebreton Station

4) "Downtown West"

5) "Downtown East"

6) Rideau Station (for Rideau Centre)

7) Campus Station

8) Lees Station

9) Hurdman Station

10) Train Station

11) St. Laurent Station

12) Cyrville Station

13) Blair Station

But if it was the new LRT Stations, then what does "and new LRT (upon completion)" mean?

But if it was the new LRT Stations, then what does "and new LRT (upon completion)" mean?

It's probably an error on their part. I've heard the media (and elsewhere) misquoting the new future LRT between Tunney's and Blair (via the new Downtown Tunnel) as "O-Train expansion", which is wrong.

There is talk of extending the O-Train further south from Greenboro to Leitrim - that will be a separate item.

It's probably an error on their part. I've heard the media (and elsewhere) misquoting the new future LRT between Tunney's and Blair (via the new Downtown Tunnel) as "O-Train expansion", which is wrong.

There is talk of extending the O-Train further south from Greenboro to Leitrim - that will be a separate item.

Yeah, for the referring to the LRT as the O-Train, Ashley Furniture Warehouse on Belfast was running a "moving sale" ad in the papers recently showing a picture of the O-Train since they're being forced to move because of the future LRT Yard that will be located there. Which this ad is misleading in that manor since it's not the O-Train that they're being forced to move, it's the LRT. But I guess copyright might of played a role in that, since the City's renderings are copyrighted iirc.

What I find funny is in all this time OC has been on Belfast/ST Laurent they never bought out Pepsi.They'll own all theland from Left of Pepsi to the Belfast Bridge., and right of Pepsi to St Laurent xcluding that little Marbale place.

HEY CITY buy out the Perpsi building.

What I find funny is in all this time OC has been on Belfast/ST Laurent they never bought out Pepsi.They'll own all theland from Left of Pepsi to the Belfast Bridge., and right of Pepsi to St Laurent xcluding that little Marbale place.

HEY CITY buy out the Perpsi building.

I actually thought the City was finally going to buy it out with this LRT, only after you pointed that out and I checked the report, did I realize that it's the only thing remaining.

But I can see it's days being numbered, and I thought the City now owns the property that Pepsi is on, but is letting them stay. Not that it really matters anyway.

• 2 months later...