2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

John has Unit # 128 this morning. Run 503 has someone else on it this morning (perhaps Bill is taking a Mental Health Day). A new fella on it got a bit turned around Downtown, but he's back on track with Unit # 170. Mitch has Unit # 181. A lady doing Run 702 today. Perhaps Geoff and Bill went golfing together ? It's currently a nice balmy -5. Good golfing weather :blink:

Trolleys out today though they are being changed off for 120, 135 and 5's because there is a gas leak on Jasper Ave between 124 and 118.

All other buses will be detoured

Figures. couldnt wait till after i go home.

So motorization. No buses at coliseum for over an hour on the 5... and by 5pm it was over and road open..

finally at about 5pm i saw a 5 go past us towards coliseum but like usual they were putting people everywhere back in service westbound.

Went out to meet up with a former employee who now has her own department to run....

It's sad to see employees move on :lol:

Spotted a Strathcona Startrans until down the road from my house... turning on 66 St from 31 Ave. Odd. Their route doesn't run around that area AFAIK, and, this was at 11:30. My first thought was it was being used on the SCAT service. However, the regular Startrans aren't wheelchair accessible. I am assuming it was a regular Startrans unit as it had an electronic destination sign.

Spotted 229 on a 150, and later a 106. Seems like a very odd interline.

Didn't spot a hybrid, although I didn't see one in the garage either.

4222 has an ad on the rear advertising that that bus has a particulate trap.

One seating block thing at Churchill has been unwrapped, assuming it was wrapped to begin with.

Something has been delivered to Cromdale. I think it might be the inserts for grade crossings.

I think I spotted 3- 4 car trains. I'm pretty sure we passed on just north of Coliseum... and then one just south of Coliseum. In fact, those trains probably weren't more than 3-4 minutes apart. Arriving at Central, another 4 car train showed up. I slept through most the trip northbound, so didn't observe them earlier! Before, I can only recall seeing 2- 4 car trains in a peak hour.

After arriving home, was greeted with an eBay purchase. It's the basic plans for the south LRT, through Strathcona to South Edmonton, with branches to Millwoods and the Heritage area.

It is rather large!!!!!!

CIMG4862.jpg

CIMG4864.jpg

There was a broken hanger on 107 Avenue and 134 Street as well.

That hanger has been broken for over two months. Good to know that everyone's on top of things.

Trolleys out today though they are being changed off for 120, 135 and 5's because there is a gas leak on Jasper Ave between 124 and 118.

What kind of gas leak?

What kind of gas leak?

Natural Gas!

OK, just came back from The Platform Level. All has been lovingly transformed into Disney-theme. It's really very fairy-tale-ish. I think the ads are more appealing to women and kids. Lots of pastel shades and soft tones. Nicely done though. And yes, the seating area is covered and there is a banner hanging over the stairwell/escalator area. :lol:

This is a very heavy advertising. also saw a 4400 with wrap along the top of the bus and the ad's don't know about the inside.

funny thing on the platform though. only 3 of the 4 seats are covered. one of them looks like it has clear tape taping it down...

All other buses will be detoured

Figures. couldnt wait till after i go home.

Figures ! It had to happen while I was at the pool, merrily swimming, dreaming of a nice trolley ride home.

That hanger has been broken for over two months. Good to know that everyone's on top of things.

There was a long time broken hanger at 138 Street and 102 Avenue. It has since been repaired. This one on 107 Avenue and 134 Street is more recent AFAIK. (I could be wrong though).

All trolleys on the 133 and mostly on the 3 today, which partially makes up for the dieselisation of the 5,120 and 135. Sometime in the midday 128 on 302 got changed over for 179, and 128 then made another apperance on a PM 133. 318 had 670 today. Also on the 3 were 126,127,132,137,146,152 and 173 (now at Mitchell), and the 133 also had 133 and 144.

The LRT train leaving University at 1400 was crush loaded today. I think the LRT needs to go up to 6 minute midday service, especially with U-Pass next year, as trains are getting very crowded in the midday (due to differing University start times).

I saw 542 roll through the downtown core south on 101 St today at about 1600.

And, it's been up for only a day, but one of the wraps on the seating blocks at Churchill already has a hole torn in it. :lol:

I did heard 6006 getting called over the radio today.

• Board Admin
The LRT train leaving University at 1400 was crush loaded today. I think the LRT needs to go up to 6 minute midday service, especially with U-Pass next year, as trains are getting very crowded in the midday (due to differing University start times).
Yeah, the trains are getting very busy. Sometimes there's been standing only room up to Coliseum. Usually by Belvedere it gets empty.

But they should seriously have a NB train come in at :53 and another at :57 or something. :lol: Then the second train takes it easy for a bit. But they should kind of have two-trains--at-once kind of thing.

Yeah, the trains are getting very busy.

But they should seriously have a NB train come in at :53 and another at :57 or something. :lol: Then the second train takes it easy for a bit. But they should kind of have two-trains--at-once kind of thing.

They could, if they wanted, operate what would amount to a stub train.

Regular train goes to HSS, stub train follows a few minutes later, but turns around at University and heads out right away, regular train follows.

Likely not worth the effort though, but it would allow increased headways for at least a few minutes at the busiest times.

There was a long time broken hanger at 138 Street and 102 Avenue. It has since been repaired. This one on 107 Avenue and 134 Street is more recent AFAIK. (I could be wrong though).

Nope. Since October or November. It's just probably taken this long for someone to notice.

A problem at 156 Street and Stony Plain Road this morning. Trolleys are being pushed around the corner into JPC. Why does that not surprise me ? John had a problem there yesterday and the resulting dewirement took the transmitter thingy off the end of Unit # 128's pole. John has Unit # 179 today (Tuesday).

Yeah, the trains are getting very busy. Sometimes there's been standing only room up to Coliseum. Usually by Belvedere it gets empty.

But they should seriously have a NB train come in at :53 and another at :57 or something. :P Then the second train takes it easy for a bit. But they should kind of have two-trains--at-once kind of thing.

Just some quick info... with the way the signal system is set up, they can't have trains

any closer than 4 minutes apart. Otherwise the 2nd train will get red signals at several

locations.

This was proven during the World Games. Trains were coming into University, as the SB

motorman was exiting the train, a different motorman was entering the train NB.

Inspector at University had us timed at 4 minute intervals. That train would leave,

and the SB motorman had 4 minutes to walk the length of the platform to take over

the next train. It worked quite well, and I guess the public was very impressed.

And, luckily, there were no breakdowns or catastrophes on that opening day :lol:

Just some quick info... with the way the signal system is set up, they can't have trains

any closer than 4 minutes apart. Otherwise the 2nd train will get red signals at several

locations.

This was proven during the World Games. Trains were coming into University, as the SB

motorman was exiting the train, a different motorman was entering the train NB.

Inspector at University had us timed at 4 minute intervals. That train would leave,

and the SB motorman had 4 minutes to walk the length of the platform to take over

the next train. It worked quite well, and I guess the public was very impressed.

And, luckily, there were no breakdowns or catastrophes on that opening day :lol:

These things can be quite easily changed though. its configuration of the signalling system which is controlled by computer.. That goes with the old saying of We cant do it here.. but we can! they don't think all around the world lrt vehicles minimum time apart is 4 minutes... ive seen them closer here too..