Heading to Montreal - November 2009

TC60102N

Hello guys, Myself and 2 others are hitting the road for 3 days in Montreal in November, What should we be looking for in and around Montreal bus wise ?

Any help is appreciated!! (Obviously we want as much high floor action as possible)

You may want to consider Montreal's CIT system (suburban transit outside Montreal)

A lot of CITs still run Classics, RTS and Orion V

One worth mentionning is CIT Vallée-Richelieu which operates Route 300 which is exclusively High Floor.

You may also want to check out CITSO and MRC Les Moulins. The latter runs almost exclusively Orion V.

The oldest bus still in operation in Montreal seems to be MRC L'Assomption's 29005 (1986 GM Classic).

Alex

CIT-Expert

Well gents more informed people can answer those questions... if you know me you know I'm all about wining and dining so if you wanna grab a meal sometime (cheap or not) I'm game.
You got to bring them to Schwartz's...

Well im one of the other parties coming down im intrested in the metro, amt, nova and van hool artics and odd balls in the bus fleets in the different operators in the area

I can help in that area.

You can find schedules for commuter trains here: http://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/train/. You can also get the paper pamphlets at Central Station (for all 5 lines), Lucien-L'Allier Station, Vendome station, and occasionally other stations. FYI you can take round trips on all 5 lines in the daytime as of January 2009.

Suggestions: (sorry if I'm just giving you info you already know!)

Equipment-wise

- If you'd like to ride the electric line, head to the Deux-Montagnes line. This line uses exclusively Bombardier Electric Multiple Unit cars.

- The Canadian Vickers Gallery-style double-decker coaches are quite cool. They are 40 years old, and riding them is a real trip through history. They're on the St-Jerome line and possibly still on the Dorion/Rigaud line (will confirm this)

- The ex-GO cars are in service on all four diesel lines. They are due to be retired relatively soon, once we get the new multilevel coaches.

- Right now the AMT is leasing equipment from New Jersey Transit - five GP40s and two F40s as well as 12(?) Comet 1B coaches and several Comet 1 coaches. These are similar to the AMT's 700 series coaches. They're on the Vaudreuil, Candiac and St-Hilaire lines.

- The GP9u locomotives; numbered 1310 through 1313; they are due to be retired relatively soon because they are very old. They make a beautiful sound. I think that the AMT is the last commuter railway in North America to operate GP9s.

- And if you'd like to try the state-of-the-art Bombardier Bilevels which entered service in 2005, you'll find them on the Vaudreuil and St-Jerome lines. They often operate the weekend train (on the Vaudreuil line)

Other tip

- If you ride the whole Vaudreuil line, get off at Dorion instead of Vaudreuil. From Dorion stn. you can see CN & CP Freight trains as well as VIA trains, and there are nearby depanneurs and restaurants to grab a bite, whereas at Vaudreuil, there's nothing really to do.

Personally, I'd recommend you just go to Lucien-L'Allier, Vendome or Montreal-West stations during rush hour and hop aboard (with a valid ticket of course :)) anything that fits your fancy.

You should also be warned that in the "aire de controle" (on a platform platform, on a train, etc.) you must have a valid ticket or you could be fined. And also FYI photography IS allowed on AMT property despite what security guards may tell you ;)

Yes, this post was copy-pasted from another thread since info is pertinent here :)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot! The new multilevels aren't in service yet, but have been spotted doing tests along the Deux-Montagnes line. If you are lucky, you may see them! They are stored in Saint-Eustache yard, and basically run up & down the line performing tests - testing the clearance in the Mount Royal Tunnel among other things (I suspect there are other things)

Well im one of the other parties coming down im intrested in the metro, amt, nova and van hool artics and odd balls in the bus fleets in the different operators in the area

I'm the third, I'm interested in mostly anything transportation wise as we don't operate this type of equipment in Toronto.

- The Canadian Vickers Gallery-style double-decker coaches are quite cool. They are 40 years old, and riding them is a real trip through history. They're on the St-Jerome line and possibly still on the Dorion/Rigaud line (will confirm this)

- Right now the AMT is leasing equipment from New Jersey Transit - five GP40s and two F40s as well as 12(?) Comet 1B coaches and several Comet 1 coaches. These are similar to the AMT's 700 series coaches. They're on the Vaudreuil, Candiac and St-Hilaire lines

I can confirm that the Canadian Vickers cars are still being used on the DR line. They are used every second day on train #18 (departs Vaudreuil at 7:45am, arrives Lucien-l'Allier 8:45am), and used on alternate days on train #17 (departs LuLa at 15:33, arrives Vaudreuil 16:19). I'm sure the same equipment gets used on other trains as well, but those are the only ones I can confirm. Of course it may have changed by the time you come in November.

The NJT cars are used on the same trains, but on alternate days. So if you get NJT cars on #18 in the morning, you'll have Gallery cars on #17 in the afternoon, and vice versa.

its confirmed I have Nov 9 and 10 booked off work

I can help in that area.

You can find schedules for commuter trains here: http://www.amt.qc.ca/tc/train/. You can also get the paper pamphlets at Central Station (for all 5 lines), Lucien-L'Allier Station, Vendome station, and occasionally other stations. FYI you can take round trips on all 5 lines in the daytime as of January 2009.

Suggestions: (sorry if I'm just giving you info you already know!)

Equipment-wise

- If you'd like to ride the electric line, head to the Deux-Montagnes line. This line uses exclusively Bombardier Electric Multiple Unit cars.

- The ex-GO cars are in service on all four diesel lines. They are due to be retired relatively soon, once we get the new multilevel coaches.

- Right now the AMT is leasing equipment from New Jersey Transit - five GP40s and two F40s as well as 12(?) Comet 1B coaches and several Comet 1 coaches. These are similar to the AMT's 700 series coaches. They're on the Vaudreuil, Candiac and St-Hilaire lines.

- The GP9u locomotives; numbered 1310 through 1313; they are due to be retired relatively soon because they are very old. They make a beautiful sound. I think that the AMT is the last commuter railway in North America to operate GP9s.

- And if you'd like to try the state-of-the-art Bombardier Bilevels which entered service in 2005, you'll find them on the Vaudreuil and St-Jerome lines. They often operate the weekend train (on the Vaudreuil line)

Other tip

- If you ride the whole Vaudreuil line, get off at Dorion instead of Vaudreuil. From Dorion stn. you can see CN & CP Freight trains as well as VIA trains, and there are nearby depanneurs and restaurants to grab a bite, whereas at Vaudreuil, there's nothing really to do.

Personally, I'd recommend you just go to Lucien-L'Allier, Vendome or Montreal-West stations during rush hour and hop aboard (with a valid ticket of course :lol:) anything that fits your fancy.

You should also be warned that in the "aire de controle" (on a platform platform, on a train, etc.) you must have a valid ticket or you could be fined. And also FYI photography IS allowed on AMT property despite what security guards may tell you ;)

Yes, this post was copy-pasted from another thread since info is pertinent here :)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot! The new multilevels aren't in service yet, but have been spotted doing tests along the Deux-Montagnes line. If you are lucky, you may see them! They are stored in Saint-Eustache yard, and basically run up & down the line performing tests - testing the clearance in the Mount Royal Tunnel among other things (I suspect there are other things)

Thanks for the info also if any of you guys wanna meet up when we are down let any one of us know

RTL

Classics: 45, 55, 90

LFS: Pretty much any line

Van Hool AG300s: 45 and 90

Keep in mind Classics RARELY run on weekends at RTL. The other two are garanteed for all days.

STM

Classics (off peak; weekends possibility): 18, 24, 32, 45, 51, 55, 64, 67 (467 only weekdays), 69, 80, 106 (506 only weekday rush), 121, 139, 141 (weekdays only you will find them), 165, 193.

Bolded ones are very good bets for all days.

Classics (rush hours): All of the above bolded + 33, 44, 52, 90, 100, 105, 135, 148, 159, 173, 190, 194, 410/430, 460, 470. Out of these, I highly reccomend the 52, 100, 148/194, 460, 470 and 535.

LFS First Gens: 139/505!!!! :)

LFS 2nd gens (2001-2004): 121, 141, 193, 460 and 535 are good...

LFS 2nd gens (2005-2008): 45, 67, 121, 141

LFS 2nd gens (2009): 18, 80, 160, 161, 165, 197, 535.

LFS 3rd Gens: Just go to Angrignon Metro, you are garanteed to see one! If not, try Atwater or Vendome stations too.

RTL

Classics: 45, 55, 90

Disagree for the 45 which I've noticed are mostly lemon gen LFS when they're not Van Hools and the 90 has been in large part almost exclusively low floor. 55 is a very sure bet for 9-0xx action. Other potential 9-0xx action out of TCV: 31, 46, 48, 59, 86, 87... not sure if there are others.

Like I said above read our sightings and detect trends.

Disagree for the 45 which I've noticed are mostly lemon gen LFS when they're not Van Hools and the 90 has been in large part almost exclusively low floor. 55 is a very sure bet for 9-0xx action. Other potential 9-0xx action out of TCV: 31, 46, 48, 59, 86, 87... not sure if there are others.

Like I said above read our sightings and detect trends.

Lol I dont mind trying out the 1st gen LFS

I don't mean to pry like this but what are the chances you can arrive for before noon?

BTW isn't Trans Expo on Tuesday?

I should of said Wednesday morning my mistake and yes we will be in Montreal at about 7:30am on Sun Nov 8th