DesignLine

Mr.Transit

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I wonder what's next....

What do you think is next?

From what I briefly read... I don't know if they can be compared to Millenium. I don't know how Designline in the US relates to Designline in, say, Australia and New Zealand, but they seem to have more of a solid backing behind them.

Their low floor bus is also a proven design in other parts of the world, they hybrid propulsion maybe not so.

Millenium was trying to sell a high floor bus when everyone was going low floor. They tried to produce a low floor, but it was a new, unproven design.

• Board Admin
'New' and 'unproven' certainly describe the DesignLine bus as well.

Well, DesignLine is established in other parts of the world (ie. New Zealand pictured below). While I'm sure there were modifications to the body for the US market, I don't know if the turbine propulsion system was something new to them too.

stagecoach302.jpg

• 4 months later...

Interesting bit on DesignLine on BusChat:

Reading through the Capstone Turbine quarterly conference call Designline has secured new financing to resume production. No buses were produced in the past few months. New York will be getting a larger turbine than in the test units

"Darren Jamison

It's not public information on the size of that financing, but it is enough to get their production ramped up. They really need to get to that one bus per day to execute on the 500 units they have in backlog, so the goal is to close this financing and immediately ramp bus production. So they've already talked to us about units this month. As soon as they close that financing and bring their account current we'll be shipping them product. So I think it will take them probably three to four months to get to one unit per day, or five units per week, but I think that's a level they should be getting to, probably by the end of Q1 2011.

Eric Stine

And just to clarify, those will be C65s now?

Darren Jamison

It will be more C65s than C30s, but it will be a mix. New York is going to C65s. Baltimore is still C30s. Charlotte is still C30s. The California properties are a mix. Denver I believe is C65s. Montreal I believe is C65s. Hawaii is a mix I believe. So really depends on the application. The larger 40-foot bus typically is a C65 and the smaller 30-foot bus is typically a C30."

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the article:

DesignLine Corp. Secures Financing from Consortium of Major Financial Institutions

DesignLine Corp. for mass transit, announced today that is has secured a substantial financing from a consortium of major financial institutions. The financing was led by Guggenheim Venture Partners, which doubled their initial investment in the Company, and ORIX Venture Finance, which provided a new debt facility. “Guggenheim Venture Partners and ORIX Venture Finance both independently focus on long-term, strategic investments in companies that are the industry leader in their particular market segment,” noted Darren C. Wallis of Guggenheim Venture Partners and Jeff Bede of ORIX Venture Finance in a joint statement.

“DesignLine is such a company. With hybrid and electric drive technology being deployed in the United States, New Zealand, Australia and the Middle East, DesignLine is truly changing the face of global transit. We are excited to be partners with them.”

DesignLine Corporation is leading the way to cleaner urban skies and quieter cities with its patented and proprietary designs for hybrid and all-electric buses which not only significantly reduce emissions but also provide lower total life-cycle operational costs. “This capital infusion allows DesignLine to meet the ever-increasing global demand for our products,” said DesignLine CEO Brad Glosson. “We truly appreciate the support of our original shareholders, new investors, vendors and customers over the last few months as we completed this financing. DesignLine is now positioned to take full advantage of the technical superiority of its products and aggressively complete production on our over $300 million in current contracts.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • Board Admin
On Monday, DesignLine Corp. announced that it received a grant from the Federal Transit Administration for a demonstration project involving its EcoSaver Hybrid Electric Fuel Cell Bus. Partners on this demonstration project include Ohio State University, The Center for Transportation and the Environment (CTE), and Ballard Power Systems.

The grant's focus combines DesignLine's existing lightweight chassis and robust, mature hybrid-drive train system with an advanced Ballard fuel cell, further chassis mass improvement research and next generation component development.

Under the grant, DesignLine will work with Ballard and CTE to integrate, validate and test the vehicle. Ohio State University will then demonstrate the resulting bus on its campus for 12 months, analyzing performance and operational data.

Giorgio Rizzoni, director of Ohio State's Center for Automotive Research, says the center will support the demonstration project through the technical expertise of its faculty and researchers and through the facilities of its Center of Excellence for Electric and Plug-In Vehicle Technology, including a heavy-duty chassis dynamometer and energy storage system and high-voltage power electronics test facilities.

"Ohio State's Center for Automotive Research has been the site of a hydrogen refueling station, which will be used in this project, since 2006, and we have been involved in research and development related to the electrification of commercial vehicles for 10 years," Rizzoni said.

Source: http://www.metro-magazine.com/News/Story/2...demo-grant.aspx

The city of Baltimore is replacing their entire fleet of 13 Designline buses with leased Van Hool 40 footers and have placed an order with Orion for 21 Hybrids, the amount of the original order.

That can't be good.

I wonder who's going to pick up the surplus DesignLine buses -- must be a good bargain.

• 3 weeks later...