Manitoba Transit Heritage Association

DavidW

I'm an 18 year old, no drivers license and part-time. I cant exactly do that :P

The classic "I can't do it so someone else should." :)

What I've learned is that I should do what I can in cases like these. In your case you should become an MTHA member, then your opinion will be entitled to a vote. Just saying...

The classic "I can't do it so someone else should." :)

What I've learned is that I should do what I can in cases like these. In your case you should become an MTHA member, then your opinion will be entitled to a vote. Just saying...

643 was traded for @ 800 probably 812

• 3 weeks later...

The Manitoba Transit Heritage Association will again this year represent Winnipeg Transit in the annual Santa Claus Parade. MTHA #751 (ex-Winnipeg Transit #751, 1971 GM T6H-4521A) will be decorated in lights and appear in the parade.

Any details yet on the permanent museum home to be built out front of FRG?

The idea has been floated that Winnipeg Transit would like to build a customer service centre on Osborne Street in the immediate vicinity of FRG. It has been suggested that a building could be large enough to also display perhaps two or so heritage buses and display cases containing smaller items. The MTHA would rotate vehicles through the display space and be responsible for the cases. Speculation has also suggested that the building could house other public/semi-public services/facilities such as the FRG cafeteria.

I haven't any impression of the likelyhood that the project will go ahead or what, ultimately, the building might have room for. Last I heard the City did not own the proposed property, nor does the customer service centre exist in the City budget. Until one or both of those things happen my guess is we won't hear much of anything.

The Manitoba Transit Heritage Association will again this year represent Winnipeg Transit in the annual Santa Claus Parade. MTHA #751 (ex-Winnipeg Transit #751, 1971 GM T6H-4521A) will be decorated in lights and appear in the parade.

The idea has been floated that Winnipeg Transit would like to build a customer service centre on Osborne Street in the immediate vicinity of FRG. It has been suggested that a building could be large enough to also display perhaps two or so heritage buses and display cases containing smaller items. The MTHA would rotate vehicles through the display space and be responsible for the cases. Speculation has also suggested that the building could house other public/semi-public services/facilities such as the FRG cafeteria.

I haven't any impression of the likelyhood that the project will go ahead or what, ultimately, the building might have room for. Last I heard the City did not own the proposed property, nor does the customer service centre exist in the City budget. Until one or both of those things happen my guess is we won't hear much of anything.

I'll (try and) get pics!

• 3 weeks later...
The Manitoba Transit Heritage Association has voted to send to scrap the following buses:

#28 (1960 GM model TDH-4517, ex-Beaver Bus Lines) - dead battery

#643 (1987 New Flyer model D40, ex-Winnipeg Transit) - dead battery

#953 (1981 OBI model Orion 01.501, ex-Winnipeg Transit) - rusty

#747 (1953 CanCar model CD44ATC, ex-Winnipeg Transit) - unrestored

#35 (1965 GM model TDH-3501, ex-Brandon Transit) - unrestored

#W4 (196? GM model TDH-3501, ex-Brandon Transit) - parts source for #34 restoration

no# (1940's Twin Coach ex-Winnipeg Transit) - parts source for #111

643 should be towed to the wreckers today.

that's real sad to see them going............especially Beaver Bus Line #28.............together with Orion I 953............luckily i photo most of them during my last visit to Winnipeg in June

Nice pictures!

Thanks! It took me awhile to find what street it was on for the parade beforehand, but I did try to get as many pictures as I could. Got some before they rolled it from 70 to 1, and have some of the Xmas lights as well. For next year, you guys should get 107 out! People might get tired of seeing 751 after awhile.

• 1 month later...

The Manitoba Transit Heritage Association has voted to send to scrap the following buses:

#28 (1960 GM model TDH-4517, ex-Beaver Bus Lines) - dead battery

#643 (1987 New Flyer model D40, ex-Winnipeg Transit) - dead battery

What exactly does "dead battery" mean??? Are the batteries designed for a particular bus and nothing can else can replace them? Is there more to it? I'm not a mechanic by any means and it kind of gets my curiousity

What exactly does "dead battery" mean??? Are the batteries designed for a particular bus and nothing can else can replace them? Is there more to it? I'm not a mechanic by any means and it kind of gets my curiousity

If they chucked out 643 when there was an replacment battery, I'm gonna be sad. Those are the first distinct buse's I remembered when I was a kid!

MTHA performed a cull of its collection. #28, #953, and #643 were disposed of. At the time of the decision those were the mechanical issues relating to #643 and #28.

Winnipeg Transit #814 (1989 New Flyer model D40) has since been designated for historic preservation. And with restoration of #565 (1946 Ford model Transit 69-B.) very nearly complete, #1768 has been brought indoors with the idea that it will be the next project.

Does anyone know anybody with auto-body skills, or knowledge of 1950 trolley bus electricals, who wants to volunteer on a major restoration project?

MTHA performed a cull of its collection. #28, #953, and #643 were disposed of. At the time of the decision those were the mechanical issues relating to #643 and #28.

Winnipeg Transit #814 (1989 New Flyer model D40) has since been designated for historic preservation. And with restoration of #565 (1946 Ford model Transit 69-B.) very nearly complete, #1768 has been brought indoors with the idea that it will be the next project.

Does anyone know anybody with auto-body skills, or knowledge of 1950 trolley bus electricals, who wants to volunteer on a major restoration project?

If my uncle was still around, I would've asked him. Took autobody in the late 1960s/early 1970s and became an mechanic

I understand Angus McIntyre from Vancouver was in Winnipeg just before the BHA convention in June, saw 1768, and pronounced it electrically fit. I can understand her needing a lot of cosmetic work.

• 3 weeks later...

The second Don Cherry mini-series, The Wrath of Grapes, filmed in spring and summer 2011 will premiere on CBC-TV:

8:00 PM Sunday March 4 and 8:00 PM Sunday March 11.

The Manitoba Transit Heritage Association participated in the filming of two scenes, one involving #111 (1937 Twin Coach model 23R) and one involving #20 (1956 Western Flyer Coach model T-36-2L).

I don't know if both scenes made it into the final product, nor whether they might appear in Part 1 or Part 2.

• 1 month later...

While the details are yet to be confirmed planning is underway for a joint Winnipeg Transit and MTHA event at Fort Rouge Station on Saturday April 7th, 2012.

Thinking is that the event would be open only to Winnipeg Transit employees and MTHA members. There would be a display of vehicles from the MTHA fleet and rides on the transitway provided by three rt buses and two MTHA buses.

Nothing is confirmed yet, and plans could change, but maybe just maybe a select few might get to ride on the Transitway in a 1937 Twin Coach...

While the details are yet to be confirmed planning is underway for a joint Winnipeg Transit and MTHA event at Fort Rouge Station on Saturday April 7th, 2012.

Thinking is that the event would be open only to Winnipeg Transit employees and MTHA members. There would be a display of vehicles from the MTHA fleet and rides on the transitway provided by three rt buses and two MTHA buses.

Nothing is confirmed yet, and plans could change, but maybe just maybe a select few might get to ride on the Transitway in a 1937 Twin Coach...

That sounds cool. I wouldn't mind getting some pictures of an orange D40 on the Transitway.

R.I.P. 643. Would've made an EXCELLENT high-floor ride down the SWRTC :(

Sorry, had to mention. Can I possibly have permission to attend this event? I know I'm 18 and not in WT or MTHA, but it'd be nice to actually see the inside of an New Look, D901 or better yet, FRG again! I could also bring the Canon Rebel and get some pics :)