BC Transit - Kelowna Regional Transit System

We only have six of the Enviro 500 deckers left in Kelowna. the numbers all I am not sure of. we do have for sure. 9525, 9518, 9514, but the other three I am not sure. the old deckers are gone. 0251, 2 and 3. We lost a bunch of double deckers after the olympics. And then we found out that the fancy new bus stops they made on the highway for the 97 express were too high for the double deckers. The back doors open out and hit the curb. Only the Novas are being used on the 97 Express here now.

We have a bunch of novas. 9232 to 9244, 9249, 9277, 9281, 9286, 9287. We still use 602 and 603 for school specials. although 603 has been parked for a while. 8906 is dead. Just an artificial reef waiting to be sunk with the double deckers.

8080 and 8081 are probably about the two most reliable buses in the fleet. 8080 is a very smooth riding powerful and quiet coach. I actually enjoy driving the old horse.

Any other questions about Kelowna, I will try and answer.

We still use 602 and 603 for school specials. although 603 has been parked for a while. 8906 is dead. Just an artificial reef waiting to be sunk with the double deckers.

Dzldriver, if you have any access to information inside the transit system in Kelowna - I'd just like to know a few extra details.

I'm considering a trip to Kelowna, but not until February or March (Victoria is a LONG way from Kelowna, after all) and I'd just like to know if anything is actually planned for the buses noted above (8906 in particular, but also 602 and 603)

I'm assuming 602 and 603 still have plates and operating permits, but what is to become of 8906 in the next few months? Just curious...

STF

• 3 weeks later...
Dzldriver, if you have any access to information inside the transit system in Kelowna - I'd just like to know a few extra details.

I'm considering a trip to Kelowna, but not until February or March (Victoria is a LONG way from Kelowna, after all) and I'd just like to know if anything is actually planned for the buses noted above (8906 in particular, but also 602 and 603)

I'm assuming 602 and 603 still have plates and operating permits, but what is to become of 8906 in the next few months? Just curious...

STF

603 is parked and currently has no plates on it. What I have heard is that there is something major wrong with the motor. I will have to look closer when I get to work on Monday, but I am positive that 8906 is no longer on the property. I will confirm that next week for you.

dzl

• 4 weeks later...
Given the recent debate about BRT vs LRT here in the CRD, I wondered exactly what they did for the 97X Rapid Bus? Did they pour any new pavement? If so, where? What other infrastructure did they build?

I believe the only new infrastructure was improved bus stops. There could be more though, I don't know.

Chris Cassidy

Given the recent debate about BRT vs LRT here in the CRD, I wondered exactly what they did for the 97X Rapid Bus? Did they pour any new pavement? If so, where? What other infrastructure did they build?

More or less Kelowna now has 3 lanes going down Hwy 97 through the city in both directions starting from Hwy 33 to Abbot ... the outside lane (right lane) is an HOV lane for buses and cars carrying 2 or more people ... they also have new stops installed with very nice shelters ... they are limited though with only a few between UBCO and the Queensway Terminus ... thats all. The 97x doesn't have any exculsive lanes or traffic lights but as the route now only travels down Hwy 97 with limited stops ... thats more or less what makes it and express route.

More or less Kelowna now has 3 lanes going down Hwy 97 through the city in both directions starting from Hwy 33 to Abbot ... the outside lane (right lane) is an HOV lane for buses and cars carrying 2 or more people ... they also have new stops installed with very nice shelters ... they are limited though with only a few between UBCO and the Queensway Terminus ... thats all. The 97x doesn't have any exculsive lanes or traffic lights but as the route now only travels down Hwy 97 with limited stops ... thats more or less what makes it and express route.

What happens to the route when it starts running on Harvey? Did they create HOV lanes there too?

What happens to the route when it starts running on Harvey? Did they create HOV lanes there too?

Harvey is Hwy 97 :P

If you take Hwy 97 from Winfield, its 2 lanes in both directions until you cross Hwy 33 (by Costco) then you have 3 lanes in both directions until you cross Abbott (Northbound has been 3 lanes for years and southbound was just added recently as well as the outside lanes in both directions being designated as HOV), southbound continues as 3 lanes over the new W Bennett bridge until you get past Westside Rd, but norhtbound is only 2 lanes over the bridge ... the HOV also ends/starts (south/north) at Abbott.

Hopefully that clears it up a bit :(

Not really a question, but if you're ever up at UBCO come up and say if you haven't already done so ... I'll be in the 90 for the 400pm, 600pm and 755pm runs back to Vernon :lol:

Harvey is Hwy 97 ;)

If you take Hwy 97 from Winfield, its 2 lanes in both directions until you cross Hwy 33 (by Costco) then you have 3 lanes in both directions until you cross Abbott (Northbound has been 3 lanes for years and southbound was just added recently as well as the outside lanes in both directions being designated as HOV), southbound continues as 3 lanes over the new W Bennett bridge until you get past Westside Rd, but norhtbound is only 2 lanes over the bridge ... the HOV also ends/starts (south/north) at Abbott.

Hopefully that clears it up a bit :)

Yes, very much so. What Kelowna has really isn't comparable to Victoria, despite some people in Victoria claiming that, because we are planning creating a brandnew RoW by the side of Highway 1 and dedicating lanes downtown. But it does rock that the 97x exists. More express can only mean higher ridership (eventually)

The problem with Kelowna's HOV layout is that being on the outside lane, you still have a lot of cars making right turns regardless of how many occupants in the vehicle. In fact, shortly after they opened the HOVs up, the RCMP stated that they will not enforce the correct use of the lane so single occupant vehicles use them all the time regardless if they're turning right or not, so its really not much of a HOV lane. I'm sure a Kelowna driver will be able to shed more light if its an improvement over the way it was before or not. IIRC, before the 97x bus turned up HWY 33 and on to Rutland Rd but now goes down HWY 97 the whole trip.

The problem with Kelowna's HOV layout is that being on the outside lane, you still have a lot of cars making right turns regardless of how many occupants in the vehicle. In fact, shortly after they opened the HOVs up, the RCMP stated that they will not enforce the correct use of the lane so single occupant vehicles use them all the time regardless if they're turning right or not, so its really not much of a HOV lane. I'm sure a Kelowna driver will be able to shed more light if its an improvement over the way it was before or not. IIRC, before the 97x bus turned up HWY 33 and on to Rutland Rd but now goes down HWY 97 the whole trip.

Ouch, that is exactly what happens with a lot of curb lanes, so I am not surprised. I guess I also shouldn't be surprised that the cops are still living in the 20th century, especially the RCMP. Windshield perspective affects the best of us.

• 1 month later...
9890 was infront of me leaving UBCO, its the first and only New Flyer I've seen in the new blue/green livery ... looks much nicer than the old red/blue.

Interesting, I wonder if this is temporary or not. Can't see that bus being very popular in summer since it doesn't have air conditioning! But then, I have no idea what Kelowna's track record is for maintaining A/C systems as it is.

If the local transit companies/contractors are responsible for maintaining buses, do BC Transit mechanics check them as they pass from one system to another to make certain nobody is screwing up?

If a receiving property discovers deficiencies with a bus that should have been corrected by the previous operator before moving it, I believe the original contractor can be billed for the repairs when the work order is sent to BC Transit.

On top of that BC Transit does routine checks of all properties, the frequency of which is determined at least partly by quality of fleet upkeep in previous assessments.

I never even noticed the roof mounted A/C unit, or rather lack of, until you mentioned it. I'm assuming that 9890 came up prepainted from another property then?

Yes, 9890 is a former Victoria unit. It was original to Victoria when new in 1998. None of the D40LF's delivered new to Victoria were delivered with A/C. All BC Small Communities D40LF's were delivered with A/C.

As I suspected, 9887 is also in Kelowna - I hadn't seen this one in Victoria for around 2 weeks now. 9887 and 9890 both still have their Victoria Regional Transit Commission decals applied. Also saw quite a few 2007 Novas in the new paint scheme - 9238, 9239, 9240, 9242, 9249.

9232, 9235, 9236 and 9267 are still in the old red and blue. Also spotted 8080 and many 9700's, but only two a/c equipped 9800's. As alluded to above, perhaps they are out for midlife refurbs. Would definitely explain deploying buses without air conditioning to Kelowna (or anywhere in the Okanagan for that matter).

no 9249 was in old red and blue when she left bus she did have her fleet number on the windsheiled unlike most 07 novas

9249 was broken down at UBCO Monday night, don't know if she has the unit number on the windshield though ... 9276 (which is with Vernon) had the windshield number up untill a couple of weeks ago, but the windshield has since been replaced ... twice ... gotta love winter highway driving :angry:

In the news today ...

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/60420...ake-strike-vote

... Kelowna transit workers will vote on a new contract Sunday.

Members of the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1722, have been without a contract since March 31, 2010.

Union leaders are recommending members reject the latest offer.

If the deal is turned down, union officials say a strike vote will also be held.

Union officials say the public will be given plenty of notice before any job action is contemplated.

Add to that Kamloops voted 97.7% in favour for strike and Vernon and Salmon Arm are starting negotiations in the coming weeks.

9249 was broken down at UBCO Monday night, don't know if she has the unit number on the windshield though ... 9276 (which is with Vernon) had the windshield number up untill a couple of weeks ago, but the windshield has since been replaced ... twice ... gotta love winter highway driving <_<

it probabley did unless it had a w/s change since victoria

In the news today ...

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/60420...ake-strike-vote

... Kelowna transit workers will vote on a new contract Sunday.

Members of the Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 1722, have been without a contract since March 31, 2010.

Union leaders are recommending members reject the latest offer.

If the deal is turned down, union officials say a strike vote will also be held.

Union officials say the public will be given plenty of notice before any job action is contemplated.

Add to that Kamloops voted 97.7% in favour for strike and Vernon and Salmon Arm are starting negotiations in the coming weeks.

Kamloops, Kelowna, and Vernon are all run by the same company, FirstCanada ULC, and when they undercut their previous employers bids when they took over each contract, they promised their employees lots of things, because most of the Unions were signing one year contracts just to get FirstCanada a figure for their budgets. Aside from the fact they are so harsh to their employees, the buses are often a bolt from being off the road, as well as their handydart policy idiocies. I speak because I was there. Good for them!