Mississauga Transit Orion V Retirement

Please explain yourself clearly instead of using brief comments.

First off, These buses are approaching the end of their life cycle. The 9100 series coaches are 18 years old (Build dates of 1990), and the 92's and 93's are aging. They are in the day where they have corroded frames, several mechanical breakdowns, non working A/C, and limited accessibility, as well has having a harder time to adhere to schedules. Replacing these buses has the advantage of these features, A/C, accessibility, etc. Plus, the capacity of LF buses is not being realized as too many people fail to move back. The point is, nothing lats forever, and has to be replaced. The V's lasting 18 years is a testament to their quality, and yes, it is sad to see them go, but it is something that has to be accepted as it is all for the better. If it wasn't for the better, I doubt they would be retiring them. And plus, they are replacing them with what they can afford, in this case it is low floor vehicles which have been given government funding, unlike high floor vehicles if they were purchased these days.

The main point is, nothing lasts forever, and I'd just suck it up. We were complaining when the D901's of the TTC were going, but eventually got over it, and in 12 years we'll be complaining when the D60LFR's go. It's just an aspect of life, and it has to be realized by you.

Wow those 92s and 93s are really coming out of the woodwork now. I had a hard time finding those back in 2006. Apparently they used to be assigned to Malton.

I did not know about the 93s from when I became interested in January 2006, until I got a picture of 9301 in May of that year. I wondered what was going on, then the same driver had 9305 or 6 the next day. That shows you how captive they used to be, not so much now! :rolleyes:

First off, These buses are approaching the end of their life cycle. The 9100 series coaches are 18 years old (Build dates of 1990), and the 92's and 93's are aging. They are in the day where they have corroded frames, several mechanical breakdowns, non working A/C, and limited accessibility, as well has having a harder time to adhere to schedules. Replacing these buses has the advantage of these features, A/C, accessibility, etc. Plus, the capacity of LF buses is not being realized as too many people fail to move back. The point is, nothing lats forever, and has to be replaced. The V's lasting 18 years is a testament to their quality, and yes, it is sad to see them go, but it is something that has to be accepted as it is all for the better. If it wasn't for the better, I doubt they would be retiring them. And plus, they are replacing them with what they can afford, in this case it is low floor vehicles which have been given government funding, unlike high floor vehicles if they were purchased these days.

The main point is, nothing lasts forever, and I'd just suck it up. We were complaining when the D901's of the TTC were going, but eventually got over it, and in 12 years we'll be complaining when the D60LFR's go. It's just an aspect of life, and it has to be realized by you.

I wonder if it wasn't for their corroded frames if they would be fixed up and kept in service.

Re: Malton - for many years 9101 to about 9133 were Malton buses and Malton didn't operate on weekends and holidays making them harder to see.

The entire 9301-class was assigned there for some time as well. Now it's the 9701-class working at Malton although with more units there and 7-day work they can been seen more often in north and east parts of the city, even on weekends.

The 9201-class was also gone for some time (can't remember when) being re-built from CNG to diesel.

The "standard" today seems to be about 16 to 18 years but older engines (issues with fuel consumption and pollution) and high-floor are making it a bit easier to retire the older units after 15 years.

Re: Malton - for many years 9101 to about 9133 were Malton buses and Malton didn't operate on weekends and holidays making them harder to see.

The entire 9301-class was assigned there for some time as well. Now it's the 9701-class working at Malton although with more units there and 7-day work they can been seen more often in north and east parts of the city, even on weekends.

The 9201-class was also gone for some time (can't remember when) being re-built from CNG to diesel.

The "standard" today seems to be about 16 to 18 years but older engines (issues with fuel consumption and pollution) and high-floor are making it a bit easier to retire the older units after 15 years.

What about 9134-9140?

Anyways, 9109 on 61 and 9135 on 66 this morning.

Please post any and all daily Orion V sightings so the retirement watch can be kept up to date.