New York MTA to "consider" double decker buses

Shouldn't be too big of an issue - they already have Gray Line sightseeing tours using double deckers, don't they?

Gray Line has Dennis Tridents with Duple Metsec bodywork as well as Alexander Dennis Enviro 500s, but those are open-top buses which are significantly shorter than standard closed-top versions.

CitySights NY, another sightseeing company, runs a number of converted double-decker Orion I and Gillig Phantom buses with removable roofs. When they operate with the roofs attached (about the same height as a standard double-decker bus), they don't seem to have any clearance issues.

The only obstacle facing the MTA would be clearance at some of its garages -- most are not tall enough to accommodate a standard double-decker bus. Also, a number of tunnels in the region can't even fit open-top double-reckers.

• Board Admin

Ah, for sure - maintenance could be an issue. They park their MCI coaches outside, so double deckers would probably have to be too. Oh well, another demonstrator coming in the future maybe!

Gray Line has Dennis Tridents with Duple Metsec bodywork as well as Alexander Dennis Enviro 500s, but those are open-top buses which are significantly shorter than standard closed-top versions.

CitySights NY, another sightseeing company, runs a number of converted double-decker Orion I and Gillig Phantom buses with removable roofs. When they operate with the roofs attached (about the same height as a standard double-decker bus), they don't seem to have any clearance issues.

The only obstacle facing the MTA would be clearance at some of its garages -- most are not tall enough to accommodate a standard double-decker bus. Also, a number of tunnels in the region can't even fit open-top double-reckers.

Those tridents/Enviro 500 are in the length of 40ft.

That's true, but the Enviro 500 is approximately 14 feet tall and that's too much for some of the area tunnels.

im sure if MTA wanted for the right price and ordered a good number that Dennis or any other company will build something that would fit the tunnels

• Board Admin

I think there are already two different heights of double deckers (maybe not the Enviro 500 though?), but if the tunnels are an issue they should probably just look at more coaches...

I think there are already two different heights of double deckers (maybe not the Enviro 500 though?), but if the tunnels are an issue they should probably just look at more coaches...

Yes, there are two heights for the E500. I think all North American ones are just under 14 ft. The other height is just over 14 ft.

Article here: http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/...e-decker-buses/

It would definitely be interesting should this actually come to fruition... and the buses in question will most likely be Alexander Dennis Enviro 500s.

NYCTA also experimented with double deckers in the late 1970's. Attached is a shot of D3, taken on 5th Avenue in Manhattan in May of 1979.

Kevin

NYCTA_D3___May_1979.jpg

That what's the "real" story?

There was a related issue regarding the low clearances underneath traffic light arms on the streets where the double deckers were to operate, although that was rectified. I've heard that faulty components within the bus forced their early retirement. But if that's not the case, I'm still waiting for the "real" story as well....

There was a related issue regarding the low clearances underneath traffic light arms on the streets where the double deckers were to operate, although that was rectified. I've heard that faulty components within the bus forced their early retirement. But if that's not the case, I'm still waiting for the "real" story as well....

All political, and very well documented in publications of the history of Leyland Buses. I'd recommend the book The Leyland Bus by Doug Jack as a reference point. The fact that near identical buses were operating in Bhagdad at the same time is also interesting......................as I said all very political.

The vast majority of them, 7 of the 8, actually saw service in the US and Canada for close on 30 years, says volumes for how good a vehicle the Atlantean actually was.