Calgary Transit

kevlo86

Its been there for about a month now.
Ah okay :). Well as I said I'm not regularly out that way, but I have occasionally seen traffic come to a snarl there so it'll be nice to have.

This is pretty cool too. An update for "Transit Hub Calgary" was released allowing people to report the status of the bus they're waiting for/riding - On time, Late, or Emergency. Others can then see the status of said bus when they look up their stop number/route. It'll be interesting to see how well that actually works in practice though (doubt many will use it.)

Ah okay :). Well as I said I'm not regularly out that way, but I have occasionally seen traffic come to a snarl there so it'll be nice to have.

This is pretty cool too. An update for "Transit Hub Calgary" was released allowing people to report the status of the bus they're waiting for/riding - On time, Late, or Emergency. Others can then see the status of said bus when they look up their stop number/route. It'll be interesting to see how well that actually works in practice though (doubt many will use it.)

I dont like the idea that passengers can report if i am running late etc.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/...6225/story.html

An alderman wants the city to investigate creating an independent commission to oversee Calgary Transit, in an effort to better monitor complaints and take some of the politics of city council out of public transit decisions.

This Thursday is 'Thank your Driver Day.'

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/thankyourdriver.html

Every day, Calgary Transit drivers get up at the crack of dawn to ensure you get to work, school, appointments or wherever else you need to be. They have to deal with rush hour traffic (that can break the best of us!) that’s beyond their control, and then face some angry, frustrated people who blame them anyway!

But this is just one thing they have to worry about…

Calgary Transit drivers are concerned first and foremost with your safety…with half a million peoples’ safety every week day, in fact. They have to manoeuvre through construction, road hazards and extreme weather conditions. Most even manage this with a smile on their face and go out of their way to help Calgarians get around our city.

It can be a real challenge battling traffic and meeting the needs of the wide variety of customers, but our drivers do this every day.

The majority of people are wonderful to serve and out drivers appreciate them. Unfortunately there are some customers who are not as friendly and our drivers serve them as best they can.

It’s time we thanked them.

This Thursday, October 13 is Thank your Driver Day so please, when you see your driver – bus and/or CTrain – smile and thank them for everything they do, they’ll appreciate it!

Unless it's traffic related, excessive delays should be reported.

Any excessive delays are reported, by the driver, so there is no need for the passengers to do it too. There maybe an issue that the passengers dont know about.

Any excessive delays are reported, by the driver, so there is no need for the passengers to do it too. There maybe an issue that the passengers dont know about.

Half of the tweets are verbally abusive towards operators. The other half are people who can't read a bus schedule and complain about buses being early for stops in between 2 timepoints.

There are some legit complaints but that's why they have 262-1000 for. A complaint should not be brought out to an operator unless it has been substantiated as being a real issue with someone's real name and phone number on the complaint. Bitching to CT is all that twitter site is good for.

Half of the tweets are verbally abusive towards operators. The other half are people who can't read a bus schedule and complain about buses being early for stops in between 2 timepoints.

There are some legit complaints but that's why they have 262-1000 for. A complaint should not be brought out to an operator unless it has been substantiated as being a real issue with someone's real name and phone number on the complaint. Bitching to CT is all that twitter site is good for.

At least you guys have numbers that people know about and peace officers with the power to do something. I've seen some pretty pissed off customers on Winnipeg Transit, particularly the 21 where this guy with a bike on the bus when it was packed (why I dont know), decided to start yelling random obscenities in my face and annoy everyone else. Horrible 15 minutes before work

I will not say I'm confused though I am troubled. Most Bus Operators care about their passengers and do everything reasonable to maintain schedule with safety in mind. Calgary Transit Management are the ones responsible to get things on track. (95% of the time).

Scheduling the main issue but only because for whatever reason they think its wise to write the schedule in a way that encourages waiting at every time point on many routes creating huge inefficiencies for both the Bus Operator and the passengers. At the end terminals, where in most transit agencies there is recovery time; typically there is none where 7-10 min. would fix the issue. Often times many Operators including myself will wait an additional 5-8 min. at the end terminal so that we aren't forced to stop at every time point in between. The human body doesn't work that way as people don't work for 10 min. then stop for 3 min. then work for 15 min. then stop for 5 min. In that sense the train schedule is perfect and models what most bus schedules should be. (30/60 min. driving time then 5-7-10 min. recovery time).

There are other issues as well but fixing the above would go a long way.

When is it not legit? As a long time bus rider and now an bus operator, I am a bit confused by this post.

Say a driver takes a long break or something of that nature. Or in the middle of the route runs into a restaurant. I know operators get breaks but when that happens (especially if the bus is late), it's frustrating.

I will not say I'm confused though I am troubled. Most Bus Operators care about their passengers and do everything reasonable to maintain schedule with safety in mind. Calgary Transit Management are the ones responsible to get things on track. (95% of the time).

Scheduling the main issue but only because for whatever reason they think its wise to write the schedule in a way that encourages waiting at every time point on many routes creating huge inefficiencies for both the Bus Operator and the passengers. At the end terminals, where in most transit agencies there is recovery time; typically there is none where 7-10 min. would fix the issue. Often times many Operators including myself will wait an additional 5-8 min. at the end terminal so that we aren't forced to stop at every time point in between. The human body doesn't work that way as people don't work for 10 min. then stop for 3 min. then work for 15 min. then stop for 5 min. In that sense the train schedule is perfect and models what most bus schedules should be. (30/60 min. driving time then 5-7-10 min. recovery time).

There are other issues as well but fixing the above would go a long way.

I'd hate to be the person driving 137, its pretty much 15/5/15/5/15/5...

Say a driver takes a long break or something of that nature. Or in the middle of the route runs into a restaurant. I know operators get breaks but when that happens (especially if the bus is late), it's frustrating.

So we are not allowed to take a break when needed? Have you ever driven for a living? These is all 'legit' things.

I would ask, how riders would know if that particular bus is late? Are they themselves in a hurry? That's what taxis are for.

It all depends on time of day and the route. If you have 15 min to get from one timepoint to another and it only takes 7, you can either race up and kill 8 min at next timepoint, drive really slow or if you need to stop for a washroom break or grab a coffee then go ahead. As long as you are not sacrificing schedule and not doing that during rush hour, it shouldn't be a problem. We don't get the 2 paid 15 min coffee breaks that the rest of the world gets under labour laws of the land. Asking someone to hold it and drive is also unacceptable. Some routes literally only have 1 or 2 washrooms on long routes like the 301. Would you want your bus driver to shit his pants or pee his pants?

Seriously?

My understanding is that the drivers are often doing their best in maintaining schedules. If nature calls, or they know there is an opportunity, it is only fair for them to take it, then to risk the safety of passengers or the health of the operator him/ herself. It is selfish of you to suggest, or at least come across that your schedules or activities are of greater importance. Bus drivers are also people. You should take the opportunity to thank them, rather than frown at them for simply relieving themselves when nature calls. Just keep in mind, bus drivers aren't always within reach of a washroom when they need it. The likelihood of them holding out until the next opportunity, I'd be willing to bet, is larger than a good portion of us, who (I'd say) are generally within fair proximity to the facilities.

Again, you guys obviously deserve breaks and I'm not saying you don't.

And I'd like to assume most people take a bus that doesn't cut it too close but if you have to make connections, a few minutes here or there makes a huge difference, especially on weekends and late at night.

But there are drivers who seriously just take a coffee break or something whenever they like, and this is more common in Calgary than other cities in my experience.

When old 8st station was in service. I used to get out of my train and run over to McDonald's grab a coffee and some breakfast, now I do it at 10 street west station when I'm on the 202. Its no big deal as long as the train was not late nobody seemed to mind.

I also run to Timmy's at Somerset and even Crowfoot on my layovers if I feel adventurous..