York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

I hope this hasn't been already cleared up, but I thought I might ask...

Along Steeles Ave., there are signs on most of the bus loops where buses turn back at the city border. I was wondering why they only have the YRT logo on them. For some of the loops, YRT service doesn't run through them at all.

I hope this hasn't been already cleared up, but I thought I might ask...

Along Steeles Ave., there are signs on most of the bus loops where buses turn back at the city border. I was wondering why they only have the YRT logo on them. For some of the loops, YRT service doesn't run through them at all.

Well first if I understand correctly you are talking about TTC stops at loops that are just located a bit north of Steeles right? My response would be that the stops with YRT stickers were either 1) former stops before service changes, 2) only limited use ie. rush hour or GO shuttles or 3) when the Region applied the stickers to the stops they wanted all the stops located near and around YRT services labelled.

Well first if I understand correctly you are talking about TTC stops at loops that are just located a bit north of Steeles right? My response would be that the stops with YRT stickers were either 1) former stops before service changes, 2) only limited use ie. rush hour or GO shuttles or 3) when the Region applied the stickers to the stops they wanted all the stops located near and around YRT services labelled.

I believe what he is inquiring about the actual signage on the loop. Example is the TTC Loop at Esna-Steeles. There is a large Sign at the front of the loop with a YRT logo on it.

Yeah, I'm talking about these blue permanent signs (It's a backlit sign that sits on concrete) that name the loops, like they say "McCowan-Steeles Bus Loop" or "Bayview-Steeles Bus Loop" with the York Region and YRT logos on the top left and right corners, respectively. They went up about two months ago.

I'm just kind of confused why they wouldn't have the TTC logo anywhere on them. I think they should credit the service that runs through them, not who built the signs. xD

Yeah, I'm talking about these blue permanent signs (It's a backlit sign that sits on concrete) that name the loops, like they say "McCowan-Steeles Bus Loop" or "Bayview-Steeles Bus Loop" with the York Region and YRT logos on the top left and right corners, respectively. They went up about two months ago.

I'm just kind of confused why they wouldn't have the TTC logo anywhere on them. I think they should credit the service that runs through them, not who built the signs. xD

well, they are YRT property, are they not? its probably the same reason that there are no TTC stops north of Steeles, and the TTC buses stop at the YRT stops.

well, they are YRT property, are they not? its probably the same reason that there are no TTC stops north of Steeles, and the TTC buses stop at the YRT stops.

interestingly, 53 stops along elson between mccowan and markham are in yrt territory yet ttc bus stop poles are erected.

interestingly, 53 stops along elson between mccowan and markham are in yrt territory yet ttc bus stop poles are erected.

That's because the service on that loop was originated by the TTC, and not YRT. YRT has no say in the service levels there.

A similar arrangement used to be found on Keele north of Steeles - the TTC began the service north of Steeles to the CN yard well before Vaughan Transit existed, and so the stops used to be TTC stops.

Dan

Validated fare media policy change

Effective December 17, 2010, in an effort to eliminate fare evasion, any customer boarding a YRT vehicle with a validated ticket will be required to place the ticket in the fare box. A new transfer will be provided to the customer upon request.

Thank you for your co-operation.

They finally posted this

Validated fare media policy change

Effective December 17, 2010, in an effort to eliminate fare evasion, any customer boarding a YRT vehicle with a validated ticket will be required to place the ticket in the fare box. A new transfer will be provided to the customer upon request.

Thank you for your co-operation.

No one told me about this (and I haven't been on a YRT bus since the last school day which was December 16 for me... and yesterday for the first time when I boarded a YRT bus, they told me about this. Why can't they post this up earlier?

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/local/article/926570

Richmond Hill woman affected by transit change

Not happy with changes. Richmond Hill resident Marisol Pestana is not happy with changes York Region Transit has made to its Mobility Plus services. The visually impaired travel agent says she has used the door-to-door services for 20 years, but now feels unsafe having to venture out on her own in unfamiliar surroundings. Staff Photo/Nick Iwanyshyn

Changes made to Mobility Plus last year were aimed at improving efficiency while giving riders more independence, but at least one Richmond Hill resident says her life is more difficult now.

After 20 years of receiving door-to-door service from the region’s accessible public transit service, Marisol Pestana was surprised to learn she was no longer eligible.

Her visual impairment presents difficulties finding bus stops and waiting for transfers, Ms Pestana said.

But that Is what she needs to do to get to her job as a travel agent in Aurora, which also requires she visit clients across the Greater Toronto Area.

Mobility Plus will take her door-to-door within Richmond Hill, but if she is going elsewhere, its buses will only pick her up from, or take her to, the bus terminal.

All those transfers make Ms Pestana’s trips more complicated and longer.

It now takes her two to three hours to take Mobility Plus to Richmond Hill Centre, then take Viva either north to Newmarket or south to Finch station.

The changes were made when it became clear Mobility Plus buses were overlapping Viva routes — particularly along Yonge Street — and that some riders could be accommodated on Viva’s vehicles, Mobility Plus manager Sharon Doyle said.

In one instance, it tracked a rider who would take Mobility Plus from Newmarket to Finch Station and back.

It cost the region $1,200 a week, instead of $120 for the rider to use regular transit, Ms Doyle said, noting Viva buses are accessible and have trained drivers.

“We’re all just a big family and we try to use the resources we have,” she said.

Last March, the region conducted audits of its Mobility Plus users and decided who would be eligible for what they call the Mobility Plus—One Family of Services pass.

Clients were sent ID cards that allow them to pay a single fare as they move between the various services.

Ms Pestana was surprised to receive her card and received little explanation.

However, every client received a letter and was paired with an inspector, who would accompany riders on their first few trips until they were comfortable with details such as getting a Viva ticket and where to stand for the bus, Ms Doyle said.

Understandably, some people have been wary, but most have adapted well, she added.

York Region Transit and Viva can be more flexible since Mobility Plus riders are required to book a trip 24 hours in advance and can’t be guaranteed the time requested, Ms Doyle said.

Riders with disabilities that prevent them from using the regular service will not be forced to do so, she added.

But Ms Pestana disagrees with the region’s decision.

After providing the region letters from her doctor, she is appealing the policy switch requiring her to use York’s regular transit service.

Beyond the obvious inconveniences, the new rules make travelling less safe, she said.

Some disabled riders have moved closer to schools or places of worship they often attend since it was becoming difficult to use transit, Ms Pestana said.

Of the 27,000 Mobility Plus trips last month, fewer than 100 used the new pass, Ms Doyle said.

Got to ride 1023 today and noticed that on the front doors there's a black rod that connects the two sides of the door frame (on the top glass panel). Does anyone know if the other LFRs also have it? I only noticed it today and don't remember seeing it on 1022 when I rode it early December.

That's part of window frame.

http://www.york.ca/Regional+Government/Age...pdf+TSC+1-1.htm

1. Southeast Transit Division, Bus Operations and Maintenance Contract Extension, Miller Transit Limited

January 6, 2011, recommending that:

1. Regional Council approve the extension of the Southeast Transit Division (Richmond Hill/Markham/Whitchurch-Stouffville) contract with Miller Transit Limited in the amount of $162,589,739.24, taxes excluded, which is based on the proposed start-up activities and estimated billable hours.

2. The term shall commence upon receiving Regional Council approval with the start-up activities for the Conventional service, and an operating term of five years starting October 2, 2011, expiring on October 1, 2016.

3. A new form of contract be executed by Miller Transit and York Region.

4. The Region extend its lease agreement with Miller Paving for the existing facility and land lease for 8050 Woodbine Avenue for an additional six months from April 2, 2016 to October 1, 2016, based on the terms and conditions of the existing sub-lease.

Also, November 2010 ridership stats:

http://www.york.ca/Regional+Government/Age...f+TSC+1-rid.htm

Umm.. just came across this.. wonder which buses???

Page 9: http://www.york.ca/NR/rdonlyres/35gg64nzjx...+pedestrian.pdf

Audible Pedestrian Warning System Pilot Project on YRT/VIVA Buses

A pilot project is being conducted to install Audible Pedestrian Warning

System equipment on YRT/VIVA buses

Regional staff is performing a three-month pilot program of an audible pedestrian

warning system on five buses in 2011.

The audible pedestrian warning system is a device on the bus that warns pedestrians that

the bus is making a right or left-hand turn. When the bus begins to turn, a signal is sent

from the sensors in the steering wheel. When the turning radius reaches 45 degrees, an

audible warning announcement will be made. An exterior mounted speaker system is

used to make the automated announcement. The pedestrian warning message is factory

set to “Caution bus turning, pedestrians look both ways”. The audible level is based on

ambient noise sampling rate, and can be adjusted to be quieter in residential

neighbourhoods.

The audible pedestrian warning system for public transit vehicles is expected to have

several benefits. It reduces risk and provides advance warning for pedestrians that a bus

is turning. The criteria for success of the pilot will be based on the performance and

reliability of the system and will be designed to also test for community acceptance. The

outcome of the pilot project will determine whether staff will recommend outfitting the

entire Regional bus fleet of approximately 430 buses. Either way, the outcome of the

pilot will be reported to Regional Council.

I think the buses should be able to wipe my ass and solve all of my problems too. I find this ridiculous, its your own fault if you get hit by a turning bus.

Yeah, pretty much. It's already more than annoying when buses announced it on what dest. it's going when picking up at a curb!

Umm.. just came across this.. wonder which buses???

That'll be interesting at terminals, bus-after-bus at rush announcing this. Also, even though they say it can be made to be quiet in neighbourhoods, I can see residents complaining, especially if they live on an intersection.