York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

That's really fast, usually I would see it a couple of times per winter season since the beginning of Viva. This season I've only seen it once <_<

Ha, 5123 stalked me this season, saw it a good 15 times :P. Last season I only saw 5156 three times, and only managed one crappy photo of it.

Now before someone accuses me of trespassing. There were no signs that indicated "NO TRESPASSING" or "DANGER" or "CONSTRUCTION" or "DO NOT ENTER" or "24HR CAMERA SURVEILLANCE" or even roping/gates to prevent pedestrians from entering the site. Aside from a few pylons that were in place to prevent vehicular access from mistakenly entering the busway at Birchmount, there was nothing to suggest that it was illegal or dangerous to walk through the station.

The station is almost done except for a few finishing touches.

One thing that concerns me is the lack of signage to identify the station name. And it appears to be lacking in renderings of these shelters too! It would be nice if they had backlit signage of station names like the VIVA Phase I stops.

The shared busway/pedestrian walkway features unique park-like lighting. Surprisingly bright, I was a bit worried when they opted against conventional street lighting for the busway.

DSC02283.jpg

A look at the brightness of the new stations. Very bright considering they didn't go with flourescent tube lighting,

DSC02285.jpg

A general look at the platforms. Note the tactile strips on the floor of the platform edge. Things still to be installed include two-way emergency communication boxes between riders and YRT Transit Control and telephones.

DSC02291.jpg

The heated enclosed shelter portion of the station.

DSC02288.jpg

Inside the heated enclosed shelter portion of the station. Needs more lighting IMO.

DSC02289.jpg

Assessing the narrowest part of the platform. Not too narrow!

DSC02293.jpg

Comparing the old VIVA shelters to the mammoth-sized new ones. Odd wayfinding signage.

DSC02295.jpg

Now before someone accuses me of trespassing. There were no signs that indicated "NO TRESPASSING" or "DANGER" or "CONSTRUCTION" or "DO NOT ENTER" or "24HR CAMERA SURVEILLANCE" or even roping/gates to prevent pedestrians from entering the site. Aside from a few pylons that were in place to prevent vehicular access from mistakenly entering the busway at Birchmount, there was nothing to suggest that it was illegal or dangerous to walk through the station.

Thanks for sharing these photos! Don't worry, I've been on the roadway before too: http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=228552

Heard from a First Student driver today that FS is going to scrap their radios and go fully Init/phone like the rest of the system (AFAIK).

Not surprised, those CB radio cost alot of money to air it and Region refuse to pay it.

I've also met up a FS driver on 98 to see the EZ-Rider BRT, he told me they will be moving to different garage in Spring, if all goes according to plan.

Tonight, there was some incident on 1063 on Yonge/Bernard as 4-ways flasher are on. Police and YRT was there.

Not surprised, those CB radio cost alot of money to air it and Region refuse to pay it.

I've also met up a FS driver on 98 to see the EZ-Rider BRT, he told me they will be moving to different garage in Spring, if all goes according to plan.

Tonight, there was some incident on 1063 on Yonge/Bernard as 4-ways flasher are on. Police and YRT was there.

they are moving to the Region owned yard on Yonge street, same as the Viva location. As for the CB radios', i'm surprised they did not remove them earlier, as you stated, they cost quite a bit to operate, and the region won't pay a dime for it. I also saw 1063 around 8:35pm.... same thing. My understanding it had to do with a pedestrian or vehicle contact.

As for the CB radios', i'm surprised they did not remove them earlier, as you stated, they cost quite a bit to operate, and the region won't pay a dime for it.

Well, I know FS kept it for so long because of their school bus fleet back then. This also an instant radio to cause bus enthusiast to report suspect, now it will take longer for them when using the Init!

Well, I know FS kept it for so long because of their school bus fleet back then. This also an instant radio to cause bus enthusiast to report suspect, now it will take longer for them when using the Init!

This is what drivers are concerned about, they're used to being able to contact other drivers to report route issues or transfers. For the transfer part, they define it as part of good customer service and feel that the loss of the radios will compromise this, as drivers will have to go through the office first adding time to the process.

On another topic, the YRT/Viva/Zum stops at York University will be moved within the next month about a block north along Ian MacDonald just north of Chimneystack Road ( http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43....,331.47,,0,8.43 ). Construction of the subway expansion necessitates the closing of Ian MacDonald north of the south York Boulevard intersection up to the present YRT stops. A diversion road is being constructed through the present York Boulevard parking lot and up back to Ian MacDonald (as an extension of Vanier Lane) just north of the closure. Construction of the new stops has begun.

This is what drivers are concerned about, they're used to being able to contact other drivers to report route issues or transfers. For the transfer part, they define it as part of good customer service and feel that the loss of the radios will compromise this, as drivers will have to go through the office first adding time to the process.

On another topic, the YRT/Viva/Zum stops at York University will be moved within the next month about a block north along Ian MacDonald just north of Chimneystack Road ( http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43....,331.47,,0,8.43 ). Construction of the subway expansion necessitates the closing of Ian MacDonald north of the south York Boulevard intersection up to the present YRT stops. A diversion road is being constructed through the present York Boulevard parking lot and up back to Ian MacDonald (as an extension of Vanier Lane) just north of the closure. Construction of the new stops has begun.

I was wondering what they were building there....

Don't worry.. as far as I know, it's not pedestrians they don't want on there...

Any idea on their policy regarding bicycles?

I'm also not a fan of where the vending machine is...seriously. Why not just put one at each platform? The residents running from their condos to catch a bus certainly won't want to cross the Transitway located at the other end of the platform then run back, especially if they're in a rush... I've already emailed YRT.

I was wondering what they were building there....

Thus, Viva Purple buses will go southbound along Ian MacDonald, east on the new Vanier Lane extension, south on the new road to York Boulevard. My concern is about that right-turn from the Vanier extension to the new road for the articulated buses.

http://central.apps01.yorku.ca/maps/wp-con...ice-Nov2010.pdf Bottom of the first page.

I was also incorrect. The stop north of Chimneystack will be serving Zum only, new stops SOUTH of Chimneystack and north of Vanier will serve YRT and Viva.

Thus, Viva Purple buses will go southbound along Ian MacDonald, east on the new Vanier Lane extension, south on the new road to York Boulevard. My concern is about that right-turn from the Vanier extension to the new road for the articulated buses.

http://central.apps01.yorku.ca/maps/wp-con...ice-Nov2010.pdf Bottom of the first page.

I was also incorrect. The stop north of Chimneystack will be serving Zum only, new stops SOUTH of Chimneystack and north of Vanier will serve YRT and Viva.

I was eye-balling the area the other day, and it looks like there is moe than enough room for 60 footer to turn there....