Transit Windsor

MaT

http://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/news/lasalle-mayor-says-transit-and-land-acquisitions-are-two-big-highlights-for-2018-1.8635987

I believe the ridership stat is most likely per month and not per day. If that was per day, that would be on par with the bigger routes in windsor(aside from the 1C and the 2 which are bigger)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MaT said:

Transit windsor is testing a nova lfs artic for a month for feasibility and maybe purchasing. Heres a few screenshots from the windsor star.

Screenshot_20190206-233330_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190206-233346_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190206-233552_Samsung Internet.jpg

When? And should I make a trip there soon? It appears to be the SEPTA spec artic, which would be a hybrid.

7 hours ago, Chris W said:

When? And should I make a trip there soon? It appears to be the SEPTA spec artic, which would be a hybrid.

This makes the most sense, as this very same artic just demoed with CATA in Michigan last month and Windsor is almost a straight shot down I-96 from Lansing.

Ya i seen that on the wiki cuz i wanted to see what year it was. I think that the trial will go good and i bet well end up buying the demo(my prediction). Im gonna go look for it after im done work to see if i can get pictures of it. I wanna ride it later too.

On 2/7/2019 at 6:17 PM, Chris W said:

It's the one built for SEPTA. If one of the Windsor guys can get the full VIN, that would be much appreciated.

The VIN for the Nova artic in Windsor is 4RKYS92Y1D4500275, built  2/13, the number 7300 is seen inside above the front windshield, so what is shown on Wiki for SEPTA #7301 is not correct. As for it might be on the road that remains to be seen as it has to be safety and plated.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bernie said:

The VIN for the Nova artic in Windsor is 4RKYS92Y1D4500275, built  2/13, the number 7300 is seen inside above the front windshield, so what is shown on Wiki for SEPTA #7301 is not correct. As for it might be on the road that remains to be seen as it has to be safety and plated.

Beautiful. Thanks Bernie. I'm planning to head there on Friday and hopefully 7300 is out.

On 2/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, Bernie said:

The same bus (or at least a similar one) made an appearance just "north" of the border ~2 years ago. Here she is, inside and out:

DSCN2460.thumb.JPG.c3d91ad3d713ad829be764da072f4815.JPG

DSCN2455.thumb.JPG.310a2bac30461b3f23459cef5b915ee0.JPG

DDOT had just put 10 New Flyer artics into service, so not sure if there was serious interest in Nova products.

It's definitely SEPTA spec -- this same unit is likely the one now in Windsor.

I know ridership on the 5 Dominion has surged, but I have trouble picturing an artic on that route. 1C Transway and 2 Crosstown, definitely -- especially if/when they simplify the western end of those routes.

Keep us posted! Has Transit Windsor demo'ed artics before?

• Like 1

TW has leased artics on many occasions for a month at a time, namely for race shuttles and fireworks shuttles. The info is on the TW wiki if you're interested. Also i found this as well in the news. The 5 and 7 ridership have doubled.

Screenshot_20190215-205433_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hopefully this will lead to other improvements aside from just increased frequencies. (Such as more lines, better routing, later runs)

When i lived in Windsor, and started my first job (about 6 years ago now) at a store on Walker road, i remember boarding the 7 bus at about 10pm and hearing the driver inform me it was the last time he was doing that run and going forward the route would stop just before 7pm. There’s no other east/west route in that end of the city and i had to walk home if i couldn’t get a ride, and none of the roads on the way home had sidewalks, which lead to a couple scary moments.

Definitely didn’t leave a great impression of windsor’s transit system for me, but maybe this is a turning point for them. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Effectively doubling the 7's frequency to 30 minutes should help a lot with the ridership.

As for the doubling of ridership on the 5, I agree that it shouldn't get articulated buses at this point, not with its base frequency at 25 minutes. But it might be more useful to run an express route from downtown to St Clair College, instead of all the students stuck on a 35 minute local route. If they added 2 buses, they could have 15 minute service on the local 5, or have an express route operate with 2 buses every 20 minutes from downtown. Where do most of the students for the college come from - local stops along the 5, or from other parts of the city (transferring to the 5 at the terminal)?

Articulated buses would mostly likely go on the 1C or 2 - both routes are already at 10 minute frequencies, and adding more buses on those long routes would have a small impact to capacity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...