TTC Nova Bus Fleet Refurbs & Retirements Tracking

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

There had been a severe workplace injury that occurred specifically on that bus. Ministry of labour investigation has the bus off the grid for about 2 years (I might be mistaken about this time off). After being cleared, the bus returned to TTC. But with being out of revenue service for quite a while, the bus needed received MTO inspections and to be safetied before being put back into service.

That would explain it.

9 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Do we know what kind of rebuilt they are doing on these buses? It seems like they only want to keep the Novas for 13 years before they hit the scarp yard

Buses are way more expensive and don't even last longer anymore. All that engineering, specifications, and a drawn out RFP just to last 13 years. I understand it's industry standard, but still. I guess I'm still stuck in the GMs and how long they lasted , even before their first rebuild. 

9 hours ago, FlyerD901 said:

Buses are way more expensive and don't even last longer anymore. All that engineering, specifications, and a drawn out RFP just to last 13 years. I understand it's industry standard, but still. I guess I'm still stuck in the GMs and how long they lasted , even before their first rebuild. 

Everyone always puts the GMs on a pedestal, thinking they lasted over 20 years naturally.

It was a shit ton of expensive labour, performed several times over. Bulkheads were still replaced piecemeal long before Gunn showed up.

If the people controlling the money were to invoke austerity measures again, the current fleet would last as long as well.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1