HandyDart

Blue Bus Fan

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
23 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

Sorry to revive this tread by I spotted 18753, 18758 and 18777 in service and they looked exactly the same to the 177xx units

Meaning they were on a ford transit chassis with a microbird body

I've recently seen low-numbered 177xxs with what appears to be the same Chevrolet/Girardin body as the '14-'16 ones - highest I saw was 17708, but there could be more.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know we don't really keep up with the HandyDART fleet here since it's not super relevant to the other public transit things that get discussed, but out of my own interest I've started keeping a log of vehicles I've spotted, and will try to keep the wiki page updated as necessary. Few interesting tidbits:

• For 2018 Chevy/Girardin units, highest I've seen so far is 18723. That differs from the RFP mentioned here last year, which I believe had the option of 20 of them arriving this year. Not sure how many there will be total.
  • For 2018 Ford/Girardin units, highest I've seen so far is 18779. Based on that RFP those should go up to 18790, but since the Chevy/Girardin count is already different I can't say if that's still the case.
  • There's still a few T300s, T700s and T800s in service but I imagine they won't be around much longer. I haven't seen any T500s or T600s recently.

If anyone knows more specifics about how many HandyDART shuttles are coming this year (or previous years - especially for all the T units since I've yet to find a good breakdown of those by year/model) please let me know!

2 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Is there a photo of the Community Shuttle (S)1321 that was recently relegated to HandyDart service? That's probably the first that I heard of such a re-assignment in modern times.

One in Western Canadian Transportation Lounge facebook group. Destination signs and stop request taken out.

On 10/29/2018 at 10:16 PM, ThatBusGuy said:

I know we don't really keep up with the HandyDART fleet here since it's not super relevant to the other public transit things that get discussed, but out of my own interest I've started keeping a log of vehicles I've spotted, and will try to keep the wiki page updated as necessary. Few interesting tidbits:

• For 2018 Chevy/Girardin units, highest I've seen so far is 18723. That differs from the RFP mentioned here last year, which I believe had the option of 20 of them arriving this year. Not sure how many there will be total.
  • For 2018 Ford/Girardin units, highest I've seen so far is 18779. Based on that RFP those should go up to 18790, but since the Chevy/Girardin count is already different I can't say if that's still the case.
  • There's still a few T300s, T700s and T800s in service but I imagine they won't be around much longer. I haven't seen any T500s or T600s recently.

If anyone knows more specifics about how many HandyDART shuttles are coming this year (or previous years - especially for all the T units since I've yet to find a good breakdown of those by year/model) please let me know!

Just spotted 18780 on 49th avenue 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

New HandyDART shuttles have started arriving. Spotted 19759 driving north on Hwy 17 near Tsawwassen

Some are already in service. Those of you in WCTL will find this photo familiar. Action shot of a 19700 in service at Bridgeport last week. Looks like the Ford Transit is TransLink's new platform of choice for Girardin MB-IIs.

Not sure if previous sets had these but this one (and presumably others in its set) has a reverse buzzer instead of a reverse alarm. I was wondering where that strange buzz was coming from until I saw it backing up.

20190409_164834.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Some are already in service. Those of you in WCTL will find this photo familiar. Action shot of a 19700 in service at Bridgeport last week. Looks like the Ford Transit is TransLink's new platform of choice for Girardin MB-IIs.

Not sure if previous sets had these but this one (and presumably others in its set) has a reverse buzzer instead of a reverse alarm. I was wondering where that strange buzz was coming from until I saw it backing up.

20190409_164834.jpg

1. Are these ones diesel or gas? I wonder if BC Transit would consider these for HandyDARTs since Arboc doesn't offer diesel anymore. 

2. Speaking of ARBOC, why doesn't Translink buy ARBOC for the HandyDART fleet? 

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

1. Are these ones diesel or gas? I wonder if BC Transit would consider these for HandyDARTs since Arboc doesn't offer diesel anymore. 

2. Speaking of ARBOC, why doesn't Translink buy ARBOC for the HandyDART fleet? 

1. Gas. TransLink doesn't seem to be interested in diesel cutaways anymore since they were buying gas Chevys and GMCs when the 4500 diesels were still being made.

2. Not sure. Might be too expensive.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Thomasw said:

look what we have here

450488980_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.1d7f478d8c1bbc78c340a6358c6068af.png

seems that the 2014 order of Chevrolet/Girardin G4500/MBC-II does go from 14751-14789 but from 14751-14792+

I've seen 14793 in Cloverdale. Keep meaning to update the wiki to include up to that. What's really strange is that I recently saw 14750 in North Vancouver. Not sure if it's an oddity because that was the first time they split by 50s instead of 100s - they've definitely stopped doing that now otherwise we'd have a 18450.

I'd definitely like to contact Translink sometime to ask about getting a bunch of specs on the Handydart fleet (including exact order sizes and models/years manufactured for the older T units) to add to the wiki, but I have no clue who I would contact specifically about that.

13 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

I've seen 14793 in Cloverdale. Keep meaning to update the wiki to include up to that. What's really strange is that I recently saw 14750 in North Vancouver. Not sure if it's an oddity because that was the first time they split by 50s instead of 100s - they've definitely stopped doing that now otherwise we'd have a 18450.

I'd definitely like to contact Translink sometime to ask about getting a bunch of specs on the Handydart fleet (including exact order sizes and models/years manufactured for the older T units) to add to the wiki, but I have no clue who I would contact specifically about that.

I'd also like to know what engines the newer Fords use. Definitely a gas V6 but there were 3 offered in that model over its production run...

21 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

I'd also like to know what engines the newer Fords use. Definitely a gas V6 but there were 3 offered in that model over its production run...

More than likely a 3.7 V6. I saw a video from NW Bus Sales on Youtube and their Ford ADA shuttle bus had a 3.7. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...