Peterborough Transit

OC Transpo 8238

17 minutes ago, DanT said:

The Trent Central Student Association posted a photo of a D60LFR that will be hitting the streets soon on Facebook, I assume its owned by Trent U and not the city.

The Trent Express routes are operated by Peterborough Transit, so unless the Student Union expects to run a parallel service, I would assume the bus has to be operated by Peterborough Transit.

Interesting they purchased a D60LFR, since they just finished making their fleet 100% Nova. The bus is likely ex-MiWay (Mississauga) since they have been retiring most of their units recently, but I'd have to see the VIN to confirm. It also appears to have received a refurbishment.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

The Trent Express routes are operated by Peterborough Transit, so unless the Student Union expects to run a parallel service, I would assume the bus has to be operated by Peterborough Transit.

Interesting they purchased a D60LFR, since they just finished making their fleet 100% Nova. The bus is likely ex-MiWay (Mississauga) since they have been retiring most of their units recently, but I'd have to see the VIN to confirm. It also appears to have received a refurbishment.

There were a couple buses parked in Mississauga at, I believe, City View. That is most definitely an ex Mississauga D60LFR, as evidenced by the grey skirts and the vent slot on the left side of the destination sign.

I also noticed that Peterborough Transit's Twitter handle is tagged in the tweet. This means it probably is going to be a Peterborough Transit bus.

So there's going to be extra money in the city's budget this time around for transit but more so for enhancing current operations than any new routes or additional services for current routes.

There's also funding for three new vehicles.  Page 326 of the capital works budget talks about 3 new transit buses and 2 new community buses.

https://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/9066030-peterborough-budgeting-extra-money-in-2019-for-transit-improvements/

no details on any changes to fares.  Which reminds, I wonder if they've finally gotten the low income earners transit pass into the budget or whether jones had put it off for yet another year.  Might have to track down the budget details through the city website

Also the city is controlling the data collected in the current transit survey that finishes today so the provider won't be able to use it or sell it to 3rd parties.

• 2 months later...

Rumour doing the rounds that  a very senior head has rolled at transit but nobody has any idea why.

If the rumour is true some-one competent and improving the system has gone while the incompetents include the very top of the tree have kept their jobs.

10 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

I'm meaning the New Flyer 60 foot that Trent University advertised.

According to a good contact at Peterborough Transit, the bus only demonstrated for about 2 hours. It was in rough shape, had not been refurbished and Peterborough was not interested in it at all. The University jumped the gun by posting the photo. Also, the garage is tight on space as it is and barely has enough room for all the current buses.

Peterborough is undergoing a transit study right ow (IBI) and one of the items being analyzed is a new garage. If built, I am sure that it would be able to handle artics.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Peterborough is undergoing a transit study right ow (IBI) and one of the items being analyzed is a new garage. If built, I am sure that it would be able to handle artics. 

I believe the bus garage is separate from transit review as it's been on council's agenda for sometime now (several years) and they have a new location for it and the works yard in general and that's the old Coach Canada yard on Webber Ave.

According to the local paper the work for the new yard was supposed to be completed in Fall last year.

https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/news-story/8904162-new-peterborough-public-works-yard-could-cost-23-5m/

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, austin_medic said:

Appears the transit app has been delayed to the end of 2019 now....

We'll see if that timeline can stick, I don't think it will personally.

one day Peterborough Transit will catch up with the 21st century - just before we hit the 22nd.

• 3 months later...

Peterborough Transit will have some new Novas on the streets next month.

They have an automated system for securing the wheelchairs and will be interesting to see how it goes.  One respondent to the tweet says they've been more hassle then they're worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

heading up to Wal-Mart this morning and there was bus turning showed "Wal-mart" as it's destination rather than Chemong and this was about 10mins before the regular #2 would have arrived.

Have seen this bus "route" before but that's nothing on the transit website about it (well that I could see)

If Transit runs an extra service, why don't the actually tell people about?

then it might actually be worth the effort.

16 hours ago, Marc said:

heading up to Wal-Mart this morning and there was bus turning showed "Wal-mart" as it's destination rather than Chemong and this was about 10mins before the regular #2 would have arrived.

Have seen this bus "route" before but that's nothing on the transit website about it (well that I could see)

If Transit runs an extra service, why don't the actually tell people about?

then it might actually be worth the effort.

From my knowledge it only runs when supervisors deem it is necessary to meet the demand, usually after drivers complain on the radio a few times that their bus is at capacity only a few minutes after leaving the terminal.  

It uses one of the on-call drivers they have hanging around at the garage, which limits their ability to send out another bus if one breaks down in a timely manner. 

There is a similar ghost route for Lansdowne Place as well, usually you can see it running around mid-day on shopping holidays such as boxing day, especially if the roads are bad and the routes are 20-30 minutes late. 

Transit's PR on social media has been sub par for pretty much its entire existence on Twitter, occasionally they get somebody on there who will reply to people, but most of the time they don't bother posting about things like this. If there is delays it can take anywhere from a few minutes to over an hour for them to get around to posting about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Articulated said:

Peterborough Transit has at least two new 2019 Nova buses in service. Spotted 7819 and 7919 in service on Sunday. Does anyone know if they received 3 this year as quoted above, or a different amount?

49489638253_c4e40522dd.jpg

7819 and 7919 have been in service for a few weeks now (I saw  one was a peak service on the Chemong) but for what ever reason the the automatic system for securing wheelchairs is still out of service.

haven't seen 8019.

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, Articulated said:

Peterborough Transit has at least two new 2019 Nova buses in service. Spotted 7819 and 7919 in service on Sunday. Does anyone know if they received 3 this year as quoted above, or a different amount?

49489638253_c4e40522dd.jpg

8019 is in service (spotted it on the Highland this afternoon) so that would confirm there were 3 new buses delivered.

• 3 months later...

Peterborough Transit are making route changes supposedly in reponse to covid-19 and as the saying goes, nothing is the same any more.  To put it more bluntly what a f***ing mess.

Want to go to Wal-mart on Chemong to do your shopping?

Forget taking the #2 bus.

You have to take one of the community buses (a 15 seater).  Not sure they actually stopped to thing about people who get on with groceries and don't want to go halfway around the city to get home.

https://www.peterborough.ca/en/city-services/routes-and-schedules_2020.aspx

no online maps yet only the schedules with some of the stops.  Supposedly printed maps at the terminal

• Thanks 2

Just have a look at this delightful mess. And people here in Peterborough think Kingston's system is a complicated dogs breakfest...

https://www.peterborough.ca/en/city-services/resources/Documents/Transit/TransitMapWeb.pdf

Congrats Peterborough, you've managed to make the routes take longer to get you places, pack more people onto a single bus, and made them less frequent ALL in a single swish of your hands.

None of the transfers will be timed at all, any buses going to the terminal show up pretty well whenever they wish, all of them show up at completely different times, and the transfers stay the same as they currently are, max of 2 buses per trip, even though with this spaghetti mess you could end up taking more than that. I guess it doesn't really affect anyone with a monthly pass though since you can ride unlimited number of buses with it.. 

They can try to time transfers, although with the poor quality of customer service skills most of their drivers possess I doubt that will be flying with some of them. I think there will be cases where it is literally impossible with the proposed timetables. It seems no thought was given to this.

They are "planning to launch" their Google Transit tool as well soon apparently. Maybe that will help with understanding the system.

It's unclear what roads 6B and 7A and 7B will take, using the same color for these routes with no real clarity on where they are going is kinda funny to me. I'd assume they are just shorter versions of the 6 and the 7 which span the entire city.

2 hours ago, austin_medic said:

Just have a look at this delightful mess. And people here in Peterborough think Kingston's system is a complicated dogs breakfest...

https://www.peterborough.ca/en/city-services/resources/Documents/Transit/TransitMapWeb.pdf

Congrats Peterborough, you've managed to make the routes take longer to get you places, pack more people onto a single bus, and made them less frequent ALL in a single swish of your hands.

None of the transfers will be timed at all, any buses going to the terminal show up pretty well whenever they wish, all of them show up at completely different times, and the transfers stay the same as they currently are, max of 2 buses per trip, even though with this spaghetti mess you could end up taking more than that. I guess it doesn't really affect anyone with a monthly pass though since you can ride unlimited number of buses with it.. 

They can try to time transfers, although with the poor quality of customer service skills most of their drivers possess I doubt that will be flying with some of them. I think there will be cases where it is literally impossible with the proposed timetables. It seems no thought was given to this.

They are "planning to launch" their Google Transit tool as well soon apparently. Maybe that will help with understanding the system.

It's unclear what roads 6B and 7A and 7B will take, using the same color for these routes with no real clarity on where they are going is kinda funny to me. I'd assume they are just shorter versions of the 6 and the 7 which span the entire city.

Ugh it's worse than what I thought and shows no consideration whatso ever for riders - especially the elderly and the disabled.

Transit was encouraging riders with disabilities to take the route buses instead of the handivan but this is going force them back on the vans.

You've got users of mobility devices who would get the Chemong from the old St Peters, you'd have seniors who would take the Highland to Portage place to do shopping and now they are all utterly screwed.

And what of people who use transit to get to work?  They're not going to have any consistency in the trips.

And the drivers aren't happy with it either.  They're not being given much time to learn the new routes and think it's a big mess.

Please come back for Jim Kimble, all is forgiven.

Oh these changes would explain why the link bus between Peterborough and Lakefield is starting at Trent not Portage Place as originally planned.

second edit.

Just seen an e-mail from a city staffer who says the changes are due to covid-19 but doesn't know how long they will stay in place and gives the excuse about reducing crowding at the terminal.

somehow I don't think think they will be temporary....

• Thanks 1

I'm sure it'll become permanent, maybe with some adjustments. This is quite a big step away from the ways of old, probably will be forced down our throats just like the Nicholls Park/Trent East Bank merger debacle back in 2012. Once the politicians see their seats in jeopardy they'll probably backpedal this as hard as they can.

It's quite funny on the transit route review website it still says public info center 2 is happening spring 2020, although if this is any indication I'd assume they are bypassing public opinion this time just like they did with the Trent/Nicholls Park gongshow and pushing it through to disastrous results.

26 minutes ago, austin_medic said:

I'm sure it'll become permanent, maybe with some adjustments. This is quite a big step away from the ways of old, probably will be forced down our throats just like the Nicholls Park/Trent East Bank merger debacle back in 2012. Once the politicians see their seats in jeopardy they'll probably backpedal this as hard as they can.

It's quite funny on the transit route review website it still says public info center 2 is happening spring 2020, although if this is any indication I'd assume they are bypassing public opinion this time just like they did with the Trent/Nicholls Park gongshow and pushing it through to disastrous results.

I've sent an e-mail to my city councillors asking the council kill this before it even starts.

Would like to know who's behind this sudden push and whether Lauri Stratton (ops manager who replaced Martin earlier this year) is behind it.

I wonder if they've factored in student requirements.

Person I know has a teenage daughter who goes to TASS.

She's now going to need to get three buses to get there and home and if there's no linking between the buses it's gonna be real fun.