General CTrain Discussion

18 hours ago, 1604 said:

Ah, was wondering why some construction workers were fiddling around one of the covered shelters last night.

I do wonder what exactly this means though - can't quite picture it: "An open bay will be added near the station entrance to increase space making it easier to access the platform."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TimmyC62 said:

I do wonder what exactly this means though - can't quite picture it: "An open bay will be added near the station entrance to increase space making it easier to access the platform."

I assume that meant making the area of the platform closest to the station building a little more open and spacious as that particular area seems a little crowded with various objects currently.

• Like 3

A local media outlet appears to have pictures of a derailed CTrain this afternoon on the Red Line in the NW. That's what the headline says, anyway. Transit calls it a track circuit issue. Regardless, no service between Brentwood and Crowfoot as of now.

https://calgary.citynews.ca/2023/04/21/calgary-ctrain-derailed-crowfoot-brentwood/

20 hours ago, 1604 said:

Over three hours into this disruption and the platform displays don't have any information shown about it. Haven't heard any PAs either.

Where is the communication?

Nowhere to be seen perhaps….. is it just me or the level of communication and transparency being more obtuse and opaque more recently with situations/events like this?

• Like 4

image.thumb.png.094076f6c76824aac0289724e9c35a09.png

It’s obviously under investigation, and they’re going to keep it tight lipped about it. 

I’m pretty sure it’s a lot more than the C-Trains wheel slipping off the track.

Thankfully it was low speed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1604 said:

Over three hours into this disruption and the platform displays don't have any information shown about it. Haven't heard any PAs either.

Where is the communication?

Can only speak for Brentwood, but they've had this on the monitors for the last several hours, and trains have been making announcements as they pull into the station: 

image.thumb.png.76dbbe8f30a1b15ffb92be179ed62b91.png

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-ctrain-hatchet-suspect-arrested-1.6875913

More security problems on the trains... wasn't the whole recruitment/sheriffs/gravy train & photo ops push, supposed to do something about these things? Kind of hard to boost ridership & get people back onboard CT, when these things keep happening so brazenly.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

A train struck a taxi at 14th Street this morning. Shuttle buses were set up, but by the time my train got there it continued through.

Second day in a row for delays - think I'll work at home tomorrow, need a break!

You mean the taxi struck the train 😉😆

On 6/14/2023 at 10:19 AM, armorand said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-ctrain-hatchet-suspect-arrested-1.6875913

More security problems on the trains... wasn't the whole recruitment/sheriffs/gravy train & photo ops push, supposed to do something about these things? Kind of hard to boost ridership & get people back onboard CT, when these things keep happening so brazenly.

While obviously acute incidents like this still happen, the usual loitering in stationhouses has reduced dramatically in my experience. Brentwood, once a chronic shelter, is empty every time I've used it since the "crackdown", no matter whether it's past 12am or in the middle of the day. Whether it's because the increased policing worked or because the summer weather is encouraging more outdoors "camping" is a different question.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ctrain service for stampede is as follows:

Redline 

Parade day 18 keys will operate midday between 10:00-14:00 with about 10 floater train 

Saturday/Sunday 16 keys will operator midday with increases during peak times

Midday weekdays will be between 8-10 minute frequency 

Blue line 

Parade day 16 keys will operator between 10:00-14:00 with 6 floater trains 

Saturday/Sunday will operate with 10 keys on a 10 minute headway.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vicinity said:

Ctrain service for stampede is as follows:

Redline 

Parade day 18 keys will operate midday between 10:00-14:00 with about 10 floater train 

Saturday/Sunday 16 keys will operator midday with increases during peak times

Midday weekdays will be between 8-10 minute frequency 

Blue line 

Parade day 16 keys will operator between 10:00-14:00 with 6 floater trains 

Saturday/Sunday will operate with 10 keys on a 10 minute headway.

How do floater trains work considering trains can't pass each other? Do they just hang out in sidings?

2 minutes ago, 2102 said:

How do floater trains work considering trains can't pass each other? Do they just hang out in sidings?

In the past, IIRC, they’d have short-turns running between C Track at Victoria Park and 11 Street yard (near Kerby Centre). Is something similar to this still possible?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2102 said:

They actually can pass each other. I’ve seen (and performed) some crazy movements. 

I’ve actually gone around trains in the Northwest, Northeast and west leg. 

for example… I’ve passed a train that was sitting at university station inbound. Using the interlocking at Brentwood pulling into University station on the outbound track crossing back over and continuing inbound. 

last time I checked, they were repairing the new Ctrack (if that’s what they still call it) hopefully it’ll be ready in time for Stampede in the next few days. 

The big difference between the new C track, and the old C track was that the old C track was part of main line and the new C track appears to be a yard (correct me if I’m wrong)

I miss operating Trains and I can’t wait to get back! 😊

• Like 3

The majority of the floater will run between key’s that are in service, and go into service at stations like Centre st going EB on the Ave and 4 st going WB on the ave to help move people after the parade as the trains in service fill up at the first stations 

• Like 4