Ctrain SD160s / U2DCs Mixed Consists spottings

LRT

I don't know what the maintenance history of the U2s is, but being quite a bit older I would suspect that they need a bit more care than the newest SDs.

Dan

That is possible; however, keep in mind the U2's are simpler machines given their age. It can be parallel to comparing the maintenance needs of GM Fishbowl to a newer low floor bus.

And unlike Edmonton, Calgary Transit is not giving the U2's the same level of TLC that perhaps the cars were once privileged with in their more youthful days. Upon closer inspection, the body of a lot of the U2's have quite a few rough spots.

I think the U2s are more reliable in service, less troublesome, better rush hour trains.... I hope they fix them up....

I rode in a mixed consist, the U2 runs great, and seems to have more power up hills....even heard of a operator overspeeding going uphill to Crowfoot.... that's unheard of with a SD consist.

2247-2048-2233 as Key 4 on the 201 today. We had door issues SB at Victoria Park around 1740- that's the second time I've had that happen while riding a mixed consist on that key (same trip too). I was wondering if this could be a problem with the mixed consists, or just coincidence?

2247-2048-2233 as Key 4 on the 201 today. We had door issues SB at Victoria Park around 1740- that's the second time I've had that happen while riding a mixed consist on that key (same trip too). I was wondering if this could be a problem with the mixed consists, or just coincidence?

There were some issues on one of the mixed consists last week. Don't remember the car # for the U2 car.

Most of the U2 cars used for this experiments are rejects, meaning they have something wrong with them. They cannot be used as command cars for one reason or another. CT's solution to problems with U2 cars for problems such as: wipers not working, headlights not working, horn not working, announcements box not working, an operator seat needing replacing, or heat not working is one and the same. Their solution for all this is to take apart the consist and stick the problem car into consist as the center car. It is no surprise that some mixed cars are having problems as generally speaking the U2 cars they are using for them are problem cars.

There were some issues on one of the mixed consists last week. Don't remember the car # for the U2 car.

Most of the U2 cars used for this experiments are rejects, meaning they have something wrong with them. They cannot be used as command cars for one reason or another. CT's solution to problems with U2 cars for problems such as: wipers not working, headlights not working, horn not working, announcements box not working, an operator seat needing replacing, or heat not working is one and the same. Their solution for all this is to take apart the consist and stick the problem car into consist as the center car. It is no surprise that some mixed cars are having problems as generally speaking the U2 cars they are using for them are problem cars.

Car 2090 was a center car on a mixed consist yesterday.......car 2090 is a center car on most occasions mixed or regular consist...that thing is a piece of JUNK!

2070 was out today as the middle car between 2 SD160s.

Edit: when I originally posted this (the train was heading west), I was at Centre St. waiting for a 202. 25 minutes later, the first 202 to show up is that train. Way to go CT. :angry:

Edit: when I originally posted this (the train was heading west), I was at Centre St. waiting for a 202. 25 minutes later, the first 202 to show up is that train. Way to go CT. :angry:

S&@t happens. You never know what can cause a late train. Lots of times, it could be something totally beyond our control....police holds a train, tracks are blocked by a car (or is in the open pit switches at either end of 7 Avenue), a fight onboard, windows hanging out of high-rises, or even a mechanical failure of a switch or train. It's not always transit's fault. Sometimes yes, but often not. I know it won't help, just sayin'. :angry:

That train came out of AG around 5am, then headed north to 10th, then NE, that may of been the 1st mixed in the NE.

201s where on a 24 minute headway early in the morning. Also a 202 had a disc brake fire in the NE yesterday....That may of caused some delays on 7th ave.

S&@t happens. You never know what can cause a late train. Lots of times, it could be something totally beyond our control....police holds a train, tracks are blocked by a car (or is in the open pit switches at either end of 7 Avenue), a fight onboard, windows hanging out of high-rises, or even a mechanical failure of a switch or train. It's not always transit's fault. Sometimes yes, but often not. I know it won't help, just sayin'. :angry:

Yep, I know there's lots of different situations, but most of my frustration stems from how there were no announcements of any kind informing us of a delay. I actually don't mind delays too much if there's some sort of information as to WHY there's a delay. But just having to stand there until your train eventually shows up with no idea as to when that will be is different.