Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

3 minutes ago, armorand said:

The end of Winnipeg Transit as we know it... the city would be rioting within seconds. I seriously hope its a sincere mistake. ?

It seems to have been, they pulled it for now even on the ones that are known for sure to be getting replaced.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:03 AM, trebor204 said:

I have a feeling that the city might need to put some of these up to deal with those geese around the Beaumont bend:

1447278142_UntitledGooseisnotauthorizedvehicle.thumb.png.bd44735cdba94c025218ad599870cfba.png

Some technical information on the BLUE line from Winnipeg Transit API

https://api.winnipegtransit.com/home/api/v3/services/routes

New for April 12, 2020

BLUE route in effect

Beginning on April 12, 2020, a new route, BLUE, will be starting service.

A few notes about the data you'll see for BLUE:

• The key and number attributes will be "BLUE".
  • The name attribute will be blank.
  • The badge-label attribute will be "B".

Colour looks like #0060A9 (From Style sheet) - (Edit: Same Colour as before on Routes 160, 162, etc)

https://api.winnipegtransit.com/stylesheets/routes.css (Save As, then over as a text file)

https://www.color-hex.com/color/0060a9   

20 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

It seems to have been, they pulled it for now even on the ones that are known for sure to be getting replaced.

I have a feeling that the city might need to put some of these up to deal with those geese around the Beaumont bend:

1447278142_UntitledGooseisnotauthorizedvehicle.thumb.png.bd44735cdba94c025218ad599870cfba.png

I think deer would also be a problem just east of Parker Station due to the open prairie between the CN mainline and the Transitway. There is a similar patch along Phase 1 between Osborne and Harkness, however there is a fence preventing deer from crossing the CN mainline there.

• Sad 1

Seeing as all phase 2 stations have passing lanes, why is there no BLUE super express? This would replace the 137/161 and could operate on an identical route to BLUE, and go non-stop from Southpark/Markham Station to Osborne Station.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MMP15 said:

Seeing as all phase 2 stations have passing lanes, why is there no BLUE super express? This would replace the 137/161 and could operate on an identical route to BLUE, and go non-stop from Southpark/Markham Station to Osborne Station.

I assume the reason why Osborne and Harkness don't have passing lanes is due to their proximity to the CN mainline. Both stations are less than 5 metres from the CN track.

2 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Let's start a prediction pool to try and guess which bus will have the honors of being the first Blue run. Even though I'm tempted to go with 371 or 398 because these were bought for Blue use, I'm gonna take a chance and say that 369 gets the honors. Second guess would be 143 going 2 for 2.

How about #111, the MTHA's 1937 Twin Coach model 23R??

• Haha 3

59 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Let's start a prediction pool to try and guess which bus will have the honors of being the first Blue run. Even though I'm tempted to go with 371 or 398 because these were bought for Blue use, I'm gonna take a chance and say that 369 gets the honors. Second guess would be 143 going 2 for 2.

This seems like a good opportunity to début one of the new arrivals, but if they want to use the XD60s for the BLUE Line, I’m going to go with 388. A chance to redeem itself for the mud incident.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

This BLUE teaser image at Seel was included in the budget draft yesterday, with U of M sign that occupies two lines now. Painfully low resolution original but at least smart objects from PDFs do some favors.

blueuofm.png

Has newer model Luminators; shows Blue in an Orange box... my OCD must be kicking in. ?

BLUE is a new rapid transit line that will provide frequent, reliable, high-speed service between Downtown, the University of Manitoba and St. Norbert.

With the debut of BLUE, some current routes in Southwest Winnipeg are being replaced with new ones, while other routes are being changed.

Line diagram of the BLUE rapid transit line

Starting April 12, 2020, BLUE will travel along the Southwest Transitway in order to bypass congestion on Pembina Highway. Passengers will be able to catch the BLUE rapid transit line at Southwest Transitway stations, as well as stops along Graham Avenue and Main Street downtown, and Pembina Highway south of Markham Road.

Frequency of BLUE Service

Weekday-Rush Hour Weekday-Day Weekday-Night Weekend-Day Weekend-Night
BLUE  SWT Mainline  4-5 min 6 min 10-15 min  10-11 min 10-12 min
BLUE – U of M Branch  4-8 min 7-13 min 20-30 min  20-22 min 20-35 min
BLUE – St. Norbert Branch  8-15 min 20 min 20-30 min  20-22 min 20-35 min

What are feeder routes?

Feeder routes are shorter routes that take passengers from local communities to Southwest Transitway stations and major stops on Pembina Highway.

Feeder route buses are less likely to be delayed since they avoid areas of the city with congestion, like Downtown. Feeder routes in Southwest Winnipeg are three digits long, and start with a “6”.

Transit routes and schedules in Southwest Winnipeg are changing

All changes to Transit routes will go into effect April 12, 2020. Signage will go up at affected bus stops in the weeks leading up to the change, so people know what routes will operate in their community afterwards.

In addition to new routes being added, some existing bus routes will also change.

Southwest Transit Network Map PDF

Click the map to view a printable version of the new Southwest Winnipeg network

Shaping a network

Thank you to everyone who provided input to Winnipeg Transit in the route-planning process — online, over the phone and in-person at the Ideas in Motion Bus pop-up events.
The resulting network was shaped by your ideas.

Starting in late March, you will be able to plan trips on the improved network using 
the Navigo Trip Planner.

In the meantime, you can use the lists below to explore maps of the new routes and updated routes, and see how frequently they will run.

Frequency of New Feeder Routes

Route Weekday-Rush Hour Weekday-Day Weekday-Night Weekend-Day  Weekend-Night
635 Osborne Village 15 min 20-25 min 20-25 min 20-25 min 20-25 min
641 Lindenwoods West 20 min 30-35 min 30-35 min 30-35 min 30-35 min
642 Lindenwoods East 20 min 30-35 min 30-35 min 30-35 min 30-35 min
649 Chevrier 20 min 25 min 40 min 40-50 min 40-50 min
650 McGillivray 15 min 20-25 min 40 min 40-50 min 40-50 min
662 Richmond 15 min 40 min 40 min 35-40 min  35-40 min
671 Dalhousie 15 min 25 min 45 min 25 min 50 min
672 Killarney 15 min 25 min 50 min 25 min 50 min
676 Bridgwater/River Road 10 min 35 min 35 min 35 min 35 min
677 Wilkes 15-20 min 15-20 min 30 min 15-30 min 30 min
690 Industrial 10 min
691 Whyte Ridge 10 min
693 Waverley Heights 10-20 min
694 Wildwood 30 min

Changed Routes

How will I plan my trip?

By logging on to the Navigo Trip Planner! Winnipeg Transit’s existing trip planning tools will be updated in late March, when you’ll be able to start exploring trips and route schedules throughout the new network in Southwest Winnipeg.

The Southwest Transitway

Completed in 2019, the Southwest Transitway is an 11-kilometre dedicated roadway constructed to keep the BLUErapid transit line separate from other traffic, allowing buses to travel at speeds up to 80 km/h.

Passengers will have access to a number of amenities along the Transitway, designed with an easier, more comfortable commute in mind.

Seel Station

Of the new Park and Ride parking spots, 665 are located adjacent to Seel Station.

Park and Ride

The launch of the BLUE rapid transit line will bring passengers new opportunities to park their cars and hop on board Winnipeg Transit – more than 1,000 new park and ride spots have been installed at Seel Station and Clarence Station.

The parking spots are available for special events at attractions along the BLUE Rapid Transit Line, including IG Field, and are provided free of charge for anyone using Transit services.

Active Transportation

A protected and accessible active transportation path runs along the full length of the Southwest Transitway, connected to existing active routes. It will be illuminated at night to enhance safety and visibility.

Bike Lockers and Racks

Each station along the Southwest Transitway is outfitted with bike lockers, to allow for easy transitions from bike to bus.

For passengers who prefer to take their bikes with them, each of the 28 new articulated buses purchased for the launch of BLUE will be outfitted with a bike rack capable of carrying two bicycles, in all seasons but winter. Online schedules display a bike icon to identify routes with bike racks on them.

Station Amenities

Winnipeg Transit is rolling out new digital displays that will feature real-time passenger information at each of the stations, which will also include heated bus shelters.

Public Art

Passengers riding the BLUE rapid transit line will be able to take in public art projects along the route, thanks to a partnership with the Winnipeg Arts Council.

Kettle

Métis artist Ian August’s ‘Rooster Town Kettle’, located at the Beaumont Station

The new works to be launched alongside BLUE include:

• Rooster Town Kettle and Fetching Water by Ian August, located at Beaumont Station
  • Furrows in the Landby Jeanette Johns, located at Seel Station and McGillivray Overpass
  • ROW ROW ROW by Public City Architecture and Urban Ink, located at Clarence Station
  • Salt Fat Sugar / Your Water is Safe by Bill Burns, located at Chevrier Station
  • テンサイ (Tensai) by Cindy Mochizuki and Kelty Miyoshi McKinnon of PFS Studio at Plaza Station
  • (Un)Still Life with Spoked Wheels by Warren Carther, located at Chancellor Station and Bishop Grandin Overpass
  • Métis Land Use by Tiffany Shaw-Collinge, located at Markham Station

Sugar Beets at Plaza Station
テンサイ (Tensai) by Cindy Mochizuki and Kelty Miyoshi McKinnon of PFS Studio, located at Plaza Station

What comes next?

Winnipeg Transit knows passengers are excited to ride with BLUE and will be updating this page with more information about the service between now and April 12.

Stay tuned for frequently asked questions and more detailed schedule information.

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/service/blue-rapid-transit/

here’s some info on blue line 

• Like 1

A few observations:

- 1.) The “changed routes” section includes the 74 and the 91, though looking at those maps, I don’t see any changes to the routes themselves. Why did they include them? Probably because of the schedule changes?

- 2.) I noticed that the schedule on the Route 68 map includes Saturday hours, even though cuts to Saturday service on that route have been proposed. So, what’s going on there?

- 3.) I notice the model bus in those photos is 391. I wonder if that gives us an impression as to which bus will work the first run.

3 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

A few observations:

- 1.) The “changed routes” section includes the 74 and the 91, though looking at those maps, I don’t see any changes to the routes themselves. Why did they include them? Probably because of the schedule changes?

- 2.) I noticed that the schedule on the Route 68 map includes Saturday hours, even though cuts to Saturday service on that route have been proposed. So, what’s going on there?

- 3.) I notice the model bus in those photos is 391. I wonder if that gives us an impression as to which bus will work the first run.

I heard that any route that is a feeder that touches the blue line won’t be cut and 74 is no longer serving tuxedo park 

21 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

I heard that any route that is a feeder that touches the blue line won’t be cut and 74 is no longer serving tuxedo park 

I wonder what sort of vehicles the feeders will use. Would any of them get small buses? The only current D30LF route that’s being replaced is the 94, but seeing as they’re using the XD60s for the BLUE line and you’ve mentioned that they plan to use the new 400s for the feeders, would they use 19- and 24-year-old buses, even if they’re smaller, on these routes if everything else is a year or less old?

10 minutes ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I wonder what sort of vehicles the feeders will use. Would any of them get small buses? The only current D30LF route that’s being replaced is the 94, but seeing as they’re using the XD60s for the BLUE line and you’ve mentioned that they plan to use the new 400s for the feeders, would they use 19- and 24-year-old buses, even if they’re smaller, on these routes if everything else is a year or less old?

I believe all the feeders will be 40 foot buses as of right now I don’t think they plan on using the 30 foot buses or anything no Air conditioned in the summer and spring but we will see come opening day and Ik it won’t be a 40 foot on the first blue line bus as they promised artic buses so I can’t see them using the 40 foot buses on the blue line 

23 minutes ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

I believe all the feeders will be 40 foot buses as of right now I don’t think they plan on using the 30 foot buses or anything no Air conditioned in the summer and spring but we will see come opening day and Ik it won’t be a 40 foot on the first blue line bus as they promised artic buses so I can’t see them using the 40 foot buses on the blue line 

Of course, at times, dispatch could do a much better job of making sure only certain buses do certain work at certain times. Just on Monday, I saw a 400 on an all-day 21 and I saw a Calgary bus doing an all-day 11 on a Sunday a while back. On the other hand, I’ve noticed that there are some weekday runs (29-12, 66-1 and 83-3 among them) that get 2010-2013 LFRs or XD40s almost exclusively, if not exclusively, and I haven’t seen or ridden a 40-footer of any model on an all-day 36 this change.

Would anybody really give a hoot if the first ever BLUE run at 6 AM is a 40 fter? Besides, it'll be a launch party bus anyway. The ribbon cutting and free tour rides day (if someone's able to find out when that is let me know!) is where all the media hype will be and they can drag a few XD60s out of regular service for their glamour shots. Also, all the TV news doesn't even wake up until 8 on Sundays, if you're lucky ?

Surely on any other day all 28 won't be in use all at the same time on BLUE even at peak. Maybe 16 at most. Other routes still need and benefit from them (36, 54, 59) and there aren't enough D60s to go around.

17 minutes ago, ConnorsCompShow said:

Would anybody really give a hoot if the first ever BLUE run at 6 AM is a 40 fter? Besides, it'll be a launch party bus anyway. The ribbon cutting and free tour rides day (if someone's able to find out when that is let me know!) is where all the media hype will be and they can drag a few XD60s out of regular service for their glamour shots. Also, all the TV news doesn't even wake up until 8 on Sundays, if you're lucky ?

Surely on any other day all 28 won't be in use all at the same time on BLUE even at peak. Maybe 16 at most. Other routes still need and benefit from them (36, 54, 59) and there aren't enough D60s to go around.

D60 Galaxy, you say? ?

5 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

I don’t think they plan on using the 30 foot buses

Forgot to mention Route 91. Right now, it’s a 30-foot route exclusively, but that’s probably because right now, that bus does the 91 for 4 hours and then the 109 dial-a-ride bus for another three. I don’t see why that route couldn’t get 40-footers if they’re getting rid of the 109 and replacing it with extended hours on the 91, though looking at Google Street View imagery of the area, I’m not sure how 40-foot buses would be able to make that turnaround behind Sobeys.

2 hours ago, BusRider said:

What's with the 47 going to the U of M. I thought the whole point was to cut down on routes passing through the suburbs and going downtown.

Also I see no mention of the St Norbert DART. Has that been eliminated?

No more dart in st Norbert replaces with 91 all day and 47 to u of m is great will help get students from u of m to Transcona 

2 hours ago, Wpgtransit11-25 said:

A55B6465-28CE-477D-AA68-E32AFD88BA55.thumb.png.e7185775b028e5c678d3ef7c3460e188.pnghere’s your new blue line run card 

I thought it was going to be numbered 199? Also, 610s for codes? Are 600s already used for something? I know there are a few oddballs out there (i.e. 300s-390s for RT Phase 1, 910s, 920s and presumably 930s for the Spirits).

1 minute ago, SirAndrew710 said:

I thought it was going to be numbered 199? Also, 610s for codes? Are 600s already used for something? I know there are a few oddballs out there (i.e. 300s-390s for RT Phase 1, 910s, 920s and presumably 930s for the Spirits).

They did away with giving phase 2 a route number but for computer purposes it needs a run number so it is 100-1 thru -31