2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

Saw a Ferrier GM (68x on the route 17) with blue and yellow stripes but the newer 'ETS' logo on the side. How many GMs are running around like that now?

I thinks it still just the two... 682 and 691 (which I saw today, first time in a month or more). 683 might also end up with the ETS decal.

Great, everybody's out and about without me. I'm stuck spending the afternoon at the denstist (check-ups and cleaning) with my kid.

I think Ken had Unit # 127 on Run 12010 today. Janice had Unit # 160. Run 318 had Unit # 144 today (that figures, Pally is off today :) ). Just about all our faves had trolleys today. I did take notice of most of them while 'in transit' but did not have the opportunity to get Unit #'s.

There was a Route 5 with a retriever issue at WTC at about 1445. The WW van was going to give it a new retriever, but he had about 6 other 'house calls' to make before this one. I think it had a C/O because this would have been the bus right behind Janice, and that run (506) did have a D40LF in the evening.

• Board Admin

See: http://etspe.ca/special/dragontrolley-06/dragontrolley.php for more pictures!

"Since 1998, the 97 Street and Area BRZ has had a decorated trolleybus run during the Lunar New Year Firecracker Parade. Traditionally, 1947 Brill #148 had been decorated and sent out in the parade, but this year marked the first time a BBC trolley was used. Not only was the bus fancily decorated for the event, it also provided warmth for anyone who attended. Dignitaries who rode the bus included Mayor Stephen Mandel, Councillor Michael Phair, and Conservative MP Laurie Hawn."

ets102d.jpg

Come on down tomorrow to 97 Street! (Remember, no bus service on that street between 103A Avenue and 107 Avenue.)

179 will be the Dragon Trolley tomorrow.

Approximate Dragon Trolley Times:

11:20 – Pacific Rim Mall

11:25 – Gate of Happy Arrival, northbound

12:30 – Gate of Happy Arrival, southbound

12:45 – Pacific Rim Mall

12:50 – 1:30 97 Street area

Please note times may be affected by the pace of

the parade and are approximate.

Correction: 179 is the trolley, not 155

There is a family day charter today doing a big loop basically through downtown by Churchill Square (Art Gallery), Grant MacEwan College, the Legislature Grounds, the Library, and anywhere else that may have Family Fun Events happening.

Lots of trolleys out on the Route 3/120 & the Route 5. A lady on the Route 7 saw a Route 120 going through the crossover on 156 Street and Stony Plain Road and she feared the whole business would come down. She said it was the most violent dewirement that she's seen in a while. That's a really bad intersection to dewire at too.

• Board Admin

Saw one of those charter buses empty along 104 Avenue.

4096 has a "Cummins Engine Power" logo on the bottom left of its tailgate, by the reverse light.

Also, with the new 9 programming, the 9 on the rear Balios signs only goes from the left-most one to the right-most one, rather than cycling through all 4.

On route 164 Canossa - "Canossa" looks rediculously big.

At about 1630, 111 was signed up as "XX Special" while southbound on 101 Street after the traffic circle, presumably going out for testing. If successful, I assume that it will be in service very soon!

Also saw Strathcona 883 (ex-SM Classic) in an unusual location - 97 Street and 118 Avenue, heading for the traffic circle, signed up as "Charter".

Lots of trolleys out on the Route 3/120 & the Route 5. A lady on the Route 7 saw a Route 120 going through the crossover on 156 Street and Stony Plain Road and she feared the whole business would come down. She said it was the most violent dewirement that she's seen in a while. That's a really bad intersection to dewire at too.

I thought only Dennis had a problem there :huh:.

The 'usual' holiday deal: trolleys on Westwood runs, a mix on Mitchell runs. Unit 161 was doing the afternoon run of the 133 that's usually interlined with the 140 and gets a low floor. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it was the only bus running in the river valley this afternoon, but its shoes were in atrocious shape by the end of the day.

156 was changed over on 101 St/107 Ave for unit 130 at about 1523.

179 was on a 3 this afternoon, still stocked with "dragon trolley" brochures.

All the AM Mitchell runs got trolleys, the PM runs got diesels. I rode 161 home from Downtown on the 133, with a standing only load. Of course, all over the city today was the lovely mish-mash that is "Enhanced Saturday/Reduced Weekday" service. Half the buses were running on weekday service, the other half on Saturday service with connections being all out of wak. I arrived at Jasper Place on 179 on the 133 at quater to 8. There was a 14,109,113 and 114 all there, having arrived to drop off their passengers, as they were all running on their weekday/Saturday midday times. However, since the 1 was on a normal Saturday schedule arriving at Jasper Place on the hour and half hour, and the 120 was on Saturday service starting earlier, leaving the terminal at 08 and 38, there was no bus to take the passengers downtown, unless they wanted to sit on a 7 for another 7 minutes, or take a 3 far out of their way. So, during the AM the 1/120 was providing 8-22 minute service eastbound, and 3-27 minute service westbound, meanwhile during the PM rush hour, the 1 was every 15 minutes, but the 120 stops at 4:30 and the 100's only every 30 minutes. Down near Heritage, the 35/36/37/38/39/44/48/49 routes running into Heritage Valley and Terwilleger were all running, but the 47 was not, forcing anyone who wanted to go Downtown to take a 17 wandering through the neighborhoods, before going express at Southgate (though, this is a problem that exists in all off peak times now). Out east, the 82 brings new meaning to the word useless, running only from Bonnie Doon to 50 St/Whyte Ave, forcing anyone who wants to go to the industrial areas along 50 St to ride down to Millgate and get an 84 northbound. Up in Castle Downs, the 151 did its entire route with a 60 minute frequency, giving it a generous 30 minute layover at Castle Downs TC. The 9 in the AM was all 40 footers, while in the PM it was an artic on every other run only. The absolute joys of ETS that exist only on these special days.

I thought only Dennis had a problem there :huh:.

The 'usual' holiday deal: trolleys on Westwood runs, a mix on Mitchell runs. Unit 161 was doing the afternoon run of the 133 that's usually interlined with the 140 and gets a low floor. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that it was the only bus running in the river valley this afternoon, but its shoes were in atrocious shape by the end of the day.

156 was changed over on 101 St/107 Ave for unit 130 at about 1523.

179 was on a 3 this afternoon, still stocked with "dragon trolley" brochures.