2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

NOOOOOO! 629 was one of my Mitchell favorites! (Even though it spent half of its final days in the shops)

629za2.th.jpg

This is a bad sign. If they are going to retire blue GMs instead of just white ones, the 500s could dissapear any day now :lol:

ETS probably needs to actually take delivery of some buses before they can really retire much at all. So I think the 500's will be safe for atleast a little bit until the 2006 deliveries arrive (the batch that has been ordered prior to this expected 220).

• Board Admin

Yeah, it was probably the accident that caused it to be retired. They are going to get rid of them anyway, so why repair it?

Hopefully the new ones will show up soon. The last couple of years they started early in the year, or really late the previous year.

So on Thursday, mid morning, when the sun was out, Mitchell Service comes out to JPC with their truck to change shoes on the trolleys. And what are they putting on....Steels !!! Orders from GHQ. Dennis is flipping out, there is NO frost on the lines...why the heck are the service people putting on steels ? Fast forward to Sunday early morning. Service is putting carbon shoes on the trolleys going out. Mitchell phones WW. WW says there is no frost so go ahead and put carbons on. What the heck ?!?!?! Dennis says on his drive to work there was a good coating of frost on the lines. Dennis insists on steels, but NO, WW says to put on carbons, so carbons it is !!! "What a haywire outfit" says Dennis as he sadly shakes his head in disbelief and bewilderment. So anyhow, not even a trip goes by and he radios in to request a shoe change. Control calls back to arrange a changeover as this is easier to do. (Since when has changing a bus over at the garage been easier and/or more efficient than just having a guy on a ladder with a bucket of shoes) ? Dennis had Unit # 144, and it was an awesome bus. I don't know what he got for a C/O, but he was not alone, Unit # 180 got swapped for Unit # 4326. What a haywire outfit is right !

So on Thursday, mid morning, when the sun was out, Mitchell Service comes out to JPC with their truck to change shoes on the trolleys. And what are they putting on....Steels !!! Orders from GHQ. Dennis is flipping out, there is NO frost on the lines...why the heck are the service people putting on steels ? Fast forward to Sunday early morning. Service is putting carbon shoes on the trolleys going out. Mitchell phones WW. WW says there is no frost so go ahead and put carbons on. What the heck ?!?!?! Dennis says on his drive to work there was a good coating of frost on the lines. Dennis insists on steels, but NO, WW says to put on carbons, so carbons it is !!! "What a haywire outfit" says Dennis as he sadly shakes his head in disbelief and bewilderment. So anyhow, not even a trip goes by and he radios in to request a shoe change. Control calls back to arrange a changeover as this is easier to do. (Since when has changing a bus over at the garage been easier and/or more efficient than just having a guy on a ladder with a bucket of shoes) ? Dennis had Unit # 144, and it was an awesome bus. I don't know what he got for a C/O, but he was not alone, Unit # 180 got swapped for Unit # 4326. What a haywire outfit is right !

I bet if Dennis had the time, equipment and shoes, he would change the shoes himself.

:lol:

Excellent. I trust the driver was pleased with your recommendation. :lol:

Initially he tried to back the bus a little bit, and that actually cleared the pole from the insulator and back onto the metal part, but the distance was too short, not enough to generate any momentum to make through. The driver had an accent and his driving performance was excellent.

• Board Admin

Yeah, I think so. I was off work at 1630 but I waited a bit talking to my coworker before hopping on the train. If you waited a bit for the next train too then it probably was you! :lol:

I thought to myself... there's no trolleys up this way, what are the possibilities. :P But I didn't take the Alberta Hospital into account.

Now this is one reply of Terry's that I'm waiting very impatiently for :lol:

Cool your jets, Microbus.

My aunt is in Alberta Hospital. Lots of major league power lines up that way (the kind with the baubles on them), but alas, no contact wire and no trolleys. My aunt should be coming out of the Alberta Hospital and into Long Term Care as soon as there is a vacancy somewhere. She should have been properly assessed / diagnosed long ago but my mom did more harm than good by trying to cover things up about my aunt and telling the medical professionals that everything was OK.

• Board Admin

But then again maybe not, as most of the ads have been there for a long damn time. :lol: (ie. Red Arrow, Guru diploma programs) But I'm sure they would ask for a lot of money to do that. Too bad they didn't do a wrap like has been done in Calgary - then that would be a first! The Enmax Churchlil campaign was pretty interesting.

The Bear also has a wrap on one of the LFs - I saw it a while ago and T6H-5307N has a pic.

I do have a pic :lol: :

4268s1co2.th.jpg

As Martin said, I was at Millgate, while on the way to Ferrier. 629 is definitly retired :lol:

629rs2cm9.th.jpg

629rzu5.th.jpg

I'm going to assume that Mike Dasher took a similar front shot of 629 yesterday because there were footprints in the two feet of snow leading to the fence :P

As Martin said, I was at Millgate, while on the way to Ferrier. 629 is definitly retired :lol:

It was one of things that makes me wonder how many others intersted in transit I may have encountered without knowing it. I was on the same vehicle as T6H-5307N on two seperate, coincidental occasion today.

I should have looked up the first time (4047). I didn't even notice until I met you on that LRT car! Funny coincidence I got on that car. I was going to get on the front car (1003), but it was more crowded than the second (1013). Then I decided to go sit in the inward facing priority seating, and lo and behold you were sitting right in front of the artic joint. :lol:

I do wonder how many people there are who take pictures and do not post here. On more than one occasion, I have seen someone taking pictures, and then I come back here and nobody admits to it.

It was one of things that makes me wonder how many others intersted in transit I may have encountered without knowing it. I was on the same vehicle as T6H-5307N on two seperate, coincidental occasion today.

I've often wondered the same thing too ! There's scads of us transit enthusiasts. I see people taking bus/trolley/LRV pics all the time while I am out and about. Or sometimes a driver will tell me he/she had his/her pic taken and was wondering if it was one of 'the gang' taking pics.

Yup, those would be my footprints (say thanx for breaking the ground), and Martin has the film!

*this actually marks the retirement of my maxxum 50, I am now sony a100 dslr for future pics

I took a couple from the rear at the opposite angle and a couple from the front but zoomed in 300 worth ')

*FYI, most 55mm lens fits into the frost fence grids, so it's almost like they are not there.

No kidding, remember that guy from Holland last summer, taking mostly jimmy and bbc pics too!

And the fella from Toronto that I met at my corner (he was taking Clarke's pic the day before when we were on Clarke's bus). He's even a member of ERRS. What a small world chock full of transit enthusiasts.

Today there was a driver named Jeff on the Route 5 (Unit # 126). He is also a transit enthusiast, although I would place him in a beginner category...but that's a good start. He is going to buy an X-ETS fishbowl and renovate it to include a hot tub in the back. He requested trolley work today because he is very fond of trolleys and he's been to SF & Vancouver. From just talking to him, I feel he's just starting out here, but his heart is in the right place. He has a computer and I gave him a list of websites to check out to further his interest. :lol:

A good case for get-togethers. Just so we can recognize each other. Although everyone has the right to privacy/anonimity. There was once a young fella at Kingsway Transit Center. Never saw him before or since, but I got the strong impression he was a transit-fan, just by the way he was looking around and conducting himself. You recognize your own traits in others. :lol:

I remember him. He was taking pictures of the 5/135 at the Charles Camsell when I went by on bus 151 on the way to work. Then, the @$$hole of a driver stops the bus, yells at him to delete those pictures, and then radios control to sayt that the "trolley guys are at again." :lol:

No kidding, remember that guy from Holland last summer, taking mostly jimmy and bbc pics too!

I've often wondered the same thing too ! There's scads of us transit enthusiasts. I see people taking bus/trolley/LRV pics all the time while I am out and about. Or sometimes a driver will tell me he/she had his/her pic taken and was wondering if it was one of 'the gang' taking pics.

And some of us are enthusiasts who don't snap pics but simply spot as we commute daily in our "non-transit" vehicles :lol: