LRT Spottings

Is it just me or does 1051 have a cracked windshield? I saw it briefly as the middle car and I could have sworn there was a crack in the windshield with one of ETS's yellow out of service stickers on the inside of the window in the corner.

Riding the 55 today... westbound 57 Ave approaching 111 St. N/S traffic moving... 1 train blocks crossing... second train blocks crossing... EB traffic gets turn signal... and predestrian countdown signal actives for around 30 seconds... No WB traffic moves... N/S traffic moves... another train blocks the crossing... EB traffic gets to go... FINALLY. After at least 5 minutes WB traffic gets a green.

Bus driver yelled out with excitement!!!

On a SD trainset today... We got nailed by a penalty stop. Nothing major, seemed normal, not terribly violent like I seemed to remember from that one time. Mind you, I don't even entirely remember if it was an SD that time... could have been a U2. I ride those when I can!

Belgravia McKernan platform extension is underway. Old ramp has been demolished. Signs have appeared at HSS north ramp warning of upcoming construction.

City looks to reduce LRT congestionBrooke Lees, Global News: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:58 PM

The city of Edmonton is considering running LRT trains at shorter intervals to help reduce crowds when summer holidays end in September.

With the influx of returning University students it is expected 7,000 people per hour will be riding the LRT in each direction in peak hours.

One short term solution being considered is running the trains every 4 1/2 minutes instead of every five minutes, but this plan will need to be tested to ensure the schedule doesn't interrupt traffic, like it did when the new LRT service opened in April.

Electrical system upgrades scheduled to be completed next January should reduce crowding by allowing all trains to operate with four cars during rush hours, instead of some using three cars as now happens.

Transportation general manager, Bob Boutilier, also hopes the province announces funding for the NAIT LRT line by the end of June, which would allow Edmonton to immediately order 10 new LRT cars.

"These could run on the existing track until the new line is completed", he said.

Although the province has expressed support for LRT construction, it hasn't committed a specific amount of money to help pay for the project.

With files from The Edmonton Journal

© Copyright © CW Media Inc.PrintEmailShareFacebookTwitter

Source http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/City+looks...7936/story.html

Yep. Wouldn't want to interupt the poor traffic too much...

Michael and I noticed that for Sunday's football game, a lot of the time the signs on the SLRT were showing 4 minutes between trains. While we didn't sit there with stopwatches trying to see how much time was between trains, perhaps this was in fact a test to see if they could run 4.5 minute service.

I heard on the news today that the City is asking lrt riders to modify their schedule so they are not allriding the lrt at the same time during rush hour.

What a great solution, First its Take the LRT to get you there faster. Now its leave one hour earlier so you beat the rush then sit at work for an hour.

I heard on the news today that the City is asking lrt riders to modify their schedule so they are not allriding the lrt at the same time during rush hour.

What a great solution, First its Take the LRT to get you there faster. Now its leave one hour earlier so you beat the rush then sit at work for an hour.

I thought they originally only suggested 15-20 minutes extra, now you say it's 1 hour?

I believe there is encouragment for businesses to allow workers to work shifts that aren't exactly "regular" hours so that the TTC doesn't get too taxed.

Still can't help but wonder if they should have kept the 17 express service... or at least maintained a bit more capacity in the 109 St corridor.

• Board Admin

My 4-car U2 train was jam packed this afternoon - arriving at Central around 1630 of course. Pretty sure some people were passed up.

The heat was on in my car too, which wasn't very pleasant.

Yep. Wouldn't want to interupt the poor traffic too much...

Michael and I noticed that for Sunday's football game, a lot of the time the signs on the SLRT were showing 4 minutes between trains. While we didn't sit there with stopwatches trying to see how much time was between trains, perhaps this was in fact a test to see if they could run 4.5 minute service.

I'll give an example on how close we run trains in Calgary, I was at Somerset Bridlewood Station (south Calgary) this morning and the train in front of me was only 2 minutes head of me, and the train behind me was 2 minutes behind me, on 7th ave there's a train ever 90 seconds (201s & 202s)

But when there's problems, there will be major delays, for example a U2 had a door bank problem, that train was delayed for 5 - 8 minutes, it took 2 hours to clean up that mess to put the right trains back on time. Then as soon it was cleaned up, there was a medical emergency downtown at 6th steet station.

Our system is maxed!

Last night, around 2030 work at BelMac required single tracking. Power was shut off on the NB track. We waited on the bridge, so, I suspect that trains were single tracking from South Campus to south portal.

This didn't make a lot of sense as after waiting for the NB to clear, by the time we got to Century Park the train was running late and had to head north right away.

Why not use the switches south of Health Sciences?

Of course, it could be that this will be a semi-regular occurance, and with work going on at HSS, as well it might just be simplest to have one big power shutdown and have work co-ordinated and take advantage of one shut down to work on two stations.

So on that note... Work on the platform extension at HSS has started as well.

So i received a call regarding the incident with the SD160 stopping aruptly last week or so. Aparently this has been a surprise to LRT as it is something they missed during commissioning. They are investigating and working now on a fix for it as it is well agreed that the sudden stop was too dangerous. The track brakes dropped down and grabbed immediatly. All i can say is Damn those are some strong brakes!

So i received a call regarding the incident with the SD160 stopping aruptly last week or so. Aparently this has been a surprise to LRT as it is something they missed during commissioning. They are investigating and working now on a fix for it as it is well agreed that the sudden stop was too dangerous. The track brakes dropped down and grabbed immediatly. All i can say is Damn those are some strong brakes!

I'll talk to the seimens guy on Monday, and see what he says about it, I'm sure that's gonna be an issue on our new trains. The SD160s do stop on dime, I'll agree to that.

I'll talk to the seimens guy on Monday, and see what he says about it, I'm sure that's gonna be an issue on our new trains. The SD160s do stop on dime, I'll agree to that.

Yep.

I didnt file a claim, however i did file the complaint so the issue would be investigated. He was surprised for the fact that i was the only one to call in, however what concerns me is he was having a hard time figure out who was driving the train at that time. I thought they always had a list of who is on what train at what time.

A little something I made based upon some data collected during a PM peak and extrapolated before and after the times I collected the data.

I was curious which trains deadhead to Century Park. It appears that 1, 2, 3, and 5 do, which means 4 leaves DLM for Clareview before 5 departs for Century Park.

All train numbers in purple are unconfirmed, however. If anyone does note train numbers during the AM peak, feel free to pass them on so I can verify them and make corrections if needed.

Train 3 running as a 4 car U2 today (midday). This meant that train 21 was SD's instead of it's usual U2's.

The magnet at S649 appeared to be malfunctioning during the PM peak. EPCOR signal crew was on scene. I'm pretty sure I saw an EPCOR dude flag the train to go through, but we stopped, then slowly proceeded and then we appeared to get stopped by the magnet and then we proceeded as normal.

Was on another SD consist earlier in the day that was shut down. No excessive braking.

Power jump today reset everything in downtown known to man including my computer and the LRT Line. i was on the train at Central when it jumped, reset all signals and shut down every lrt car on the line as control had no idea where any of the trains were. (Ghost trains!)

Took about 15 minutes to get them moving again however it will take 5 hours to get them in sync.

There was talk in our office of the power surge, but our computers are just fine. No hic-ups at all. Good thing too, imagine the pass and ticket sales computers all going down at once. YIKES.

That's pales in comparrison to, say, a grocery store going down...

Seems like it was a city wide problem.