Nova Bus LFS HEV
|Years of manufacture||2006 to present|
The Nova Bus LFS HEV is a diesel electric hybrid version of the Nova Bus LFS. It was launched at the 2006 CUTA Trans-Expo in Toronto, with the first examples going to the Société de transport de l'Outaouais at the beginning of 2007.
When launched, the LFS HEV used a parallel hybrid supplied by Allison. The standard 8.9 litre Cummins ISL engine, used on on the standard LFS, drove the wheels in combination with an electric motor. Beginning with Coast Mountain Bus Company's 2009 order, the LFS HEV was offered with the 6.7 litre Cummins ISB engine. It was reasoned that fuel savings would be maximized with the smaller engine if the buses were operated in appropriate conditions.
The Association du transport urbain du Québec, representing nine public transit agencies in the province, placed an order for hybrid buses in 2013. They specified a series hybrid system which was supplied by BAE Systems. In this configuration, the Cummins ISB engine acts as a generator and an electric motor powers the wheels directly. The series hybrid option has since become an option.
In the summer of 2017, the Société de transport de Laval introduced two plug-in hybrid buses for an 18-month trial. The two LFS HEV buses, built in 2016, were fitted with a Euro 2019 Cummins B4.5 diesel engine connected to a TM4 SUMO HP HV900 electric generator with a TM4 SUMO HD electric motor driving the rear axle. The buses are also equipped with 111-kilowatt-hour lithium ion batteries and a current collector. They can be quickly recharged in 10 minutes en route with a 450-kilowatt charging station and operate in all-electric mode for longer distances (up to 35 kilometres). The project received $4.25 million from the Green Fund, under the Technoclimat program.
|Cummins B6.7 6.7L, 280 hp||EPA 2017||2017 to present|
|Cummins ISB 6.7L, 260 hp||EPA 2007||2009 to 2010|
|Cummins ISB6.7 6.7L, 260 hp||EPA 2010, 2013||2010 to 2017|
|Cummins ISL 8.9L, 280 hp||EPA 2004, 2007||2006 to 2010|
|Cummins ISL9 8.9L, 280 hp||EPA 2010, 2013||2010 to 2017|
|Cummins L9 8.9L, 280 hp||EPA 2017||2017 to present|
|Allison H 40 EP/EP40 System||Parallel||2006 to present|
|BAE Systems HDS 200||Series||2013 to present|
|Front:ZF RL 85|
|Rear: ZF AV 132|
|Disk brakes w/ ABS & traction control|
|Volvo Bus Electronic Architecture|
|Mobile Climate Control (heater)||2006 to present|
|Thermo King Athenia||2010 to present|
|Thermo King LRT||Up to 2010|
|Plywood subfloor||2006 to 2008|
|Composite subfloor||2008 to present|
- Brantford Transit - Brantford, ON
- Coast Mountain Bus Company - Metro Vancouver, BC
- Conseil intermunicipal de transport des Laurentides (SURF) - Laurentides, QC
- Grand River Transit - Waterloo Region, ON
- Hamilton Street Railway - Hamilton, ON (demonstration)
- Oakville Transit - Oakville, ON (demonstration)
- Réseau de transport de la Capitale - Quebec City, QC
- Réseau de transport de Longueuil (RTL) - Longueuil, QC
- Roam - Banff, AB
- Société de transport de l'Outaouais - Gatineau, QC
- Société de transport de Laval - Laval, QC
- Société de transport de Lévis - Lévis, QC
- Société de transport de Montréal - Montréal, QC
- Société de transport du Saguenay - Saguenay, QC
- Société de transport de Sherbrooke - Sherbrooke, QC
- Société de transport de Trois-Rivières - Trois-Rivières, QC
- Strathcona County Transit - Sherwood Park, AB
- Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) - Toronto, ON (on order)
- Capital District Transportation Authority (CDTA) - Albany, NY (demonstration)
- Detroit Department of Transportation (DDOT) - Detroit, MI (demonstration)
- Minnesota Valley Transit Authority (MVTA) - Burnsville, MN (demonstration)
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) - Philadelphia, PA
Demonstrator and engineering units
Below is a list of known demonstrator and engineering buses.
|2006||2NVYL82W563000234||Cummins ISL||Allison EP40 System||
|2008||Cummins ISB||Allison EP40 System||
|March 2010||2NVYL82X5A3000087||Cummins ISB||Allison EP40 System||
|March 2011||2NVYL82X2B3000212||Cummins ISB6.7||Allison H 40 EP|
|July 2011||2NVYL82X7C3000367||Cummins ISB6.7||Allison H 40 EP||
|33-999 (now 1499)||January 2013||2NVYL82Z4C3000845||Cummins ISB6.7||BAE Systems HDS 200||
- STL to test two electric buses with a range extender. 22 June 2017. Canadian Urban Transit Association.
- Quebec PHEV initiative underway. Press release. 25 June 2017. TM4.