Manitoba Transit Heritage Association

DavidW

• 3 weeks later...

MTHA did a little special work for Greyhound July 27th, 2011. We transported the company's senior executive team and their "Faces of Excellence" honourees to a luncheon at the Aviation Museum. For the occasion MTHA #20 (formerly Grey Goose #20, a 1956 Western Flyer model T36-2L) was decorated in "Greyhound Lines" decals. Ironic on two counts since #20 never was a Greyhound, and the standby vehicle was Greyhound Lines #251, an ex-Grey Goose just back from being refurbished and repainted in Greyhound's new "retro" paint scheme. Secretly, it was an all-Grey Goose shuttle...

MTHA20atAviationMuseum.jpg

MTHA20atGreyhoundDepot.jpg

• 1 month later...
Today I saw bus 751 driving down portage around 4:30-5:00 going towards polo

and the old grayhound bus around 6:30-7:00 at Broadway and Osborne going into Downtown

You're keeping quite the eagle-eye on our activities! We were providing transportation for a member's daughter's wedding with the "deck-and-a-half" bus. 751 was our back-up in case of a breakdown.

• 2 weeks later...
Someone should take 643 (1987 D40) out for a ride one of these days. Possibly as a weekend charter to garner up MTHA interest so I can pay $5 to ride it :)

The Manitoba Transit Heritage Association has voted to send to scrap the following buses:

#28 (1960 GM model TDH-4517, ex-Beaver Bus Lines) - dead battery

#643 (1987 New Flyer model D40, ex-Winnipeg Transit) - dead battery

#953 (1981 OBI model Orion 01.501, ex-Winnipeg Transit) - rusty

#747 (1953 CanCar model CD44ATC, ex-Winnipeg Transit) - unrestored

#35 (1965 GM model TDH-3501, ex-Brandon Transit) - unrestored

#W4 (196? GM model TDH-3501, ex-Brandon Transit) - parts source for #34 restoration

no# (1940's Twin Coach ex-Winnipeg Transit) - parts source for #111

643 should be towed to the wreckers today.

MTHA_unrestored_11Aug2007apr.jpg

The Manitoba Transit Heritage Association has voted to send to scrap the following buses:

#W4 (196? GM model TDH-3501, ex-Brandon Transit) - parts source for #34 restoration

OH NO!! NOT 643 and 28 !!! Damn......

When do you expect to have the logoes & lettering on the ex RCAF Western Flyer?

The paint job on that coach isn't historically accurate. It somewhat resembles a Canadian Coachways bus, not an RCAF unit. As for decals, from the attached photo I'm of the impression that all that's needed is a few letters and numbers. My proposal was to just put "RCAF" and the fleet number on the existing paint (since its vaguely "air force" blue and has a wing motif) but the answer was "no".

RCAF_westernflyer_builders.jpg

#643! I didn't see that one coming. I'm going to miss #953 as well. :)

W4 was Brandon Transit Bus #52 and i believe it was a 1969 model.

It was used by the water dept for a few years after being retired from transit duty. Explains the Yellow paint, all Brandon city work trucks were yellow in those years.

Out of nearly 400+ D40s made, there SHOULD be a battery, shouldn't there? If it costs, I'd donate money to get it and keep 643 around

I'm sure there is a greater reason, to why 643 is being put out to pasture. It doesn't seem like the MTHA to just get rid of it because of a dead battery.

I'm sure there is a greater reason, to why 643 is being put out to pasture. It doesn't seem like the MTHA to just get rid of it because of a dead battery.

Then whats the reason? They aren't sending 107 to the scrapyard, yet its 4 years older and probably rarer to find D901 parts...

Then whats the reason? They aren't sending 107 to the scrapyard, yet its 4 years older and probably rarer to find D901 parts...

I am sure that the MTHA has a very good reason. Most likely, it is due to body issues. All of the D40-87 buses had severe body problems due to bad steel.

If you are so upset, contact the MTHA, put in a bid and save it yourself.

I am sure that the MTHA has a very good reason. Most likely, it is due to body issues. All of the D40-87 buses had severe body problems due to bad steel.

If you are so upset, contact the MTHA, put in a bid and save it yourself.

I'm an 18 year old, no drivers license and part-time. I cant exactly do that :)